Not going to defend the FO anymore

RamziD

Reaction score
I know everybody is tired of hearing this and the thread will probably be merged anyway, but here it goes.

I’ve, for the most part, defended the FO strategy of not being too aggressive on top level free agents. I didn’t like that we were missing out on those guys, but saw incremental improvement and hoped their strategy would eventually pay off and be a sustainable way to keep the team SB competitive.

Helman’s latest tweet said we would continue this strategy now for the 6th year in a row. Where has this gotten us? Nowhere. We lucked into Prescott. If we had it our way, we would be stuck with Paxton Lynch as our QB. Maybe we overestimate how shrewd we are in the draft. Other teams use all available resources to make big turnarounds in much shorter time.

The FO strategy is only going to keep us perpetually stagnant. ET probably would’ve been a Cowboy for 4/$52M and would be a multiplier for our defense. Yet the FO quibbles over $2M/year while having no problem giving money to an unretiring Jason Witten, Jamize Olawale, and picking up $6.25M on Hurns who just suffered a horrific leg injury. This makes zero sense. The FO continues to show their incompetence and can’t be defended anymore.

Reaction score
Yeah, so pathetic

I’m very disappointed

Fof some reason I thought we were all in for this upcoming season, looks like the FO could care less about a SB

Qbert

Reaction score
The ineptitude of the Skins and Giants are gonna allow Dallas to finish second in the division but it’s clear, to me anyway, that Philly is in the drivers seat for the division

silvernblu

Reaction score
ET was a good no signing... you’ll see

I disagree.

This signing was more than one player. He would have been the glue that accelerates the whole secondary unit.

He's the Darren Woodson or Ed Reed that is a rare find. And our gaping hole ever since Woodson retired.

As such, you can't look at this as an assessment of a single player.

zack

Reaction score
What is it that you want Dallas to do and who do you want to sign? I think if you outlined the strength and weakness of this team and had some suggestions from that point, it would be better than saying you aren't happy with the front office. They've drafted well, guys that are playing well, need to be paid. I have no problem with it. Yes, it would have been nice to have Earl Thomas, but he would replace Woods and not Heath. Woods hasn't played all that bad. Heath is a whipping boy, but has made some plays over the years. What position did you want to upgrade in FA?

RamziD

Reaction score
What is it that you want Dallas to do and who do you want to sign? I think if you outlined the strength and weakness of this team and had some suggestions from that point, it would be better than saying you aren't happy with the front office. They've drafted well, guys that are playing well, need to be paid. I have no problem with it. Yes, it would have been nice to have Earl Thomas, but he would replace Woods and not Heath. Woods hasn't played all that bad. Heath is a whipping boy, but has made some plays over the years. What position did you want to upgrade in FA?

Sign ET, start there. Don’t claim it’s too expensive and then waste money on Witten, Olawale, and Hurns. Cap room could be very easily created. ET is a multiplier, I said it right there in my first post.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We haven't been to a champ game in 25 years. In that time only us Cleveland and Detroit are in that boat. Let that sink in. What we are doing ISN'T working....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
FrEe AgEnCy JuSt StArTeD!

cEjyKaz.gif

ksadler1

Reaction score
Does our "inactiveness" in FA really surprise anyone on this board? Come-on guys. This is the status quo of our FO for the past how many years? They preach about building through the draft and letting the other teams overpay for the FA's before jumping in. Jerry will now have a presser saying how he knows we're building our team the right way and we like our guys. And some here will eat his garbage. Meanwhile, we'll be googling the names of the players we do sign because we'll have no idea who they area. Stay strong guys. I feel another SB coming in the next 23 years...

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry has been busy watching AAF games. Didn’t you see all the gear he’s been wearin in his interviews? He’s going to outsmart the rest of the league and sign those guys.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone still believes the Cowboys are going to change direction and spend money to sign free agents or even keep their own players. The fact that Lawrence has not been signed to a long term deal by now should tell us everything we want to know. If they don't sign him to a long term deal by July 15, then he is gone next year. My gut tells me Dallas is already factoring that into their plans. Then, why would they pay Hurns, who was not making an impact on the offense before he was hurt, $6.5 million and then let Beasley, who does make an impact, go for a little over $7 million?

The Witten signing is probably more sentimental than anything else. Who really believes Witten will make a major contribution in 2019? Dallas is wishful thinking. Will Witt even make the team or will he retire again?

If you are trying to figure out the Cowboys you are wasting your time.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The FO strategy is only going to keep us perpetually stagnant. ET probably would’ve been a Cowboy for 4/$52M and would be a multiplier for our defense. Yet the FO quibbles over $2M/year while having no problem giving money to an unretiring Jason Witten, Jamize Olawale, and picking up $6.25M on Hurns who just suffered a horrific leg injury. This makes zero sense. The FO continues to show their incompetence and can’t be defended anymore.

The Olawale contract isn't much over the veteran minimums for a guy with his time in the league. The option on Hurns just preserves the compensation pick we get back for him, he will still be cut. Witten is a Hall of Famer at a position that was a black hole for 3/4ths of the season last year.

I really, really wanted Earl Thomas but its pretty much crazy to guarantee that much money to a guy that is about to turn 30 who hasn't had a healthy season in four years.

zack

Reaction score
Sign ET, start there. Don’t claim it’s too expensive and then waste money on Witten, Olawale, and Hurns. Cap room could be very easily created. ET is a multiplier, I said it right there in my first post.

Anyone else? I agree I would have signed him too, but not for the same contract the Ravens gave.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know everybody is tired of hearing this and the thread will probably be merged anyway, but here it goes.

I’ve, for the most part, defended the FO strategy of not being too aggressive on top level free agents. I didn’t like that we were missing out on those guys, but saw incremental improvement and hoped their strategy would eventually pay off and be a sustainable way to keep the team SB competitive.

Helman’s latest tweet said we would continue this strategy now for the 6th year in a row. Where has this gotten us? Nowhere. We lucked into Prescott. If we had it our way, we would be stuck with Paxton Lynch as our QB. Maybe we overestimate how shrewd we are in the draft. Other teams use all available resources to make big turnarounds in much shorter time.

You guys have to get in your head that we really don't have any cap room. I know that it looks like a lot, but after the resign Dak and someone else, that money is gone. Witten is a great signing at 3 million. Oluwale, they didn't even use him, but maybe someone like Moore with half a brain will. Hurns is actually a good slot receiver. But I probably would have dumped him for 6 million and signed the Tampa receiver.

RamziD

Reaction score
The Olawale contract isn't much over the veteran minimums for a guy with his time in the league. The option on Hurns just preserves the compensation pick we get back for him, he will still be cut. Witten is a Hall of Famer at a position that was a black hole for 3/4ths of the season last year.

I really, really wanted Earl Thomas but its pretty much crazy to guarantee that much money to a guy that is about to turn 30 who hasn't had a healthy season in four years.

I don’t think it’s crazy. Good safeties can play into their mid 30s at a high level, that has been shown on the field. ET has no ligament injuries. Broken legs are freak accidents and he came back from his first one to play at an All Pro level before the opposite leg got broken.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

I blame it on the fans. You guys put too much pressure on the FO to perform. You guys basically had the whole offseason laid out before the FO knew what they wanted to do and process things.

Now if you guys just shut your mouths next offseason I guarantee we will have an offseason just like the browns just did.