Norm on Wade's PC comments yesterday...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Wade bothered me when he said “The best team didn’t win”. It is what it is. You know, the Cowboys had no business of winning the Detroit game and wouldn’t have if Paris Lennon had just fell on a fumble instead of kicking it right to one of our players. But at the time Wade told us “A win is a win”. So don’t come out now and say the best team didn’t win. If you want to play that game, then this wasn’t really a 13-3 team because we should have lost the Detroit and Buffalo game.

Wade can say all the positive things he wants, but this team didn’t make a step it was supposed to this year. When push came to shove this year’s team did what last year’s team did …. They backed out of a playoff win and did whatever it could to find a way to lose. They weren’t playing well the last month this year, and there was a sentiment around the team that it wasn’t a big deal and they would turn it on when the playoffs came around. Teams with no history of winning in the playoffs should never suggest that they know how to turn it on when the playoffs come. That really bothered me.

Bradie James complained about the local media “We got a lot of local guys against us the last few weeks, and that hurt us.” Who was against you? I saw people analyzing games this last month, including me, saying their play concerns me. I said TO’s injury concerns me. Jerry Jones himself came on this very show on Friday and said TO’s injury was his biggest concern. That’s not being “against “ you. That’s just being analytical. To me, I thought the Cowboys were in a very difficult spot. The history of home teams in the playoffs couldn’t allow me to pick the Giants and I didn’t believe they had much gas left in the tank.. and I fully expect them to get blown out this week because they probably don’t have any bullets left in the chamber …but it was hard for me to take the Cowboys given the way they had played last month.

The main question of this offseason is why does this team slide every year in December? It happened every year under Parcells ,and it happened the first year under Phillips. We thought we had an idea what it was under Parcells, we thought Parcells just wore on them. We can’t use that excuse anymore. This team will now be measured solely in the playoffs now, regardless of what it does in the regular season. This year may have been a season of hope, but next year is going to be a season of expectation. Just like the Mavs know, there’s a difference between hope and expectation.

alancdc

Reaction score
So, based on this would it then be true that upsets never happen, and the best team always wins??? Dallas IS better than the Giants, but the Giants won this football game. Does anyone believe that the Chargers are better than the Colts? I don't, but they beat them Sunday. I'm pretty sure that NC State wasn't better that Houston in 1983, but they won the National Championship in a one and done game. This isn't the World Series or NBA Finals best of 7. What was the coach supposed to say?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually, overall, I would say the Chargers are more talented then the colts.

Boysboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1906271 said:
The main question of this offseason is why does this team slide every year in December? It happened every year under Parcells ,and it happened the first year under Phillips. We thought we had an idea what it was under Parcells, we thought Parcells just wore on them. We can’t use that excuse anymore. This team will now be measured solely in the playoffs now, regardless of what it does in the regular season. We may have had hope this year, but next year we’re going to have expectation. There’s a difference between hope and expectation.

Here's what I don't get too...

Not only is Andy Reid a VERY laid back coach too, but he goes to great lengths to treat his franchise player like his own spoiled, adopted son.

Pt being that how can teams like the EAGLES just turn it on when it counts the most, and then go deep in the playoffs, and WE CAN'T? Forget that the Igglets choke in NFC Title games at home, unlike us, they at least win in Dec AND get some playoff wins.

I still don't get it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't get why anyone would care what Norm's opinion is. Honestly, IR, I'd care to hear your opinion more than his. I typically listen to the news for facts, not opinion. That guys' just a sports fan with a bigger mouthpiece. And his opinions are just wild *** guesses.

MikMak

Reaction score
alancdc;1906280 said:
So, based on this would it then be true that upsets never happen, and the best team always wins??? Dallas IS better than the Giants, but the Giants won this football game. Does anyone believe that the Chargers are better than the Colts? I don't, but they beat them Sunday. I'm pretty sure that NC State wasn't better that Houston in 1983, but they won the National Championship in a one and done game. This isn't the World Series or NBA Finals best of 7. What was the coach supposed to say?

I don't think the Cowboys are better than the Giants. Maybe at the beginning of the year but clearly towards the end of the year the Giants were the better team.

But if what Wade said was true that the better team lost than what does that say about his coaching abilities?

FCBarca

Reaction score
My opinion is that it's pretty lame for a favored HC go into a PC and talk about how the 'best' team didn't win...How that reflects on the coach etc...Makes him look even more incompetent, IMHO...Own up, move on

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;1906288 said:
I don't get why anyone would care what Norm's opinion is. Honestly, IR, I'd care to hear your opinion more than his. I typically listen to the news for facts, not opinion. That guys' just a sports fan with a bigger mouthpiece. And his opinions are just wild *** guesses.

Maybe because in this case, IR's is pretty much what Norm's is?

Meh. I think it's clear what Wade meant. We outgained them on offense and held them to fewer yards on defense. It was the "hidden yards" on special teams that killed us, along with penalties. Of course, that's just as much a part of the game as plays from scrimmage.

But hey, Parcells did similar things. When he takes over a team, he says you are what your record says you are. When he left, he said he knew this team was better than he found it even if couldn't prove it by the record. So all coaches get protective at times.

And yesterday Wade did say that the problem was coaching anyway.

I just don't see where to go from here. I guess one could join the camp that says we suck until proven otherwise, I don't care what this team does until next January, and I'll tell everyone about it all the time. I think there are other ways to look at it, but those ways aren't popular right now.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1906330 said:
Maybe because in this case, IR's is pretty much what Norm's is?
That may be the case. It does seem like a lot of people around here take their cues from the local media.

