Audio: Norm Hitzghes: Earth to Bruce Carter

Proximo

Reaction score
I hope carter doesnt even start this season. But of course he will.

I hope the best 3 linebackers on the roster start. And with Garrett and Marinelli at the helm I believe that'll be the case. And if that includes Carter great, if not, so be it.

And I doubt they're going to start him just because of who he is/when he was drafted. They already benched him once for Ernie freakin Sims.

Proximo

Reaction score
Norm can stick his narrative up his rear. I have watched most of the games and have seen two instances where he showed poor effort.

There was the Chargers game early in the season. He had inside leverage and good coverage against the RB but a good QB can beat single coverage and with deep throws to the outside, Carter was unable to make a play and if effected his play. He was demoralized and taken off the field.

The AM media has taken this narrative and have continued to talk about it ever since.

Now he did have issues in pass coverage especially early. LB in their drops are supposed to be aware of the shorter routes like curls and comebacks that will happen in front of them. The OLB are also supposed to get deep enough in their drops to attack routes over them too like ins and posts. A lot of the poopooing that Brandon Carr would get was based on inside routes and who was it there are the inside to help him?

When it was Lawrence and Sims there might as well have been nobody at all. If the ball wasn't out by the time they got to their drop they were worthless. Sims only knows how to chase the ball and Lawrence is the rookie special teams ace and 7th LB. So when Lee went out the entire middle of the field opened up.

But even Lee struggled early too. They were ill prepared for the way Manning used his backs to pound sprints into their coverage but as time went by they did get better. Carter did as well.

The weeks following San Diego, Eberfuls put Carter back out there and teams tried to get behind him again. They ran several wheel routes tot he weakside but Stafford and co could not make the throw. He is very rangy with those long legs and his drop is sweet to get under throws and he attacked the underneath stuff snuffing out completions for short games.

His recognition improved in the run game and he was meeting blockers in the hole even if things worsened as Hatcher and Ware got beat up and their play worsened in front of him. Watching him play I see him taking on tons of blocks and while sometimes especially if they got a free release off the line they got the better of him, as often he was winning those battles by either stoning his guy or shedding to make the play himself. His ability to chase stuff from the weakside when the blockers had to stay in was impressive.

Then the second Giants game happened. The Giants offensive line sucks and Carter was physically dominant out there. Hynovski their FB was also out and our guys dominated the line of scrimmage. The size of both Carter and Wilber shined and we beat up their blockers and smothered receivers.

Then in the second half, Coughlin uncorked a play specifically designed to exploit Carter in single coverage. They run the slot across the formation and with him on the run snap the ball. It was an arena football play and Myers ran a good route up the sideline. Carter lets him get behind him and allowed a 20 yard completion. He pulls up in disgust, fails to down the receiver and Myers runs into the end zone.

Aikman called it unacceptable and sport 'journalists' had their story.

Thing is that Carter did not allow it to effect his play. He went back out there and continued to play a good game.

He continued to play a good game against games from that point people claimed he dogged it. I have hear that he dogged two weeks earlier against the Saints which is not true. I have heard it again against Chicago, Washington and Philadelphia. I am not waiting for some ninny to make the claim against Green Bay. It just is not true.

Now you see writers asking coaches about it and fabricating a story. He is not lazy and Norm needs to speak for himself and not the coaching staff. He hates losing and failure. You should be able to work with that.

Good post dude. I actually like Carter a lot and hope he plays lights out this year. Although he did have a disappointing 2013 season, I think his struggles have been embellished to a degree.

If he comes back strong in 2014 he can be a difference maker and a huge asset to us.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
He stopped tweeting b/c people were dogging on him after the season. Before that he was tweeting non-stop about video games and shoes. It's my personal observation so don't derail the thread.

Is it actually possible to derail a bash thread?

scottsp

Reaction score
I like Norm, and have been a listener for many years, but I didn't require his analysis to realize just how bad this unit has been; and I don't need the media to point out Bruce Carter's shortcomings. All of it was there for the world to see. Blech!

One can only hope Rod Marinelli's words carry weight and the changes made to the roster translate to marked improvement of a historically tragic defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norm can stick his narrative up his rear. I have watched most of the games and have seen two instances where he showed poor effort.

