Not feeling the new Romo.

dboyz

Reaction score
I disagree. I think Romo is playing pretty well outside of a few poor throws likely due to his ribs. If Dez catches that pass and the refs don't cheat him out of another one, Romo ends with 350 yards and a win and things look a little better. Romo just needs to do his part, not take over every game.

I will put on him the 3rd and goal play he should have gone to Dez and fumble by him. If the offensive line continues to improve I think Romo is in for a big year.

khiladi

Reaction score
Good read on the topic.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...et-the-dallas-cowboys-back-on-track-in-week-3

How Tony Romo Can Get the Dallas Cowboys Back on Track in Week 3

Tony Romo is one of the most misunderstood quarterbacks of all time—someone who has played well enough to lead the Dallas Cowboys to a championship—but he’s not playing great football to start the 2013 season.

Specifically, Romo is prioritizing risk minimization over the offense, doing everything in his power to not throw interceptions.

The Cowboys have one of the game’s elite players in wide receiver Dez Bryant, and their focus should really be getting him the ball as much as possible. It’s the quality of the looks that matters most, though, and right now, Romo isn’t getting the ball to Bryant where he’s best—down the field.

Last year, the Cowboys made a very obvious effort to change the nature of their offense in the middle of the season, using Bryant downfield more and giving him opportunities to outmuscle defenders for the football.

Strange thing is, the second half plays that are shown, Dez is lined up on Romo's right and Romo throws left... He was supposedy having issues throwing left.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
hang in there.

This feels a lot like 09 when things were out of whack early and then slowly got better.

That was 4 years ago this looks like the same team we've been seeing since 2010. The 09 team got kick started that season by winning a very tight game in KC while this team just failed in a similar situation. The 09 team was only 2 years removed from a 13-3 season in which they won the NFC East and were the #1 seed. The Cowboys were coming off back to back winning seasons entering the 09 season. The 09 team was the last playoff team the Cowboys had and it was their last winning season. What got the 09 season off to a rocky start was not having a WR threat. The Cowboys had just released TO after the 08 season and started the 09 season with Roy Williams who had been a huge disappointment and Patrick Crayton who was the teams 3rd receiver the year before. Romo's numbers weren't looking very good after the first 4 games he had 4 TD's, 4 ints and only one passer rating game of over 100.0. Austin's breakout game vs KC turned that season around. Heading into the KC game the Cowboys were a shaky 2-2 and Austin's performance propelled the team to 4 straight wins.

Romo's numbers took off his TD to turnover ratio was 9-1 during the teams 4 game winning streak and he had 3 straight games with a passer rating of over 100.0. That was the last good football team the Cowboys had they've been in a funk ever since the beat down they took in Minnesota during the 09 playoffs. In the past 2 seasons no team has been involved in more close games than the Cowboys. In their last 4 wins they've won by a total of only 9 points. Every week is a seesaw battle they can't take control of games or beat anyone convincingly. So far this season they're having issues offensively and defensively. It's still early but so far this looks like the same disappointing team we've been seeing. Hard not to be discouraged by what we've seen so far.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
He has got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. That has always been his problem.

I agree here. There are times in the game when he just needs to say "you know what, i'm gonna give the best player on the field a chance to make a play." There are times when he just needs to throw it up to Dez. With that said, he really needs to stop checking out of run plays and let the running game take a toll on the defense.

gdogg24

Reaction score
I want him to go to his good ol' slingin' self. Idc if you give a pick or two, it comes with that style of play. This new conservative " I want to protect the ball" stuff ain't cutting it for me. Open up the playbook and make it rain.

I agree, can't turn a gunslinger into a bus driver it makes him ordinary and takes away the big plays not worth it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree, can't turn a gunslinger into a bus driver it makes him ordinary and takes away the big plays not worth it.

The Cowboys might not win 8 games if they try and turn Romo into a bus driver. They don't have a good enough defense to win with a bus driver besides if you could win with a bus driver Alex Smith would still be in SF. Even Smith was able to make plays against the Cowboys defense. He hurt the Cowboys with his arm and legs on Sunday. If you don't have a playmaker at the QB position you're not going far in todays game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love it. If not for the fumbles, I think you can win games against good teams with games like we had on Sunday. Once you turn it over twice and don't take it away, those chances diminish greatly. But the emphasis on turnovers and takeaways is the way to go.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree here. There are times in the game when he just needs to say "you know what, i'm gonna give the best player on the field a chance to make a play." There are times when he just needs to throw it up to Dez. With that said, he really needs to stop checking out of run plays and let the running game take a toll on the defense.

You're not going to take any toll on a defense rushing for less than 4 yards a carry. Murray only averaged 2.1 a carry vs the Chiefs but some here said we should have stuck with the run. o_O If you're not running "effectively" you have to put the ball up to score. The Cowboys are going to need some TD's in the coming weeks with the pass happy QB's they'll be facing so they're going to have to open up their offense and take some chances.

gdogg24

Reaction score
The Cowboys might not win 8 games if they try and turn Romo into a bus driver. They don't have a good enough defense to win with a bus driver besides if you could win with a bus driver Alex Smith would still be in SF. Even Smith was able to make plays against the Cowboys defense. He hurt the Cowboys with his arm and legs on Sunday. If you don't have a playmaker at the QB position you're not going far in todays game.

I don't think they'll get to 8 games if they have Romo playing handcuffed either, he needs to get vertical, attack the double coverage with Dez, drinking and dunking highlights his weaknesses essentially this scheme is gonna turn him into David Carr.

coult44

Reaction score
I want him to go to his good ol' slingin' self. Idc if you give a pick or two, it comes with that style of play. This new conservative " I want to protect the ball" stuff ain't cutting it for me. Open up the playbook and make it rain.

That's all on JJ, RED, and Bill. No way this is what Tony wants...

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
I am fine with this "new" Romo. I prefer him being careful than reckless. You can tell he is being very cautious with the ball. Do not make THE mistake.

NJ22

Reaction score

Amen!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't think they'll get to 8 games if they have Romo playing handcuffed either, he needs to get vertical, attack the double coverage with Dez, drinking and dunking highlights his weaknesses essentially this scheme is gonna turn him into David Carr.

We're going to have to attack down the field and if we're going to dink and dunk as in using the short pass like a run we need to get Dunbar out in space where he can use his speed and agility to make some plays. A short dink out to Dunbar during the preseason resulted in a 45 yard play. He had the longest run from scrimmage last week the Cowboys need to start getting him involved. They need players on the field who can make some big plays.

NJ22

Reaction score
If this is the offense we will be running, might as well trade Romo and save 100 mil. Let the kid from the practice squad throw 2 yard passes for 400k.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is the offense we will be running, might as well trade Romo and save 100 mil. Let the kid from the practice squad throw 2 yard passes for 400k.

As long as he can complete 150 of them per game, and score two TDs for every pick, I'm all for this. Get 'r done, Jerry.

popp1234

Reaction score
Funny, in all honesty, I wasn't really "feeling" the old Romo either. I do, however, prefer the old Romo over the new Romo.

Last edited: