Non Existent OL Depth

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Look on the bright side you will likely never have a situation where the entire OL is made up of 2nd and 3rd string players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Said the Giants 2-3 years ago.

We are not the giants. For the most part your likely to have and 2nd unit guy filling in because of injury but it is a lot easier to do your job when you have pro bowlers around you as opposed to having players with limited playing time.

conner01

Reaction score
just shocking how bad our back ups are. Outside of Collins and Mack I didn't see a single guy that really belongs on the 53. Weems looked like Rob Pettiti out there. Hoping our swing tackle isn't currently on the roster.

That's an insult to rob petiti
Weems was about as bad as you can get
Hard to see what the tackle does on every play but I only seen on good block on a run play, but there could have been more
But on pass plays rowdy could have done about as well
Not a fan of moving Collins because most players are better when they learn one thing well before learning another and I've always thought he could be a serviceable tackle or a good guard
I would rather bring in someone and let him stay at guard
I must say though Weems scares me to death and dill is not even worth camp fodder
Haven't heard anything on green in awhile but hope he can get back
I'm not one to panic over the first pre season game but our backup OT was so bad I think it's warranted

conner01

Reaction score
What do you guys think the average team's 8th through 10th offensive linemen look like?

It's not about the 8th thru 10th oline guy
It's about your only backup tackle who will be active in a game
We look pretty solid at guard but I don't see how anyone could not be concerned about our 3rd tackle

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I keep thinking to the same thought that I had when we signed Collins: Free is our best swing tackle.

Collins can play RT between Witten and Martin and stay in one spot. You keep that world class interior line and Free has experience at both RT and LT to be the top backup. Given his age and recent injuries I prefer relying on him in case of emergency and several spot starts as opposed to 16 games. He makes $5m but considering his replacement is making a pittance its a luxury one can afford.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't know if its about having great players starting and behind... My concern would be protecting the blindside, if needed...... we could shift from there....

This goes against conventional wisdom, but so long as Romo is healthy, I am more concerned with the interior line's ability than the edge. There are ways to compensate for the interior between he, TEs and RBs. The middle needs to stay solid.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
This goes against conventional wisdom, but so long as Romo is healthy, I am more concerned with the interior line's ability than the edge. There are ways to compensate for the interior between he, TEs and RBs. The middle needs to stay solid.

I like the depth we have inside. Collins/Leary (whomever is the reserve), and Bernadeau is solid.... If Weems continue to struggle. Tackle is the place where we have to be prepared.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We have an awesome top 7 (top 8 if you're not giving up on Weems and I don't think you should and this doesn't even include Green) and people complaining about lack of OL depth.

If you believe this slap yourself.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
just shocking how bad our back ups are. Outside of Collins and Mack I didn't see a single guy that really belongs on the 53. Weems looked like Rob Pettiti out there. Hoping our swing tackle isn't currently on the roster.

This is probably the least of my concerns. You dont need 5 great backups. You need one or two. We probably have the best backup in the history of the NFL in Collins. Beardeau is very solid and then we have a 3rd round pick tackle that isnt even playing at this point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't play Tyron, Free or Chaz. Weems was merely adequate. Dill and Wetzel awful.
But those guys weren't making the team anyway.

The Cowboys want Collins focused on one position much like Zach Martin last year.
Considering how well that worked and how good Collins looked at LG I'd say the4y are a heck of a lot smarter than the fans.

That OL come week 1 is going to be really friggin nasty.

Tyron needs to stay healthy but we can cover everything else.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Who in the NFL has great depth all across the OL?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on guys, we've been hitting home runs right and left on this OL . Rome wasn't built.......

IMO it was #1 in pass protection and #3 in run blocking, it will be scarier this year.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I'd try Collins at left tackle first.

That may be why they are keeping him at left guard. He is used to that side and if we needed a left tackle he could just slide over. Weems and Free seem better suited to the right side.