There was the Chargers game early in the season. He had inside leverage and good coverage against the RB but a good QB can beat single coverage and with deep throws to the outside, Carter was unable to make a play and if effected his play. He was demoralized and taken off the field.

The AM media has taken this narrative and have continued to talk about it ever since.

Now he did have issues in pass coverage especially early. LB in their drops are supposed to be aware of the shorter routes like curls and comebacks that will happen in front of them. The OLB are also supposed to get deep enough in their drops to attack routes over them too like ins and posts. A lot of the poopooing that Brandon Carr would get was based on inside routes and who was it there are the inside to help him?

When it was Lawrence and Sims there might as well have been nobody at all. If the ball wasn't out by the time they got to their drop they were worthless. Sims only knows how to chase the ball and Lawrence is the rookie special teams ace and 7th LB. So when Lee went out the entire middle of the field opened up.

But even Lee struggled early too. They were ill prepared for the way Manning used his backs to pound sprints into their coverage but as time went by they did get better. Carter did as well.

The weeks following San Diego, Eberfuls put Carter back out there and teams tried to get behind him again. They ran several wheel routes tot he weakside but Stafford and co could not make the throw. He is very rangy with those long legs and his drop is sweet to get under throws and he attacked the underneath stuff snuffing out completions for short games.

His recognition improved in the run game and he was meeting blockers in the hole even if things worsened as Hatcher and Ware got beat up and their play worsened in front of him. Watching him play I see him taking on tons of blocks and while sometimes especially if they got a free release off the line they got the better of him, as often he was winning those battles by either stoning his guy or shedding to make the play himself. His ability to chase stuff from the weakside when the blockers had to stay in was impressive.

Then the second Giants game happened. The Giants offensive line sucks and Carter was physically dominant out there. Hynovski their FB was also out and our guys dominated the line of scrimmage. The size of both Carter and Wilber shined and we beat up their blockers and smothered receivers.

Then in the second half, Coughlin uncorked a play specifically designed to exploit Carter in single coverage. They run the slot across the formation and with him on the run snap the ball. It was an arena football play and Myers ran a good route up the sideline. Carter lets him get behind him and allowed a 20 yard completion. He pulls up in disgust, fails to down the receiver and Myers runs into the end zone.

Aikman called it unacceptable and sport 'journalists' had their story.

Thing is that Carter did not allow it to effect his play. He went back out there and continued to play a good game.

He continued to play a good game against games from that point people claimed he dogged it. I have hear that he dogged two weeks earlier against the Saints which is not true. I have heard it again against Chicago, Washington and Philadelphia. I am not waiting for some ninny to make the claim against Green Bay. It just is not true.

Now you see writers asking coaches about it and fabricating a story. He is not lazy and Norm needs to speak for himself and not the coaching staff. He hates losing and failure. You should be able to work with that.

I tend to agree with this. I was re-watching some other players on the All-22 and noticed that Carter was making a lot of really good plays.

I don't really think he was dogging it any last season but he did have some times where he had that bad MartyB type of body language. He did seem to occasionally lose concentration, but I would say that was less than 1 play per game on average.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I tend to agree with this. I was re-watching some other players on the All-22 and noticed that Carter was making a lot of really good plays.

I don't really think he was dogging it any last season but he did have some times where he had that bad MartyB type of body language. He did seem to occasionally lose concentration, but I would say that was less than 1 play per game on average.

The thing that sticks out to me is that the body language comes out when he makes a bad play. It is not when Sims, Lawrence, Scandrick, or any of his other teammates failed colossally. Carter only points the finger at himself and is disgusted when he performs poorly.

I don't like it but I also think it is not necessarily a bad thing if harnessed correctly. You cannot let your emotions get the better of you of course but you can take that type of self criticism and use it to motivate and improve.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Lol at this thread..Twitter is only for football talk for serious football players?

Some folks need to get out away from their keyboards and less on the internets.

I'm afraid I have to say this doesn't surprise me anymore given the debate around here at times.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Dallas isnt getting rid of Carter. Shazier was going to be the WILL and Carter was going to switch to his more natural posistion on this defense the SAM

Carter's natural position should be in the middle.....Why the Cowboys keep that piece of glass Lee there is beyond me. The only thing that is keeping Carter from being a star is being in the right position...and that is MLB

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Read my post. Carter knows how to play zone coverage. The only one on the team better at it are Lee and Church. Maybe Scandrick but he gets dominated by bigger receivers.

