Audio: Norm Hitzghes: Earth to Bruce Carter

Zordon

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of Norm's points. Dline>Linebackers. If Carter shows poor effort again, he won't play for Marinelli. Some on CZ want to give him the excuse about the scheme change, I'm glad Marinellis isn't buying that crap. Very slim chance we re-sign Carter, regardless what happens this year. Shazier was supposed to be his replacement. Follow BC on twitter, you'll learn quickly football is not a priority to him. UNC seems to breed these types of players on a yearly basis.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of Norm's points. Dline>Linebackers. If Carter shows poor effort again, he won't play for Marinelli. Some on CZ want to give him the excuse about the scheme change, I'm glad Marinellis isn't buying that crap. Very slim chance we re-sign Carter, regardless what happens this year. Shazier was supposed to be his replacement. Follow BC on twitter, you'll learn quickly football is not a priority to him. UNC seems to breed these types of players on a yearly basis.

What do you mean it's not a priority to him? I don't follow him.

CashMan

Reaction score

His last Tweet was from December, and why would what he puts on twitter, suggest football is not a priority?

Zordon

Reaction score
His last Tweet was from December, and why would what he puts on twitter, suggest football is not a priority?

He stopped tweeting b/c people were dogging on him after the season. Before that he was tweeting non-stop about video games and shoes. It's my personal observation so don't derail the thread.

OhSnap

Reaction score
It's a fair assessment. The time missed and scheme change can't be ignored when your trying to figure out why Carters under performing, but it CAN be ignored when your talking about re signing him I would have no problem with that. He may be content to move around the NFL as a journeyman showing flashes here and there when he feels like it and never really putting in time in the film room, he is looking like that guy right now. He may be more valuable in the long run if he has a good year, get's a good contract and pays off with a comp.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Yeah you turned me on to his Twitter postings early last season (before he deleted/changed topics, etc.) with him posting about just about anything but football (nightlife, shoes, loving "the life" type stuff;)). No one is saying the man can't have hobbies or even a night life but priorities were OFF. He is such an athletic freak (was supposed to be NFL sized Coakley in my book:eek:) but he is lazy and can't shake blockers once engaged (Bobby C).

Needs to get his "man" back (showed flashes in first PHI game). I think he didn't like the lack of coddling on behalf of Rod & Elb (sp?) (too friggin bad). Would be an ideal cover LB if he took to the extensive film study behind that phase:cool:. His athleticism really could make his "play making" his "mark" @ the Will considering his Safety type speed but needs to put in more work. Really eccentric/erratic dude, which is completely fine if you produce; OScan.

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Dallas isnt getting rid of Carter. Shazier was going to be the WILL and Carter was going to switch to his more natural posistion on this defense the SAM

JBS

Reaction score
Arian Foster was tweeting about cats and poetry. I guess Houston should start looking for another RB.

If foster sucked like carter sucks then yeah. Kind of how it works. If you suck you usually get replaced

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He stopped tweeting b/c people were dogging on him after the season. Before that he was tweeting non-stop about video games and shoes. It's my personal observation so don't derail the thread.

Guess we gotta find football players that don't prefer video games or shoes.

CashMan

Reaction score

Is Martellus Bennett's twitter all about football?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norm hit this one out of the ball park. We still need another high draft pick on the DL but next year we need to address LB early also.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Norm can stick his narrative up his rear. I have watched most of the games and have seen two instances where he showed poor effort.

There was the Chargers game early in the season. He had inside leverage and good coverage against the RB but a good QB can beat single coverage and with deep throws to the outside, Carter was unable to make a play and if effected his play. He was demoralized and taken off the field.

The AM media has taken this narrative and have continued to talk about it ever since.

Now he did have issues in pass coverage especially early. LB in their drops are supposed to be aware of the shorter routes like curls and comebacks that will happen in front of them. The OLB are also supposed to get deep enough in their drops to attack routes over them too like ins and posts. A lot of the poopooing that Brandon Carr would get was based on inside routes and who was it there are the inside to help him?

When it was Lawrence and Sims there might as well have been nobody at all. If the ball wasn't out by the time they got to their drop they were worthless. Sims only knows how to chase the ball and Lawrence is the rookie special teams ace and 7th LB. So when Lee went out the entire middle of the field opened up.

But even Lee struggled early too. They were ill prepared for the way Manning used his backs to pound sprints into their coverage but as time went by they did get better. Carter did as well.

The weeks following San Diego, Eberfuls put Carter back out there and teams tried to get behind him again. They ran several wheel routes tot he weakside but Stafford and co could not make the throw. He is very rangy with those long legs and his drop is sweet to get under throws and he attacked the underneath stuff snuffing out completions for short games.

His recognition improved in the run game and he was meeting blockers in the hole even if things worsened as Hatcher and Ware got beat up and their play worsened in front of him. Watching him play I see him taking on tons of blocks and while sometimes especially if they got a free release off the line they got the better of him, as often he was winning those battles by either stoning his guy or shedding to make the play himself. His ability to chase stuff from the weakside when the blockers had to stay in was impressive.

Then the second Giants game happened. The Giants offensive line sucks and Carter was physically dominant out there. Hynovski their FB was also out and our guys dominated the line of scrimmage. The size of both Carter and Wilber shined and we beat up their blockers and smothered receivers.

Then in the second half, Coughlin uncorked a play specifically designed to exploit Carter in single coverage. They run the slot across the formation and with him on the run snap the ball. It was an arena football play and Myers ran a good route up the sideline. Carter lets him get behind him and allowed a 20 yard completion. He pulls up in disgust, fails to down the receiver and Myers runs into the end zone.

Aikman called it unacceptable and sport 'journalists' had their story.

Thing is that Carter did not allow it to effect his play. He went back out there and continued to play a good game.

He continued to play a good game against games from that point people claimed he dogged it. I have hear that he dogged two weeks earlier against the Saints which is not true. I have heard it again against Chicago, Washington and Philadelphia. I am not waiting for some ninny to make the claim against Green Bay. It just is not true.

Now you see writers asking coaches about it and fabricating a story. He is not lazy and Norm needs to speak for himself and not the coaching staff. He hates losing and failure. You should be able to work with that.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dallas isnt getting rid of Carter. Shazier was going to be the WILL and Carter was going to switch to his more natural posistion on this defense the SAM

I think he can play SAM but with his ability to run sideline to sideline the will is his better position.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think he can play SAM but with his ability to run sideline to sideline the will is his better position.

Agree but he's a hitter. I think he would be much more impact if he was playing closer to the LOS. Leave the Covering to CB and S. Kiffin did Carter no favors last yr.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Agree but he's a hitter. I think he would be much more impact if he was playing closer to the LOS. Leave the Covering to CB and S. Kiffin did Carter no favors last yr.

Read my post. Carter knows how to play zone coverage. The only one on the team better at it are Lee and Church. Maybe Scandrick but he gets dominated by bigger receivers.

Any LB are going to have trouble chasing receivers 20 yards downfield without safety help and being to the TE side is not going to take him out of coverage. There are more receivers to that side in a standard lineup.

Those three catches are out of upwards of 800 snaps he played.