Nolan defense system is trash is so bad

Sydla

Reaction score
All good points but cut the guy some slack, do you realize the players in our secondary would be backups on most teams?

You don’t have anyone who can line can up with a receiver 5 yards off the line of scrimmage so you are reduced to playing soft zones and giving up yardage hoping your D-line can bail you out by pressuring the passer.

The system would work with good players, point is he is here for a couple of years. Start teaching the system now and hope you can fill the holes next year as opposed to scrap everything and start next year.

Why cut a mediocre DC slack? The fact you think we will field a really good D under him when he gets some better players is the first mistake.

Daillest88

Reaction score
His system is trash. But to be honest we just to be one and done with this coaching staff. Clean house. Jaylon needs to go period. Zeke. He just needs to reevaluate himself for real this offseason. I don’t think he will be the same player, it’s crazy tho he’s had this offense line, he shouldn’t be this worn down already. Need to go really heavy on defense this draft

Last edited:

Daillest88

Reaction score
Can’t say it enough. Jerry needs to really look at himself , like dude your like 80. You have have a good foundation on This team just need to clean house with the coaches. And get the best available and go alllll out on defense this draft.. Surtain:). Cut Jaylon . Restructure the right contracts and get one big name player on defense in free agency. Safety or DT.

Sydla

Reaction score
His system is trash. But to be honest we just to be one and done with this coaching staff. Clean house. Jaylon needs to go period. Zeke. He just needs to reevaluate himself for real this offseason. I don’t think he will be the same player, it’s crazy tho he’s had this offense line, he shouldn’t be this worn down already. Need to go really heavy in the draft

Here's the problem with keeping Nolan too. We know that coaches have influence on Jerry and Stephen when it comes to drafting - it's how Marinelli was able to talk them into taking Hill and Taco over safeties and Watt. We shouldn't want Nolan anywhere near the draft but unfortunately.................

Carson

Reaction score
How do you make millions and are unable to gameplan for what Washington threw at us?

I get it when your secondary is decimated with injuries. But it’s not like they went five wide and spread. Smith dropped off every pass

Majic

Reaction score
Here's the problem with keeping Nolan too. We know that coaches have influence on Jerry and Stephen when it comes to drafting - it's how Marinelli was able to talk them into taking Hill and Taco over safeties and Watt. We shouldn't want Nolan anywhere near the draft but unfortunately.................

I doubt it will work like that as MM has already said, it will be a case of taking the best player and moulding the system to get the best out of them. They were burnt by Marinelli. Are you seriously trying to say that Nolan does not recognise talent?

Sydla

Reaction score
I doubt it will work like that as MM has already said, it will be a case of taking the best player and moulding the system to get the best out of them. They were burnt by Marinelli. Are you seriously trying to say that Nolan does not recognise talent?

And yet they keep trying to force guys into situations they aren't suited for on defense. Nolan keeps trying to use his DEs in coverage as if he's playing a 3-4 with OLBs. The number of times you see Lawrence or Armstrong in coverage is peculiar. That's not a situation where they are molding the scheme to the talent they have. That's Nolan trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

And no, I don't think Nolan is some sort of wiz kid at talent evaluation. I think allowing him to continue as DC beyond this year has a two fold problem - one, he's not a very good DC and that reflects in his scheme and two, he's going to be trying to acquire players that fit into his flawed scheme.

You'll eventually learn what some of us already recognize (and some recognized when he was hired before he even coached a game here). He's not a very good DC.

Reactions: BAT

Blue64

Reaction score
Why cut a mediocre DC slack? The fact you think we will field a really good D under him when he gets some better players is the first mistake.
I bet you and everyone else last week where applauding him.
How about realizing about from a couple of players your secondary couldn’t start on on the majority of teams in this league.
Second rate players provide second rate results.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If Nolan comes back next year I wont be on here and my fandom will be postponed. I'm not wasting my time with this defense another year no matter what players come in.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Blame it all on Jaylon Smith.....right?
Yeah screw that I know that's easy for people to do but this whole defense has been lost...I give them credit for the past few weeks but I don't know if that was because of great scheme or if it was simply the defense getting more comfortable playing in a poor scheme.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Nolan comes back next year I wont be on here and my fandom will be postponed. I'm not wasting my time with this defense another year no matter what players come in.
It won't even matter what players they bring in. This scheme has rarely if ever worked. It sure hasn't worked with Nolan running it so there's literally no one they can bring in to fix this. If they continue this next season we basically conceded next year before this season has even ended......

Sydla

Reaction score
I bet you and everyone else last week where applauding him.
How about realizing about from a couple of players your secondary couldn’t start on on the majority of teams in this league.
Second rate players provide second rate results.

I have never, ever applauded Nolan. I was against his hire almost from the start. He was a retread hire that only got the job because he was buddies with McCarthy.

He's not a very good DC and you thinking he'll be really good when he gets better players are just wishfully thinking at this point.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He needs to be let go and play a dame 4-3 defense , get rid of this absurd nickle package all of the time, I can deal with playing 2 lb and getting run all year

mr JMP---- finally..its encouraging to hear another chatter who is incensed with DC Nolan and his cold stone stupidity to not only entertain but attempt to install a brand new complicated defense with very little practice time

and i lay it at foot of McCarthey who signed off on it...pure Bafoonerey...i am no coach but i can tell you it wont even pass the smell test....our players may not be elite but they are better than they play because they are confused

which leads poor communication etc etc etc....i have no patience for not giving your players a chance from the beginning..then i heard McCarthey lied to Jones that he was spending all off season studying analytics and where he

went wrong etc..and he himself said it was not true...he just wanted the job....get him out of there Jones

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watch the Cowboys defense its like there are gaping holes in zones and gaping holes for RBs. I watch the Commanders defense and they have 10 guys all within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and the ball is snapped and they just swarm in at the QB and stuff the RB in the backfield along the way. I hate Nolans defense and though he should be fired after the Rams game.

mr. Hadenough---- the coaching is just not smart...you dont attempt to install brand new complicated defense with little practice and training time...that is just stupid....and McCarthey signed off on Nolan's smart scheme

and when you noted how Wash defensive players swarming toward ball...that is coach Ron Rivera specialty...he will make sure you got a good defense....but the greatest bafoonery was when we were only down 20-16

in 4th quarter with 4th down at our own 20....and McCarthey signed off not only foolish fake punt...but a play that was slow developing ( long reverse ) ...it was doomed from the start..its like McCarthey is ensuring we

shoot ourselves in the foot no matter what.....get em all out of there Jones...but he probably wont...it might make him look like he made a mistake

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It won't even matter what players they bring in. This scheme has rarely if ever worked. It sure hasn't worked with Nolan running it so there's literally no one they can bring in to fix this. If they continue this next season we basically conceded next year before this season has even ended......

mr rocy--- i have never been this incensed after a cowboy loss in 50 years with exception of "the catch"( will forever hate 49ers because of that )....i am reading the good posts of all you guys that can clearly see obvious stuff and we

are only laymen....hope you are having good holiday considering

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He needs to be let go and play a dame 4-3 defense , get rid of this absurd nickle package all of the time, I can deal with playing 2 lb and getting run all year
It appears that you have no clue what scheme they're running.

There is nothing wrong with the scheme.

Maybe the coaches are not doing enough to teach the scheme but the scheme itself is not the problem.