Not going to defend the FO anymore

starfan1

Reaction score
I disagree.

This signing was more than one player. He would have been the glue that accelerates the whole secondary unit.

He's the Darren Woodson or Ed Reed that is a rare find. And our gaping hole ever since Woodson retired.

As such, you can't look at this as an assessment of a single player.

Thanks Earl
sorry man i just don't buy all the doom and gloom. He will be in the training room next year guarantee it and for 14 mil a year screw ET we don't need him. Now I agree we need an upgrade on Heath but not at 14 mil a year

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know everybody is tired of hearing this and the thread will probably be merged anyway, but here it goes.

I’ve, for the most part, defended the FO strategy of not being too aggressive on top level free agents. I didn’t like that we were missing out on those guys, but saw incremental improvement and hoped their strategy would eventually pay off and be a sustainable way to keep the team SB competitive.

Helman’s latest tweet said we would continue this strategy now for the 6th year in a row. Where has this gotten us? Nowhere. We lucked into Prescott. If we had it our way, we would be stuck with Paxton Lynch as our QB. Maybe we overestimate how shrewd we are in the draft. Other teams use all available resources to make big turnarounds in much shorter time.

The FO strategy is only going to keep us perpetually stagnant. ET probably would’ve been a Cowboy for 4/$52M and would be a multiplier for our defense. Yet the FO quibbles over $2M/year while having no problem giving money to an unretiring Jason Witten, Jamize Olawale, and picking up $6.25M on Hurns who just suffered a horrific leg injury. This makes zero sense. The FO continues to show their incompetence and can’t be defended anymore.

DampDecisiveEwe-size_restricted.gif

silvernblu

Reaction score
Does our "inactiveness" in FA really surprise anyone on this board? Come-on guys. This is the status quo of our FO for the past how many years? They preach about building through the draft and letting the other teams overpay for the FA's before jumping in. Jerry will now have a presser saying how he knows we're building our team the right way and we like our guys. And some here will eat his garbage. Meanwhile, we'll be googling the names of the players we do sign because we'll have no idea who they area. Stay strong guys. I feel another SB coming in the next 23 years...

We need more basketball and baseball players. Because one team did that once (Antonio Gates).

Drew Henson was also better than Tom Brady doncha know?

Carson

Reaction score
It really is hard to defend them. With that being said, it’s still early to panic.

But my finger is on the button

RamziD

Reaction score
Anyone else? I agree I would have signed him too, but not for the same contract the Ravens gave.

Honestly, ET, a mid-level DT, and a swing tackle probably would have been enough. Why wouldn’t you have given him that contract? I’ve outlined why I think he deserves it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking we don’t have the cap room. We do.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s crazy. Good safeties can play into their mid 30s at a high level, that has been shown on the field. ET has no ligament injuries. Broken legs are freak accidents and he came back from his first one to play at an All Pro level before the opposite leg got broken.

Could be, he could easily get hurt or drop off in performance. And finding out one way or another probably prevents you from resigning someone like Byron Jones down the line with the money you spent finding out.

silvernblu

Reaction score
You guys have to get in your head that we really don't have any cap room. I know that it looks like a lot, but after the resign Dak and someone else, that money is gone. Witten is a great signing at 3 million. Oluwale, they didn't even use him, but maybe someone like Moore with half a brain will. Hurns is actually a good slot receiver. But I probably would have dumped him for 6 million and signed the Tampa receiver.

We got more cap room than most of the teams that are outbidding us.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Honestly, ET, a mid-level DT, and a swing tackle probably would have been enough. Why wouldn’t you have given him that contract? I’ve outlined why I think he deserves it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking we don’t have the cap room. We do.

What if the same money ET got brings you Tre Boston, Golden Tate, a DT, a RB and a swing tackle?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We got more cap room than most of the teams that are outbidding us.

We don't. After the franchise tag on Lawrence we have like 25 million. Once they up Dak, that's all gone.

Then we still have Cooper, Zeke, Jones next year. Then we have Jaylon Smith. We will be hard pressed just to have enough money for all those guys.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jerry has been busy watching AAF games. Didn’t you see all the gear he’s been wearin in his interviews? He’s going to outsmart the rest of the league and sign those guys.
30% are former Will McClay specials already.

But he's killing it.

zack

Reaction score

I know that Dallas has the CAP money. I think that you could question an annual salary of $13.5 annually over 4 years. But, it isn't our money and they could have signed him.

RamziD

Reaction score
What if the same money ET got brings you Tre Boston, Golden Tate, a DT, a RB and a swing tackle?

But we’re not going to get Boston or Tate. I wouldn’t mind it, but we’ve shown zero interest.

kento40

Reaction score
Lol, didn't Jerry just speak on how time is running out and he cares about a super bowl and nothing else? Lol, sure looks like it Jerry, sure looks like it. Nothing will change until seats stop getting filled and since Cowboys games are now more corporate than fan based, coming up short, as seems to be the mantra of this team, will continue to be status quo.

cowboyec

Reaction score
The ineptitude of the Skins and Giants are gonna allow Dallas to finish second in the division but it’s clear, to me anyway, that Philly is in the drivers seat for the division
bull.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
The ineptitude of the Skins and Giants are gonna allow Dallas to finish second in the division but it’s clear, to me anyway, that Philly is in the drivers seat for the division

I don't know about that. We will be likely be worse on defense. We lost or slot receiver, so goodbye to the ability to move the ball on 3rd and long. Big question mark at OC, same old fake coach. We were fighting for the cellar until the halfway point of last season, and we are looking at going into the season with less than what we had then.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Haha, do you really think they would do that many FA acquisitions ? C'mon it's the Cowboys - We like our guys !

Tre Boston - Meh, Golden Tate - What's the Point. A DT - Yes please. The rest - I'm too pissy right now to care.