Captain Comeback
Reaction score
charlie-brown-thanksgiving.gif
This cartoon says it all.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The eyeball test shows to me that this team still doesn't have the greatness needed to go on a January run. Mental errors, penalties, not playing smart (bad interceptions). It takes talent and luck to win in the playoffs. You have to play mistake-free football to get that luck and those breaks to go your way
Well, seeing as there's no undefeated team in the league, everyone makes mistakes, so I guess the SB is cancelled this season.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The rampant "Woe is me" attitude this fanbase exhibits is really pathetic.

Just like you said, 31 teams do not with a Superbowl each year and to whine about every season you don't win a title being "fools gold" is a very dumb outlook. Sometimes you just flat out lose even if you have a great team. It is professional football and the other 31 franchises have world class players too. All you can do is put yourself in position to make the playoffs year over year and then cross your fingers. Luck is an extremely underrated part of any championship run, especially in a league like the NFL where parity is the highest of any pro sport.

Nope-incorrect. If that were true you would see a more diverse group of teams in championship games since 1996.

San Francisco has made 6 NFCCG in that time period. The Rams 4. Vikings 4. Packers 8. Eagles 6. Giants 3. Bears 2. Bucs 3. Panthers 4. Falcons 4. Seahawks 3. Saints 3. Cardinals 2. Cowboys, Lions, and Washington zip.

Pittsburgh made 7 AFCCG appearances in that time span. New England 14. Raiders 2. Broncos 5. Colts 4. Bills 1. Titans 3. Chiefs 4. Ravens 4. Chargers 1. Jets 3. Bengals 1. Jaguars 3. Browns and Dolphins zip.

Definitely poor company to be in and some are the most dysfunctional teams in all of professional sports. It is not like Tom Brady and Belichick drank from the magical crotch of Lady Luck. Some teams invest like they are purchasing a lotto ticket (the typical losers) while others diligently invest in winning formulas and stick to the game plan and make catastrophic moves when necessary to change the playing field. Luck has little to do with it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
How many times have Cowboys fans buy into the hype, only to end the season with a disappointing conclusion.

Being a Dallas fan since 1977, seeing the Cowboys, in the playoffs, were a year thing. Winning playoff games and even getting to Superbowls once and a while.

Like seasons past, it has be enjoyable, seeing the Cowboys winning more games than losing. But I am not going to buy into the FOOLS GOLD Jerry sells fans since 1995.
Jerry wins every season b/c Dallas is the richest franchise in all of sports. At very least, Top 5. On the field, can't even get to a NFC Conference game. Until this team can get to one conference finals, not falling for it.
Dak has a losing playoff record, as did Romo did. A fan of both, but neither could produce in the playoffs.
So hopefully, this is that season to get to a NFC Conference. Don't have to win the darn game, just get there. Until then...fools gold

I'm not either that's why I'm always so critical of them homers think the cowboys win big every season, when really it's been almost 30 years

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
How many times have Cowboys fans buy into the hype, only to end the season with a disappointing conclusion.

Being a Dallas fan since 1977, seeing the Cowboys, in the playoffs, were a year thing. Winning playoff games and even getting to Superbowls once and a while.

Like seasons past, it has be enjoyable, seeing the Cowboys winning more games than losing. But I am not going to buy into the FOOLS GOLD Jerry sells fans since 1995.
Jerry wins every season b/c Dallas is the richest franchise in all of sports. At very least, Top 5. On the field, can't even get to a NFC Conference game. Until this team can get to one conference finals, not falling for it.
Dak has a losing playoff record, as did Romo did. A fan of both, but neither could produce in the playoffs.
So hopefully, this is that season to get to a NFC Conference. Don't have to win the darn game, just get there. Until then...fools gold

There is no hype with the Cowboys. They are one of the top 3 teams in the NFC and possibly can beat any team on any given day. Our offense is averaging over 30 points per. game and we are the number 1 defense in the NFL. Teams like the Niners and the Eagles are the teams to beat. But they certainly have to fear the Cowboys as well.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don’t think we ever thought those defenses were good. We just hoped they were good enough to support a better offense. That’s not the case this year, the defense can carry the offense.

When you say this defense is good you mean we're good on 3rd down and mid/long, the run defense is still a concern, especially vrs a good running team (like the 49ers). I'm not being a debbie downer on this as most of my posts on here have agreed that this season's been a really pleasant surprise especially as it's exceeded all expectation......but it's the runaway comments about how good we are and how far we'll go is usually the prelude to failure.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nope-incorrect. If that were true you would see a more diverse group of teams in championship games since 1996.

San Francisco has made 6 NFCCG in that time period. The Rams 4. Vikings 4. Packers 8. Eagles 6. Giants 3. Bears 2. Bucs 3. Panthers 4. Falcons 4. Seahawks 3. Saints 3. Cardinals 2. Cowboys, Lions, and Washington zip.

Pittsburgh made 7 AFCCG appearances in that time span. New England 14. Raiders 2. Broncos 5. Colts 4. Bills 1. Titans 3. Chiefs 4. Ravens 4. Chargers 1. Jets 3. Bengals 1. Jaguars 3. Browns and Dolphins zip.

