Non Traditional Thanksgiving Sides

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Everybody is doing turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, and mashed potatoes. What non traditional Thanksgiving sides do you make?

I do spicy pork tamales in my pressure cooker every year that always get cleaned out.

German sausage. We have a great little German place where I live that makes their own coarse ground pork sausage off their own farm. It's the best sausage I've ever had and I put it in the smoker over my turkey so the pork fat renders on my bird while it's cooking.

Stuffed jalapenos. To save prep time I do them in the oven. Split the pepper lengthwise leaving the ends on and scrape out the seeds. Mix well an 8oz cream cheese, 2 cups grated Parmesan, 1 cup Hormel real bacon bits, salt, pepper, and garlic. Stuff the peppers and bake them at °425 for 25-30 minutes. It's way easier than wrapping bacon and toothpicks. Leaving the ends on gives you a nice handle and keeps the cheese from running out.

Beer. Holidays always get to stuffy for me. I keep several beers on hand and we start drinking at noon!

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Everybody is doing turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, and mashed potatoes. What non traditional Thanksgiving sides do you make?

I do spicy pork tamales in my pressure cooker every year that always get cleaned out.

German sausage. We have a great little German place where I live that makes their own coarse ground pork sausage off their own farm. It's the best sausage I've ever had and I put it in the smoker over my turkey so the pork fat renders on my bird while it's cooking.

Stuffed jalapenos. To save prep time I do them in the oven. Split the pepper lengthwise leaving the ends on and scrape out the seeds. Mix well an 8oz cream cheese, 2 cups grated Parmesan, 1 cup Hormel real bacon bits, salt, pepper, and garlic. Stuff the peppers and bake them at °425 for 25-30 minutes. It's way easier than wrapping bacon and toothpicks. Leaving the ends on gives you a nice handle and keeps the cheese from running out.

Beer. Holidays always get to stuffy for me. I keep several beers on hand and we start drinking at noon!
sounds yummy....nothing like that here....traditional items only

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I love stuffed jalapenos. I make them a little different.

I cut the tops / stem off and then use a butter knife to clean out the seeds and stuff.

I use (1) 8 ounce philly cream cheese block, a cup of shredded cheddar, and (2) Tbsp of a BBQ poultry dry rub mixed in the kitchenaid.

I take a slice of bread and cut out circles slightly larger than the hole in the top of the jalapeno. I use this to cap the jalapeno after stuffing it.

I wrap each one in bacon and bind the bacon to the jalapeno with a toothpick. I then place it in my smoker (with hickory smoke) for about 15 minutes at 225F.

Once that is done, I switch them to the oven at 375F until the bacon reaches the desired cooked consistency.

Then I eat as many as I can before someone else figures out they are ready to eat! :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I love stuffed jalapenos. I make them a little different.

I cut the tops / stem off and then use a butter knife to clean out the seeds and stuff.

I use (1) 8 ounce philly cream cheese block, a cup of shredded cheddar, and (2) Tbsp of a BBQ poultry dry rub mixed in the kitchenaid.

I take a slice of bread and cut out circles slightly larger than the hole in the top of the jalapeno. I use this to cap the jalapeno after stuffing it.

I wrap each one in bacon and bind the bacon to the jalapeno with a toothpick. I then place it in my smoker (with hickory smoke) for about 15 minutes at 225F.

Once that is done, I switch them to the oven at 375F until the bacon reaches the desired cooked consistency.

Then I eat as many as I can before someone else figures out they are ready to eat! :D
You're in Bethel, right? :grin:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Thanksgiving around my extended family always include a lot of Spanish dishes but in my immediate family, we stick more to the traditional. My Wife is Nordic and German so we usually do Turkey, stuffing, various potatoes dishes and more traditional veggie dishes. However, there are a couple of things we usually do.

Green Chile Pork Gravy. That's basically what is says. Fresh Chopped Green Chile (not Jalapenos), Spicy Red Chile Sausage fried, Ground Beef fried, Chopped Onions, boiled potatoes diced, turkey or Chicken Broth, Garlic diced, salt pepper cooked just as you would gravy and servered over Turkey or Mashed Potatoes.

Red Chile Gravey. That's basically Red Chile Pods soaked over night in water, steamed and pureed in a blender with Garlic, Pork cut up into small chuncks and sauteed in butter, diced potatoes all boiled in a pot and servered over Turkey or Mashed Potatoes or added into Beans and Hamhocks.

Good old Pinto Beans with Hamhocks. Not trick to this one, just don't burn em and soak your beans over night. Cuts down on the after effects. ;-)

Calibacitas. This is basically squash and it can be any kind really but summer squash works well. Maybe get two to three different types for color. Corn Kernals, Onion diced, and this is really important, good fresh hot Green Chile, Salt and Pepper, Garlic if you like it, Olive Oil and Butter. Warm the butter and oil in a saute pan. Saute the squash, onion for maybe 10 to 15 just enough to soften contents. Then add the corn and the green chile, season to your liking and cook another 10 to 15 covered, until all is tender. Add half and half to and simmer if you like a creamier thicker texter (which I do BTW) and cook till about half the liquid is reduced. You can server this as a dished side or as a type of casserole. If casserole, then simply put it in a backing dish, add Cheese over the top and let it melt. Jack, Chedder, whatever. I myself love a Green Chile Havarti that works really well.

