Non Existent OL Depth

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If free goes down that leaves us with 4, count em, 4 first round all pros on the oline. They help hide Free's deficiencies and they can do the same for Weems.

Also if Free went down I think that would force Collins to move out there and compete with weems. Dallas has much better options for backup tackle than most teams. We're fine.

The have:
Weems: Has not played a snaps in a real NFL game in 3 years in the NFL. He has not even been active for a game. Active backup OL at least get to block for field goals and extra points which he has not been able to do.

Collins: Has yet to take a practice snaps (in pads) at OT and never played a snap on the right side in college.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i think its to early to tell, im putting more faith in Pollack and that he will have this line done very well.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Weems will be fine, he just needs some time to shake the rust off and get reps. OL depth is the least of our problems.

mldardy

Reaction score
Collins has yet to practice at OT. The position where depth is lacking is OT. Free has has 2 foot/ankle surgeries in the past 18 months and is getting older. Weems stuggled. Collins is playing LG. There are questions both about his ability to play OT and his ability to play on the right side. I think he can do both eventually, but he can't become a RT without practicing there.

Parnell started 7 games at RT last year and only allowed 1/2 sack according to a detailed review by Bob Sturm.

He can play OT. Your argument is pretty baseless and pointless right now. Like I said depth is nice to have but if players off any teams OL gets hurt you are screwed anyway. I think we have manageable pieces but no team has serious OL depth that I know of so it really doesn't matter.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can play OT. Your argument is pretty baseless and pointless right now. Like I said depth is nice to have but if players off any teams OL gets hurt you are screwed anyway. I think we have manageable pieces but no team has serious OL depth that I know of so it really doesn't matter.

No, this started when I said the depth was better last year. They indeed were NOT screwed when the "starter" Doug Free missed 7 games including both playoff games.

Did you really say that it does not matter because no teams have OL depth? That might be the most baseless and pointless thing I've ever heard.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Did Gibson get out there last night? I didn't notice him at all but I have a hard time paying attention to such bad football late in preseason games

mldardy

Reaction score
No, this started when I said the depth was better last year. They indeed were NOT screwed when the "starter" Doug Free missed 7 games including both playoff games.

Did you really say that it does not matter because no teams have OL depth? That might be the most baseless and pointless thing I've ever heard.

Yeah I did say that because it doesn't matter. If your OL starters drop off because of injury it's not going matter much because it isn't going to be nearly as good as the starter. It's like every other position in this league now outside of maybe RB. You lose a starter or multiple starters you aren't going to have the same level of play. My goodness man how much depth are you expecting. Are you expecting us to have All Pro backups on the OL. It's not going to happen. We have what he have at this point. Like I said most teams don't have good OL starters let alone backups. Most teams would love to have what we have as starters. Be happy with that. You can't have everything on an NFL team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I did say that because it doesn't matter. If your OL starters drop off because of injury it's not going matter much because it isn't going to be nearly as good as the starter. It's like every other position in this league now outside of maybe RB. You lose a starter or multiple starters you aren't going to have the same level of play. My goodness man how much depth are you expecting. Are you expecting us to have All Pro backups on the OL. It's not going to happen.

The backup RT was better than the starter last year.

Proximo

Reaction score
If we don't have O-line depth, no team in the league does. Unless we trade away one of our own, or a starter gets injured in preseason, we will have 2 backups that could easily be starters in this league. That IS the definition of depth.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
just shocking how bad our back ups are. Outside of Collins and Mack I didn't see a single guy that really belongs on the 53. Weems looked like Rob Pettiti out there. Hoping our swing tackle isn't currently on the roster.

I heard that Collins played a little bit of Tackle in college. So I'm assuming he probably could do it if the coaching staff ask him to. Frankly, I'd try in right now in the RT position and not blink an eye. It would be a waste of talent if he's not in there playing on game day.

lostar2009

Reaction score
just shocking how bad our back ups are. Outside of Collins and Mack I didn't see a single guy that really belongs on the 53. Weems looked like Rob Pettiti out there. Hoping our swing tackle isn't currently on the roster.

I been saying it for a while let Martin get some reps at RT.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score

wow there is a blast from the past, I forgot all about Pettiti....:cool:

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
You are right, if the entire OL were to become incapacitated, things would be bleak, BUT, the entire line isn't going to go down at once, so it's a matter of replacing one person, and Collins appears more than capable and, Weems could fill in for Free easily

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I heard that Collins played a little bit of Tackle in college. So I'm assuming he probably could do it if the coaching staff ask him to. Frankly, I'd try in right now in the RT position and not blink an eye. It would be a waste of talent if he's not in there playing on game day.

He was a left tackle.