Definitely poor company to be in and some are the most dysfunctional teams in all of professional sports. It is not like Tom Brady and Belichick drank from the magical crotch of Lady Luck. Some teams invest like they are purchasing a lotto ticket (the typical losers) while others diligently invest in winning formulas and stick to the game plan and make catastrophic moves when necessary to change the playing field. Luck has little to do with it.

I'm pretty sure you just proved my point. There is a huge diversity of teams that have made the NFC Championship since 1996. In fact, every team has made multiple aside from Dallas, Detroit, and Washington. This would indicate that just making the playoffs is important. The same is true of the AFC, with a little less diversity since NE and PIT truly dominated the 2000s and 2010s.

For most teams without a generational QB (GB, NE, Pit) or complete and utter front office dysfunction (DET, WASH, CLE), the fact that nearly every team has made at least 1 appearance (most more) would indicate that luck is a huge part of the equation.

Just like I said, these numbers would also support the claim that investing in winning team building formulas eventually pays off over time. You will lose most of the time, but staying in the playoffs most seasons gives you more opportunities for a break through. Of course, there are exceptions when you have a generational QB or a horrid front office, but for the majority of teams you just have to keep putting yourself in position and good things will happen given enough time.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You just have to believe that if this team keeps making the playoffs than at some point everything has to break right for them.

The problem is this is a different era than when the Cowboys last won it all. Parity is a very real thing and the talent level of every team is as close as it's ever been (the NFC South notwithstanding, but you get my point).

I too have been here for all 26 years of failure, but I tend to break them down into different coaches. If you throw out the 2020 pandemic/no Dak/no defense year than this is really Mike McCarthy's second real try to get it right. From a pure won-loss record the Cowboys are a game ahead of where they were after 11 games last season so.....let's just see where this goes.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you just proved my point. There is a huge diversity of teams that have made the NFC Championship since 1996. In fact, every team has made multiple aside from Dallas, Detroit, and Washington. This would indicate that just making the playoffs is important. The same is true of the AFC, with a little less diversity since NE and PIT truly dominated the 2000s and 2010s.

For most teams without a generational QB (GB, NE, Pit) or complete and utter front office dysfunction (DET, WASH, CLE), the fact that nearly every team has made at least 1 appearance (most more) would indicate that luck is a huge part of the equation.

Just like I said, these numbers would indicate that investing in winning team building formulas eventually pays off over time. Of course, there are exceptions when you have a generational QB or a horrid front office, but for the majority of teams you just have to keep putting yourself in position and good things will happen given enough time.

No, you just want it that way. Perhaps I should have said the spread or dispersion of appearances would be more balanced. It’s heavily weighted in a few teams’ favor. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Denver (6 out of 32 teams) account for basically one half of the possible participants during the time frame. Statistically this just means these few teams were far better than others over the same time period in getting to the championship game. It just proves that luck is for the losers hoping to hit the lotto.

offlimits

Reaction score

JMO but if Big Mike cannot get this team to a SB this season... I think he's sacked. Two inferior teams both made it to the SB last season. No excuses.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, you just want it that way. Perhaps I should have said the spread or dispersion of appearances would be more balanced. It’s heavily weighted in a few teams’ favor. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Denver (6 out of 32 teams) account for basically one half of the possible participants during the time frame. Statistically this just means these few teams were far better than others over the same time period in getting to the championship game. It just proves that luck is for the losers hoping to hit the lotto.

Well yeah, just like I said, four of those teams had a transcendent QB at the time like I said (NE, PIT, GB, DEN), and SF/PHI have very good front office management. I would actually say the dispersion of appearances is very even all things considered.

I'm not saying luck is everything, and Dallas surely has had a very dysfunctional front office over the time period being discussed, but just putting yourself in the playoffs automatically increases your chances of making a championship game. From there, the better teams usually rise to the top, but you have got to give yourself a chance.

I'm not trying to push an agenda here so I don't get what you mean when you say "No, you just want it that way". The fact of the matter is that nearly every team has made it in recent history aside from a few and that would indicate that most teams, even those with below average management, stumble into the championship occasionally.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Well yeah, just like I said, four of those teams had a transcendent QB at the time like I said (NE, PIT, GB, DEN), and SF/PHI have very good front office management. I would actually say the dispersion of appearances is very even all things considered.

I'm not saying luck is everything, and Dallas surely has had a very dysfunctional front office over the time period being discussed, but just putting yourself in the playoffs automatically increases your chances of making a championship game. From there, the better teams usually rise to the top, but you have got to give yourself a chance.

I'm not trying to push an agenda here so I don't get what you mean when you say "No, you just want it that way". The fact of the matter is that nearly every team has made it in recent history aside from a few and that would indicate that most teams, even those with below average management, stumble into the championship occasionally.

I don’t believe that many of those other squads were profiteers of much fortune. Winning squads make their own luck. Luck was not why the Giants found a way to the conference championship game in the later 2000’s. Those were just products of building a ferocious pass rush and running game, with the occasional good play from Eli. The Bengals are suddenly a contender mainly because they look like they have gotten a transcendent QB.

I’m not saying fortune does not sometimes happen in these matchups. It just means that luck has very little to do with getting to these big games. Some teams are much better at pushing the odds into their favor. Whether by a great QB, defense plus running game all of which come from good front offices the odds get tilted. This thought that anything can happen once you are in is like saying-I have a chance to win the lotto.