Green Chile, Chorizo Sausage Corn Bread Stuffing. Chorizo or Red Chile Fleck or Cajun Spicy Sausage will also work, stuffing, Chicken Broth and basically prepare like you would your normal stuffing. Either back it in a baking dish or stuff your bird with it.

These are the Thanksgiving things that I bring to the table from my side of the house. I taught my wife how to make all of these but of course, she makes all of them better then I do so.........

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanksgiving around my extended family always include a lot of Spanish dishes but in my immediate family, we stick more to the traditional. My Wife is Nordic and German so we usually do Turkey, stuffing, various potatoes dishes and more traditional veggie dishes. However, there are a couple of things we usually do.

Green Chile Pork Gravy. That's basically what is says. Fresh Chopped Green Chile (not Jalapenos), Spicy Red Chile Sausage fried, Ground Beef fried, Chopped Onions, boiled potatoes diced, turkey or Chicken Broth, Garlic diced, salt pepper cooked just as you would gravy and servered over Turkey or Mashed Potatoes.

Red Chile Gravey. That's basically Red Chile Pods soaked over night in water, steamed and pureed in a blender with Garlic, Pork cut up into small chuncks and sauteed in butter, diced potatoes all boiled in a pot and servered over Turkey or Mashed Potatoes or added into Beans and Hamhocks.

Good old Pinto Beans with Hamhocks. Not trick to this one, just don't burn em and soak your beans over night. Cuts down on the after effects. ;-)

Calibacitas. This is basically squash and it can be any kind really but summer squash works well. Maybe get two to three different types for color. Corn Kernals, Onion diced, and this is really important, good fresh hot Green Chile, Salt and Pepper, Garlic if you like it, Olive Oil and Butter. Warm the butter and oil in a saute pan. Saute the squash, onion for maybe 10 to 15 just enough to soften contents. Then add the corn and the green chile, season to your liking and cook another 10 to 15 covered, until all is tender. Add half and half to and simmer if you like a creamier thicker texter (which I do BTW) and cook till about half the liquid is reduced. You can server this as a dished side or as a type of casserole. If casserole, then simply put it in a backing dish, add Cheese over the top and let it melt. Jack, Chedder, whatever. I myself love a Green Chile Havarti that works really well.

Green Chile, Chorizo Sausage Corn Bread Stuffing. Chorizo or Red Chile Fleck or Cajun Spicy Sausage will also work, stuffing, Chicken Broth and basically prepare like you would your normal stuffing. Either back it in a baking dish or stuff your bird with it.

These are the Thanksgiving things that I bring to the table from my side of the house. I taught my wife how to make all of these but of course, she makes all of them better then I do so.........
I am coming to your home for Thanksgiving.

Some of the non-traditional dishes we often serve include:. Roasted acorn squash drizzled with melted butter and a dusting of cinnamon, grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon, and a standing rib roast instead of turkey or ham.

This year, I scored some real black caviar (feel like I am talking about a drug deal) which my wife and I will share with toast points, butter and a wee bit of vodka.

Last edited:

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score

I love calibacitas and make it sometimes for veggie tacos. We also do pinto beans for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm stealing your pork gravy recipe...sorry.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Some of the non-traditional dishes we often serve include:. Roasted acorn squash drizzled with melted butter and a dusting of cinnamon, grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon, and a standing rib roast instead of turkey or ham.

This year, I scored some real black caviar (fill like I am talking about a drug deal) which my wife and I will share with toast points, butter and a wee bit of vodka.

Brother, you are always welcome. The roasted acorn squash is traditional to me but I'm the only one. LOL.... None of the kids like it but I love it. I grew up on it but that tradition comes from my Family in Illinois and Missouri. So yes, acorn squash, cut in half, seasoned with cinnamon sugar, butter and salt, covered with with foil and baked until soft and then uncovered at the very end to give it a little crisp (not burned) at the end. I love it but I'm the only one. Maybe it is I who should make the trip to you Brother!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This year, I scored some real black caviar (fill like I am talking about a drug deal) which my wife and I will share with toast points, butter and a buttload of vodka.
FIFY

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I love calibacitas and make it sometimes for veggie tacos. We also do pinto beans for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm stealing your pork gravy recipe...sorry.

It's cool Jimbo, take whatever you would like and enjoy it. I stole your Margarita Recipe years ago so the way I see, we are more then even.

:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only two sides this year, a cranberry-cherry chutney to go on the fried turkey sourdough sammiches the days after and Waldorf salad with Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples, red and green grapes, celery, toasted walnuts and mayo with lemon juice and zest.

I do not even like the traditional sides for TDay or Christmas and feel like a slug after eating that.

If you are looking for a knockout side and have the time, roast Brussel sprouts at 375 for 20-25 minutes along with chopped pancetta and when that's all done, toss with a little real maple syrup. I do this with duck and it's outstanding and a flavor bomb in each bite.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

What, no Margarittas?