Any LB are going to have trouble chasing receivers 20 yards downfield without safety help and being to the TE side is not going to take him out of coverage. There are more receivers to that side in a standard lineup.

Those three catches are out of upwards of 800 snaps he played.

I read your post, but Marinelli's version of the tamp 2 has different principals. There will be more man to man and there will be Dime packages. In situations like this will take Carter off the field. Something that didnt happen last yr because Kiffin had no trust in BW. Broaddus seems to think Kiffin was jut too stubborn to insert it, because he was stuck in his way will work, period.

I actually think when its all said and done, Durant and Carter will be starting. Hollomon did good but that was playing Mike. When he played outside he was lost. Different responsibilities.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Broaddus always makes the point to say this when talking about Carter. "People focus on his bad plays, but for every bad play Carter makes many more good plays"

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Carter's natural position should be in the middle.....Why the Cowboys keep that piece of glass Lee there is beyond me. The only thing that is keeping Carter from being a star is being in the right position...and that is MLB

I was thinking the same.

Carter had his "break out" when Lee went down in 2012 and he repaced him in the middle.
I think he is not used right playing the Will spott.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I read your post, but Marinelli's version of the tamp 2 has different principals. There will be more man to man and there will be Dime packages. In situations like this will take Carter off the field. Something that didnt happen last yr because Kiffin had no trust in BW. Broaddus seems to think Kiffin was jut too stubborn to insert it, because he was stuck in his way will work, period.

I actually think when its all said and done, Durant and Carter will be starting. Hollomon did good but that was playing Mike. When he played outside he was lost. Different responsibilities.

Carter was in on the nickle all year long last year. I really do not see that changing. I see him playing very well and surprising people especially after the smear campaign he has been getting.

Holloman came back and played mike at the end of the year and I thought looked completely clueless. He played SS at SC and I thought he showed much better instincts helping the outside. What really encourages me about him is what they say about the work he has put in transforming his body. He seemed to have issues taking on blocks but if what they say is true he has put on a ton of muscle. He didn't have an NFL body before. He looked like Hitchens does now tbh.

The competition is at SAM according to Broaddus. Wilber vs. Holloman. I like having Wilber attack and overpower finesse receiving TE and hbacks on early downs. Holloman will make plays on the ball.

TonyRomo17

Reaction score
He stopped tweeting b/c people were dogging on him after the season. Before that he was tweeting non-stop about video games and shoes. It's my personal observation so don't derail the thread.

and soccer too lmao

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The scheme change excuse is so lame. Carter was a 43 LB in college and the big question with him coming out was supposed to be could he adapt to the 34 where he'd have to take on blockers more often. So now we go back to the defense that should be better suited to him and that he's played most in his life and he needs a multi-year adjustment period? Come on.

And one of the big selling points in going to the 43 was that it was a lot easier to learn anyway.

I also find it funny that some would blame Norm for imagining some phantom lack of effort and focus when every Cowboys observer saw it for themselves. Give me a break.

Let's just call him what he is, a talented athlete who didn't play to his potential. Zordon is right that Carolina has turned out more than its share of these types of guys at least since Butch Davis got there.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm not that worried about the Bruce Carter situation. I'm a fan, or at least I was, I even wrote about the potential of UNC's defense his last year there. I also thought he would shine in this defensive scheme. He is either going to get it or we will move on. Most of the fans here think Marinelli walks on water anyway so I'd love to see him get Cater to live up to his potential.

Besides, the University of Washington's Shaq Thompson will look really good on this team in 2015 anyway.

sbark

Reaction score
Seems as if the media is trying to create the newest and latest whipping boy........Carpenter, Marcellus, TO......they need a new one to harp on

kevm3

Reaction score
Bruce Carter is the new Dallas 'problem child' along with Mo Claiborne.. We've already got rid of TO for his 'locker room problems', Felix Jones for being 'fat and lazy', Martellus Bennett for 'having a bad attitude'. No matter how many of these supposed problematic guys, we have the same results year after year.