Not so fast J.J. some of us remember the last 20 some years!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest complaints about Jerry during the dark years were that he didn't prioritize the OL sufficiently and his drafts were abysmal. He's seemingly fixed that in recent years so we ought to give him some credit for improving as a GM,,, Garret probably deserves some credit for this as well. ha, that would make some people's heads explode.

He listened to Parcells that set back the OL, bringing in aging overpaid OL, which some did not even play (Reviera). Then switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4, and going after DL as opposed the OL...Jerry is not the blame, or not all of the blame. And yes, Garrett gets credit, in his first full year, he started getting rid of those overpaid aging OL, knowing it would take a hit and a while to rebuild. And Jerry listened to Jason there too.

His biggest improvement as a GM is having Stephen be more involved and them bringing in and listening to Will McClay. Though it still was not all Jerry in those dark years all by himself.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Funny part the season before the Cowboys were sold to Jerry many Cowboy fans where calling for Landry head. People had said the game passed him by and wanted him gone yet when he was gone Jerry took the blame. Fact is Jerry has been getting blamed since Day 1 by many fans. I don't always agree with Jerry but I also know that the Cowboys are more than just a money making business for Jerry. He does have passion for this team and success and while he deserves blame for these past season as GM I don't doubt his intent of trying to build a winner. For me I can laminate on the past or look forward to what is being put in place today and for me that is an easy choice. You can't change what has already happened but you can move forward and build a better future.

Even Tex Schramm came out and later on said, that he was the blame for the way it was handled with Landry. That he should have went to Tom from the start.
Landry himself said he knew what was going to happen.
By the time they were going to tell him, Landry left the area, so they had to track him down in Austin, I believe on a gold course to inform him. Tom said they could have saved the trip.

It was all by coincidence that a local reporter was having dinner in the same restaurant Jerry and Jimmy was having dinner, the night before the announcement. He put it together and leaked the story before the PC.

It was all an unfortunate incident, but people look to hold grudges and reasons to to have excuses.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is one of the biggest icons in the history of the NFL so of course he deserved to be in the hall of fame.

But...

His ego has held this team hostage and we have had to do our best to win while not letting his ego take too big of a hit.

Instead of having the best coaches and GM's we've had horrible to mediocre at both. Excluding Parcells who started with next to nothing here and in his short time got us headed back in the right direction.

Then Parcells quit on the team of what he was building. He was overrated as the HC here as well. He made as many mistakes as he did in having successes.

And it was not Jerry's ego that held the team hostage, but believe as you will. I won't try to convince you otherwise.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hope all your retirement ceremonies from wherever you guys work there's some drunk guy that shows up to talk about the times you showed up late to work or were written up :facepalm::facepalm::huh::facepalm::facepalm:
Right.....what type of person are you that a guy is celebrated for his accomplishments and you run in front of everyone reminding them of the times you failed......

Swanny

Reaction score
OK, JJ has done a lot for the NFL and I get that. His record for the Cowboys should have tarnished the partying. Remember he fired the second best coach we every had that built a team and won a couple of Superbowls. He also fired the best coach we every had who made us Americas Team and won a couple of Supperbowls. As a GM he spent large amounts of money on specialty players and nothing on the OL and DL. That got us 21 years of NO Supperbowls and not too many post season appearances. Until I see us in a Supperbowl I will have this same opinion of JJ.
Jerry is in the HOF for many reasons. Winning, super bowls, etc. But i think the biggest reason he is in is because of the success he has on the business side if things. We must remember the NFL is a business and there has never been a guy more successful than Jerry when it comes to money. He has shown the NFL how to make $$ and how to stay in the spot light. I think its safe to say that Al Davis is the most important owner the NFL has ever had. Then Jerry would be 2nd just because of the money side of the business.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Then Parcells quit on the team of what he was building. He was overrated as the HC here as well. He made as many mistakes as he did in having successes.

And it was not Jerry's ego that held the team hostage, but believe as you will. I won't try to convince you otherwise.

My only complaint with Parcells is he was overly conservative.. Other then that I thought he was great.

We gave him almost no talent and he took us immediately to the playoffs and made us respectable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My only complaint with Parcells is he was overly conservative.. Other then that I thought he was great.

We gave him almost no talent and he took us immediately to the playoffs and made us respectable.

I agree. I think BP did not have the same fire as he did as a younger coach. He showed that at some other stops before Dallas where he faded after a short period, BP later in his career would go through periods of burn out. To have success as a HC you must put in the long days not just during the season but through out the year. This is one reason many former players whom people feel would be great coach choose not to because they know the hours these coaches have to put in. .

diefree666

Reaction score

since you are mostly full of it who cares? You BP haters amuse me; so CONVENIENTLY FORGETTING where we were when he took over.

5-11
5-11
5-11

ring a bell?

BP was too old frankly; did not have enough left In the tank to really get the job done. But he laid the foundation.

By the way the first thing BP did when comin on board was tell Jerry to give the Hotel a new contract. And BP was also the one to bring in Colombo. And he also understood that LA was becoming just a shell of himself and the Team needed to move on. So your BS about the O line is as usual completely slanted.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Way to conservative, and I think that cost us some games.
But getting us to the playoffs with Quincy at QB....man deserves to be in the HOF just for that.....:muttley:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
There is a lot of luck and right timing that goes along with winning and losing. Everything from coaches, players, injuries etc needs to fall into place just right. Not only for your team, but for the other teams as well. Jerry's biggest problem is probably winning too early. He thought it would always be that easy.

