Not going to defend the FO anymore

wecasa

Reaction score
What we are seeing is the teams with a ton of cap space and qb's on their rookie deals spending money. The Jets and Browns have been pretty active spending and improving.

I get that Dallas is using the draft to fill the roster and have done a tremendous job doing so. I think it would be nice to see or hear someone say something about this process they are following so we have an idea what to expect year in and year out. The checkers game with the franchise tag and dlaw is kind of stupid. Either pay the guy or trade him. Whats the hang up? They signed Olawale. Neat. What did he do last season? gain 13 yards? Was he a special teams monster? Wittens back. Is that the feel good put butts in the seats move of the off season?

Whats being done about the D Line? Irving, gone. Gregory, gone. Dlaw, tagged.
Whats being done about RB2? Darius Jackson the answer? Rod smith isn't.
How about O Line? Getting Frederick back will be nice. LG was a ? all season. Smiths heath is ALWAYS a ? anymore.
Maybe look at a safety or 2? only 4 on the active roster and 1 on IR that's a project. (NO MORE PROJECTS)

The eye test is confusing this time of year. Especially when the boat is anchored in the Bahamas and no meaningful word on football operations aside from bye Cole. thanks for your service and bundle up, it's cold in Buffalo.

Number1

Reaction score
I know everybody is tired of hearing this and the thread will probably be merged anyway, but here it goes.

I’ve, for the most part, defended the FO strategy of not being too aggressive on top level free agents. I didn’t like that we were missing out on those guys, but saw incremental improvement and hoped their strategy would eventually pay off and be a sustainable way to keep the team SB competitive.

Helman’s latest tweet said we would continue this strategy now for the 6th year in a row. Where has this gotten us? Nowhere. We lucked into Prescott. If we had it our way, we would be stuck with Paxton Lynch as our QB. Maybe we overestimate how shrewd we are in the draft. Other teams use all available resources to make big turnarounds in much shorter time.

The FO strategy is only going to keep us perpetually stagnant. ET probably would’ve been a Cowboy for 4/$52M and would be a multiplier for our defense. Yet the FO quibbles over $2M/year while having no problem giving money to an unretiring Jason Witten, Jamize Olawale, and picking up $6.25M on Hurns who just suffered a horrific leg injury. This makes zero sense. The FO continues to show their incompetence and can’t be defended anymore.

the FO is pretty bad IMO

but ET?
no thanks, there's a 90% chance any 30yo FA is a bad idea .... yeah I know, ET is special (to you)

you make it sound like Hurns signed this week - that was done a year ago, injured 2 months ago
did I mention when last seen ET was carted out of Cowboy Stadium with a not so "horrific" leg injury

as for Witten - he's the only reliable red zone target on the team

do you really see a long term deal with ET better than a short term deal with JW? really?

if it's the cap that concerns you ... do you resign Jones? or sign ET?

RamziD

Reaction score
the FO is pretty bad IMO

but ET?
no thanks, there's a 90% chance any 30yo FA is a bad idea .... yeah I know, ET is special (to you)

you make it sound like Hurns signed this week - that was done a year ago, injured 2 months ago
did I mention when last seen ET was carted out of Cowboy Stadium with a not so "horrific" leg injury

as for Witten - he's the only reliable red zone target on the team

do you really see a long term deal with ET better than a short term deal with JW? really?

if it's the cap that concerns you ... do you resign Jones? or sign ET?

1. I’m not the only one who wanted us to sign ET

2. They could cut Hurns and save money. They also didn’t have to sign Witten or Olawale who likely aren’t going to be worth what we have them.

3. I’d go for it all this year and ET would definitely help us there. I’d draft a CB in the 3rd for insurance if we can’t hold onto Jones. Also, a lot can happen year to year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
But we’re not going to get Boston or Tate. I wouldn’t mind it, but we’ve shown zero interest.

When is the last time Dallas telegraphed interest in a FA? The last big name FA they went after was Brandon Carr and everyone saw that coming, but all the second tier guys they have signed since then weren't names that showed up in the press ahead of time. When they signed guys like Hurns and Fleming the fans heard about it the day it happened.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with cap space.
We have a salary structure. Every team does. When you go crazy and pay a guy more than you should, especially a lot more, it destroys team morale, your structure. Suddenly guys all think they deserve as much or more than outsiders since they’ve actually bled for you.

In FA guy’s get overpaid early every year, and how often does it result in winning? Very seldom.

