Non Existent OL Depth

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd try Collins at left tackle first.

I've been thinking about that also. If the left/right thing is really a big issue, then let's see him at LT (his primary college position) to see how he looks at OT without having to move to the right side.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep thinking to the same thought that I had when we signed Collins: Free is our best swing tackle.

Collins can play RT between Witten and Martin and stay in one spot. You keep that world class interior line and Free has experience at both RT and LT to be the top backup. Given his age and recent injuries I prefer relying on him in case of emergency and several spot starts as opposed to 16 games. He makes $5m but considering his replacement is making a pittance its a luxury one can afford.

I'm really going to be irritated if Free get's Romo injured this year. For a few more dollars they could have had a good RT...:D

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
A little too much panic here. You are only going to have 7 OL active for the games anyway. That means you bring Bernie and Collins as backups, which I felt was a virtual certainty anyway. You switch Free to LT if something happens to Smith and move Collins to RT preferably. If not then you let Martin slide to RT and put Collins inside. Either way there will be capable replacements to man any position that goes down.

What the coaches are finding out early in preseason, just like they are supposed to, is that Weems has a looong way to go before you can activate him. I suspect you are going to see one more week of them giving Weems a chance to correct some things for the second preseason game while starting to show their hand a little bit in the ensuing practices by playing either Martin or Collins more at RT.

The reality is that this is what the early games in preseason are for, to iron out the question areas of your team and attempt to build a little depth. They are giving guys who don't belong on the roster yet an opportunity to prove they do. The contingency plans are already in place if they don't see what they need to from these borderline roster players like Weems.

It really is an embarrassment of riches when your top 7 OLineman are as talented as the Cowboy's are and you are wringing your hands about who is number 8. Unless a disaster happens the starters like Free and Martin provide all the versatility this team will need in a crunch at tackle. I mean honestly if both starting tackles were to go down in the same game this team still has the ability to move Martin to LT, Collins to RT, and Bernie to G in what would truly classify as a disaster. What would most teams have to do?

If you want to worry about something, worry about backup QB, where there is absolutely no one to play the role of Beuerlein should we lose Romo for a 3-5 game stretch during a championship run.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That may be why they are keeping him at left guard. He is used to that side and if we needed a left tackle he could just slide over. Weems and Free seem better suited to the right side.

That's my thinking. I think 'flipping his technique' has proven to be more of a challenge than any of us would like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been thinking about that also. If the left/right thing is really a big issue, then let's see him at LT (his primary college position) to see how he looks at OT without having to move to the right side.

That's my assumption on it. I think he's set in his 'left handed' technique, and - at this point anyway - I think the team has identified this and will keep him on the left side as he learns the rest of the pro game.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
People are really this worried about a backup tackle? Our oline will be fine

dogberry

Reaction score
That Viking game where both of our tackles were hurt has forever damaged me.

At least we have options now to cover that possibility.

mldardy

Reaction score
just shocking how bad our back ups are. Outside of Collins and Mack I didn't see a single guy that really belongs on the 53. Weems looked like Rob Pettiti out there. Hoping our swing tackle isn't currently on the roster.

More worrying about nothing. No team has OL depth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People are really this worried about a backup tackle? Our oline will be fine

Doug Free has has 2 foot/ankle surgeries in the past 18 months and has been missing some practices because of his foot. He is 31 and was always a borderline player. Any decline in his ability and his performance could decline rapidly.

The only guy that seems to be a legit backup in terms of practice reps at this point is Weems. Collins has not practiced at OT and I don't think Martin has taken any snaps there either. Weems has never taken a snap in a regular season game. I don't think he has ever been active for a regular season game.

Romo's healthy is by far the top priority for the team. A sub-par RT would not be good for Romo's health.

Why wouldn't the backup tackle be a big concern? It would be much easier to find a RB than a legit NFL OT.

John813

Reaction score
The Cowboys had depth last year.