That and he completely botched the salary cap. When the salary cap came along we went into the direction of buying high priced FA's while teams like the Steelers and Packers went more into the direction of building thru the draft.

It wasn't until Parcells came along that we started to get with the times in terms of how to build a team and even then we still had some major slip ups along the way.

We've also had our fair share of bad luck. It seems like anytime we took a real chance that could go either boom or bust...it always went bust. Jerry deserves blame in the sense that he likes to gamble instead of taking calculated risks. But you would think that the odds are that some of those gambles would pay off and almost none of them, time and time again, ever did.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That and he completely botched the salary cap. When the salary cap came along we went into the direction of buying high priced FA's while teams like the Steelers and Packers went more into the direction of building thru the draft.

It wasn't until Parcells came along that we started to get with the times in terms of how to build a team and even then we still had some major slip ups along the way.

We've also had our fair share of bad luck. It seems like anytime we took a real chance that could go either boom or bust...it always went bust. Jerry deserves blame in the sense that he likes to gamble instead of taking calculated risks. But you would think that the odds are that some of those gambles would pay off and almost none of them, time and time again, ever did.

YR

True we also were resigning some of our own high priced FA some who we were on the hook for like Aikman, Smith and Irvin despite fading play and career ending injuries. The trade for Galloway hurt because we lost 2 1st rd picks in the process of Jerry trying to win one more SB during that run. Not a knock on Galloway but losing your top picks on a team who should have been rebuilding instead of taking a long shot of 1 more SB. JMO

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
True we also were resigning some of our own high priced FA some who we were on the hook for like Aikman, Smith and Irvin despite fading play and career ending injuries. The trade for Galloway hurt because we lost 2 1st rd picks in the process of Jerry trying to win one more SB during that run. Not a knock on Galloway but losing your top picks on a team who should have been rebuilding instead of taking a long shot of 1 more SB. JMO

Certainly.

They were gambles and IMO they weren't good moves because they were too likely to fail. It's just that it seemed like every single time they failed. I just have the belief that at least 1 of them would work out.

Just like when we re-signed Ratliff to a good deal. The guy turns out to be a flake and refuses to play. Or when we re-signed Free prior to 2011 to make him the franchise LT or RT depending on how Tyron turned out. Free went from having a great 2009 and 2010 season to an enormous dropoff in 2011 that nobody could project or understand why.

Or when we re-sign Miles Austin and he can't keep his hamstring healthy. It was certainly the right move to re-sign Miles, but his hamstrings suddenly were made out of paper mache. Even with Romo last year when his back was supposed to be healthy...ends up getting injured on a simple slide in preseason. Re-sign Larry Allen and he gets bone spurs in his ankle that greatly regress his performance for the rest of his career. Sign Marco Rivera to be that missing piece to the O-Line...injures his back on a treadmill.

And so on...

YR

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

YR
Or, we could be the Browns

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
OK, JJ has done a lot for the NFL and I get that. His record for the Cowboys should have tarnished the partying. Remember he fired the second best coach we every had that built a team and won a couple of Superbowls. He also fired the best coach we every had who made us Americas Team and won a couple of Supperbowls. As a GM he spent large amounts of money on specialty players and nothing on the OL and DL. That got us 21 years of NO Supperbowls and not too many post season appearances. Until I see us in a Supperbowl I will have this same opinion of JJ.

Bum Bright made it a condition of the sale of the team that Jerry had to fire Landry. Bum himself has been quoted as saying he wish he could have taken the heat for Landry's dismissal.

As for Jimmy, do not kid yourself. He wanted out and wanted to be in Miami.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Jimmy has as much to do with leaving than Jerry. As for your opinion everyone has one.
I love the idea that Jerry was supposed to let Jimmy do whatever he wanted to do, no matter how insubordinate he was in the process.

Both are to blame for the split. Its also very, very, very tired to keep bringing it up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I love the idea that Jerry was supposed to let Jimmy do whatever he wanted to do, no matter how insubordinate he was in the process.

Both are to blame for the split. Its also very, very, very tired to keep bringing it up.

I agree. What is done is done. Both men share in the blame and frankly that is how the players on that team took it that both Jimmy and Jerry let them down. As Troy said Jimmy would tell players there would be enough credit to go around if we were winning championships but when it come down to it Jimmy and Jerry were not willing to do so. Troy never complained that he was not in an offense that was not a heavy passing team, hell we ran the ball with Emmitt and played off of the run but as long as Dallas was winning championships Troy was more than content.

rwalters31

Reaction score
OK, JJ has done a lot for the NFL and I get that. His record for the Cowboys should have tarnished the partying. Remember he fired the second best coach we every had that built a team and won a couple of Superbowls. He also fired the best coach we every had who made us Americas Team and won a couple of Superbowl. As a GM he spent large amounts of money on specialty players and nothing on the OL and DL. That got us 21 years of NO Superbowl and not too many post season appearances. Until I see us in a Superbowl I will have this same opinion of JJ.
Guys, I hear your arguments and appreciate all of them. However, as a GM JJ has sucked for so long that as long as JJ is calling the shots I will be suspect of chances of ever see the Superbowl again.