Dallas will find a safety and DL help and another WR in FA and the draft.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The cowboys have been drafting well and are being smarter with contracts than they have in the past.

They have one of the youngest if not the youngest teams in the NFL, and they have made a playoff run.

Young team ( that won a playoff game ) + more offseason, training camps, and time spent together equals a better team.

Paying young players and incentivizing them is a better move than bringing in high priced free agents and letting your talent go.

Unless there is a player that will gaurentee you a super bowl, don't bring in someone high priced. This team is not one player away that gaurentees a super bowl.

Therefore continue the formula that gave you a very young team making playoff wins and hope for the best.

tm1119

Reaction score
You guys have to get in your head that we really don't have any cap room. I know that it looks like a lot, but after the resign Dak and someone else, that money is gone. Witten is a great signing at 3 million. Oluwale, they didn't even use him, but maybe someone like Moore with half a brain will. Hurns is actually a good slot receiver. But I probably would have dumped him for 6 million and signed the Tampa receiver.

Can you back that claim up with #’s?

Carson

Reaction score
The point of Tate is we don't have a slot WR and Tate is the best one on the market by a good margin.

It seems if he wasn’t a Cowboy last season, we just aren’t interested

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
The ineptitude of the Skins and Giants are gonna allow Dallas to finish second in the division but it’s clear, to me anyway, that Philly is in the drivers seat for the division

Unless Wentz gets hurt again, they already won the East!

Kaiser

Reaction score
It seems if he wasn’t a Cowboy last season, we just aren’t interested

I'm not locked in on Tre Boston, I've seen other people talking about Adrian Phillips and there are others. But last year I think they wanted to see what they had in Xavier Woods, who has certainly proven to be worth more than his draft slot. There isn't another ET out there, but at the prices ET and Collins got I would much rather spend the dollars at other positions and go with "good enough" guys at Safety.

kevm3

Reaction score
This team is trash. Stephen utterly dampens any joy with his penny pinching. He will sign some awful player and hype him up as an upgrade. If not for will mcclay, we would be the browns or lions

Carson

Reaction score
I'm not locked in on Tre Boston, I've seen other people talking about Adrian Phillips and there are others. But last year I think they wanted to see what they had in Xavier Woods, who has certainly proven to be worth more than his draft slot. There isn't another ET out there, but at the prices ET and Collins got I would much rather spend the dollars at other positions and go with "good enough" guys at Safety.

For some reason, Tre Boston is everybodies favorite guy around here!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
ET was a good no signing... you’ll see

Okay, what about all the other guys we avoided? All of those good decisions too? Can you tell us what would be good decisions? Should we spend more high picks on skill positions and taking on their big contracts?

Maybe we can pick up more pot smoking defensive lineman and hope we become their rehab and turn it around?

It's really working out.

silvernblu

Reaction score
We don't. After the franchise tag on Lawrence we have like 25 million. Once they up Dak, that's all gone.

Then we still have Cooper, Zeke, Jones next year. Then we have Jaylon Smith. We will be hard pressed just to have enough money for all those guys.

You don’t understand how the cap works.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I know everybody is tired of hearing this and the thread will probably be merged anyway, but here it goes.

I’ve, for the most part, defended the FO strategy of not being too aggressive on top level free agents. I didn’t like that we were missing out on those guys, but saw incremental improvement and hoped their strategy would eventually pay off and be a sustainable way to keep the team SB competitive.

Helman’s latest tweet said we would continue this strategy now for the 6th year in a row. Where has this gotten us? Nowhere. We lucked into Prescott. If we had it our way, we would be stuck with Paxton Lynch as our QB. Maybe we overestimate how shrewd we are in the draft. Other teams use all available resources to make big turnarounds in much shorter time.

The FO strategy is only going to keep us perpetually stagnant. ET probably would’ve been a Cowboy for 4/$52M and would be a multiplier for our defense. Yet the FO quibbles over $2M/year while having no problem giving money to an unretiring Jason Witten, Jamize Olawale, and picking up $6.25M on Hurns who just suffered a horrific leg injury. This makes zero sense. The FO continues to show their incompetence and can’t be defended anymore.

Agree with everything said. Jerry said he feels a bigger sense of urgency. Prove it! Earl and only Earl would’ve helped this team tremendously and got the fanbase excited at the same time. Win win

Kaiser

Reaction score
For some reason, Tre Boston is everybodies favorite guy around here!

Yeah, nobody really jumps out with ET off the board. But Boston is a FS and had 5 picks in 2017, its someone to think about.