I just don't see where to go from here. I guess one could join the camp that says we suck until proven otherwise, I don't care what this team does until next January, and I'll tell everyone about it all the time. I think there are other ways to look at it, but those ways aren't popular right now.
Just continue to load the roster with young talent in the draft and try again. The difference between being considered losers and playing in the Conference Championship is a few drops and penalties. It's not like we weren't close. You just give it another shot next year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;1906348 said:
That may be the case. It does seem like a lot of people around here take their cues from the local media.

Just continue to load the roster with young talent in the draft and try again. The difference between being considered losers and playing in the Conference Championship is a few drops and penalties. It's not like we weren't close. You just give it another shot next year.

yep I agree. Hopefully jerry wont ship of those number 1s for something he gets desperate for.

If 6 out of the 8 picks we have make the roster and 3 or 4 turn into really good players, this team is going to be really good for a long time.

I think the dilemma this team has right now as of today, is who to pay? Flozell or hamlin?

Personally I think it is time to move on to some of the younger tackles and give the money to hamlin. We cant need a safety again. That would be a really bad situation.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
06_02_11.jpg

The best team didn't win...Boo Hoo.

Whatever Wade.

Route 66

Reaction score
See, this is exactly the problem with Wade. He gets it into his players that somehow there is this invisible mantle of success over each player and he keeps shoveling this to them. He shouldnt have said that Dallas was the better team. Is he afraid of giving this team esteem issues? This issue has gone on before he got here but I don't see his mentality helping any of it.

Think about this-the team did pretty good for the first part of the season. I believe the team was rejuvenated by the easy going atmosphere that Wade and Company brought. The team enjoyed the fact that Parcell's waterboy antics and other situations were gone. But then, towards the last half of the season, there simply wasn't enough discipline.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rowdy;1906371 said:
See, this is exactly the problem with Wade. He gets it into his players that somehow there is this invisible mantle of success over each player and he keeps shoveling this to them. He shouldnt have said that Dallas was the better team. Is he afraid of giving this team esteem issues? This issue has gone on before he got here but I don't see his mentality helping any of it.

Think about this-the team did pretty good for the first part of the season. I believe the team was rejuvenated by the easy going atmosphere that Wade and Company brought. The team enjoyed the fact that Parcell's waterboy antics and other situations were gone. But then, towards the last half of the season, there simply wasn't enough discipline.
Is this true? Do you know how he talks to the players individually? Or do you just know how Wade talks to the media?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;1906348 said:
Exactly. My wording wasn't very clear (does NyQuil knock anyone else out? I'm still feeling it), but obviously I refuse to join the mob that wants everyone fired and the team blown up. We just have to keep adding enough talent and giving ourselves chances until we break through.

There's no doubt in my mind that if we'd been the wild card team, we could have beaten Tampa, and then all this "jinx" and "loser" talk wouldn't be going on. But we didn't, so it is.

The NY, Washington, Jets, Green Bay games were all in the second half of the season.

And how do we know there wasn't enough discipline?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Rowdy;1906371 said:

Uhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm............since WHEN did this team have discipline??

So first, it's Parcells' fault we didn't have it b/c he was a control freak, then it was b/c of Wade's "laid back" atmosphere that lead to the lack of discipline.

You DO know that Wade is working with BILL'S roster, right?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think when you look at the overall talent of both teams Dallas has the better overall talent. However you make mistakes as Dallas did the Giants are good enough to take advantage of those mistakes. I think there are many times in post season where the better team did not win but in the NFL you only have to be better that day and sunday the Giants team did not have many penalties and did not turn the ball over they did what they needed to do to win that game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1906386 said:
I think when you look at the overall talent of both teams Dallas has the better overall talent. However you make mistakes as Dallas did the Giants are good enough to take advantage of those mistakes. I think there are many times in post season where the better team did not win but in the NFL you only have to be better that day and sunday the Giants team did not have many penalties and did not turn the ball over they did what they needed to do to win that game.
See, the Colts. A couple dropped passes, etc., and the better team loses.

Route 66

Reaction score
theogt;1906376 said:
Is this true? Do you know how he talks to the players individually? Or do you just know how Wade talks to the media?

Yes actually I do know how he talks to the players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;1906388 said:
See, the Colts. A couple dropped passes, etc., and the better team loses.

True. I think both NY and SD are good talented teams I don't think they are overall better teams but both were good enough to take advantage of mistakes that both Dallas and the Colts made. They also avoided the mistakes that have hurt them during the season. Giants on the season were turning the ball over more than getting turnovers and thus far the Giants have avoided making those mistakes. I take nothing away from the Giants but I do think the overall talent of the Cowboys is greater which is why this loss hurts.

Route 66

Reaction score
Boysboy;1906383 said:
Uhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm............since WHEN did this team have discipline??

So first, it's Parcells' fault we didn't have it b/c he was a control freak, then it was b/c of Wade's "laid back" atmosphere that lead to the lack of discipline.

You DO know that Wade is working with BILL'S roster, right?

:rolleyes: This team enjoyed the freedom that entailed with Parcell's departure. This carried over into their practices and games. They felt energized and happy. It showed in their game. However towards mid to late season, it wasn't enough because all that wore off. Then the team went to the other way extreme-wise.