LT-Parnell
LG-Bernadeau
C-Bernadeau
RG-Bernadeau
RT-Parnell

This year

LT-Weems
LG-Collins*
C-Bernadeau
RG-Bernadeau
RT-Collins*/Weems

LT tackle scares me, but other than that, I think the Cowboys still have solid depth on the offensive line depending on if Collins could be a swing Tackle.

mldardy

Reaction score
The Cowboys had depth last year.

Not really. We have about the same depth we had this year we were just fortunate that none of our starters got hurt outside of Free and Parnell was good enough to fill in. Collins replaces Parnell but after that we didn't have a lot. Expecting depth at pretty much any position in today's NFL is wishful thinking. Most teams don't even have 2-4 good OL let alone depth. We are lucky to have good starters and Collins.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. We have about the same depth we had this year we were just fortunate that none of our starters got hurt outside of Free and Parnell was good enough to fill in. Collins replaces Parnell but after that we didn't have a lot. Expecting depth at pretty much any position in today's NFL is wishful thinking. Most teams don't even have 2-4 good OL let alone depth. We are lucky to have good starters and Collins.

Collins has yet to practice at OT. The position where depth is lacking is OT. Free has has 2 foot/ankle surgeries in the past 18 months and is getting older. Weems stuggled. Collins is playing LG. There are questions both about his ability to play OT and his ability to play on the right side. I think he can do both eventually, but he can't become a RT without practicing there.

Parnell started 7 games at RT last year and only allowed 1/2 sack according to a detailed review by Bob Sturm.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LT-Parnell
LG-Bernadeau
C-Bernadeau
RG-Bernadeau
RT-Parnell

This year

LT-Weems
LG-Collins*
C-Bernadeau
RG-Bernadeau
RT-Collins*/Weems

LT tackle scares me, but other than that, I think the Cowboys still have solid depth on the offensive line depending on if Collins could be a swing Tackle.

RT is the issue, IMO.

Maybe Weems will be better at RT, but I'm concerned about his readiness to play real games.

Collins can't become a RT without practicing at RT which he has yet to do.

In a detailed review of the OL by Bob Sturm, it turns out that Parnell was better than Free last year.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Losing Parnell doesn't suddenly spell doom for our offensive line depth. People are greatly overreacting right now.

Weems struggled and the line looked beat a few times against a team that blitzed like it was midseason. The addition of Romo checking down/changing plays as well as the threat of Witten and Bryant would have negated a significant amount of that pressure and those blitzes. The Chargers loaded up the box against our second and third string offense. Without our best offensive players, we would have needed eight offensive lineman to stop them last night.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
RT is the issue, IMO.

Maybe Weems will be better at RT, but I'm concerned about his readiness to play real games.

Collins can't become a RT without practicing at RT which he has yet to do.

In a detailed review of the OL by Bob Sturm, it turns out that Parnell was better than Free last year.

And Parnell got paid like it and is gone. Move on.

erod

Reaction score
just shocking how bad our back ups are. Outside of Collins and Mack I didn't see a single guy that really belongs on the 53. Weems looked like Rob Pettiti out there. Hoping our swing tackle isn't currently on the roster.

You do realize that two high quality backups is more than any team in the NFL, right?

This offensive line is the deepest in the NFL.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Doug Free has has 2 foot/ankle surgeries in the past 18 months and has been missing some practices because of his foot. He is 31 and was always a borderline player. Any decline in his ability and his performance could decline rapidly.

The only guy that seems to be a legit backup in terms of practice reps at this point is Weems. Collins has not practiced at OT and I don't think Martin has taken any snaps there either. Weems has never taken a snap in a regular season game. I don't think he has ever been active for a regular season game.

Romo's healthy is by far the top priority for the team. A sub-par RT would not be good for Romo's health.

Why wouldn't the backup tackle be a big concern? It would be much easier to find a RB than a legit NFL OT.

If free goes down that leaves us with 4, count em, 4 first round all pros on the oline. They help hide Free's deficiencies and they can do the same for Weems.

Also if Free went down I think that would force Collins to move out there and compete with weems. Dallas has much better options for backup tackle than most teams. We're fine.