Not sure why we didnt move up in the 3rd to get a RB

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
This has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

The Cowboys like the RBs on the the team much more than the fans do. They know Randle, Ryan Williams and Dunbar really well. McFadden is a perfect fit in the Cowboys Zone scheme and still has terrific physical ability based on 2014 game footage. Think about how Murray looked in 2012 when the OL struggled. McFadden had that type of OL most of his career and at least the Cowboys had a passing game to back the defenders off of the line which Oakland never had.

This. Cant' be said any clearer.

If everything Big D_95 says comes to fruition, then I will seek his counsel on many things yet to pass.

rags747

Reaction score
Dmac will be the starting rb with Randall and Williams spelling him IMO. I think dmac is going to be a big surprise for us,

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
that's the problem. They think the O-line will make any RB great.

Well they do have the All 22 film and they probably saw Murray doing nothing but taking what the oline provided and think anyone can do that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Makes no sense we didn't move up in 3rd round to get Duke Johnson or Coleman. We could have had one of the best drafts ever. Instead we take a Swing Tackle. A Back up when we have no real RB on this team.

This talk about how good our O-line is will fade this season. We will become a passing team again. Also all those 3rd or 4th and short will become pass plays. Our biggest strength was pounding the running game. It took us to the playoffs. Now we just assume we don't need a top RB.

Come draft next year our biggest need will be RB.

1st 2 picks were an A
rest of draft D. We didn't need to draft all the LBers . Would have been better off moving those picks to get Duke or Coleman in the 3rd round.

Oh well we get to watch McFadden avg 3.3 yds a carry and wonder if he will play because he is always hurt.

is duke Johnson or coleman better than McFadden and Randle? both of whom had a lot of questions and thus why they dropped. in case you forgot we lost Parnell who was the swing tackle last year and its just as critical position if not more.free got injured. who stepped in? the swing tackle on the roster.

and has anyone regardless of talent gone to Oakland and seen any success. He was the one RB that half the folks on this very board wanted to trade a bunch of picks to go and get. and Murray was also injury prone every year until this past year.

did I want a RB? yes. but wasn't willing to trade up to get one as none of them was really that worthy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well they do have the All 22 film and they probably saw Murray doing nothing but taking what the oline provided and think anyone can do that.

If that's what they think and see, that's completely sad and pathetic for a professional football staff.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I can't lie. I was among those who thought the Cowboys would take a running, and I was disappointed they didn't. But the only back I was high on enough to give up picks was Todd Gurley. Since he was gone, I was okay with passing on a running back thereafter, particularly if the running back wasn't better than the player they chose. Time will tell.

But I'm giving the team the benefit of the doubt based on prior seasons of success with the draft.

Besides, I can't really hate on Green. I like the philosophy of building the lines more so than drafting skilled players. And if Green can step in and continue the excellent line play we've received, it really doesn't matter who's in the backfield.

Running backs are a dime a dozen, unless they're named Adrian Peterson.

Temo

Reaction score
that's the problem. They think the O-line will make any RB great.

So this is the problematic thinking right here. How do you know that they don't just happen to think that McFadden, or Randle, or Ryan Williams is actually a talented back? Like is that so out of the questions that we NEED to spend a 3rd round pick on a RB?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Regardless of what the OCs are known for, an innovative mind somewhere on that staff was finally able to implement the much needed "balance" last year on offense. When you are so close to the carrot, you don't cut one of your legs off and expect to hippity hop on three legs to reach said carrot that was clearly in sight on four good legs.

I have said it before and I will say it once more. If we go into the season with this rag tag group of RBs, Romo's window is going to get real dirty really quickly.

He has a 2 year window at best. That's it! We were so close.. All we had to do was keep the offense "as is" and build defense. Well.... we failed miserably on one and did exceptionally well in the draft to bolster the other....

One of these clowns is going to get Romo killed in blitz pickup. The thought has haunted me for several weeks now.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So this is the problematic thinking right here. How do you know that they don't just happen to think that McFadden, or Randle, or Ryan Williams is actually a talented back? Like is that so out of the questions that we NEED to spend a 3rd round pick on a RB?

Seeing as how both McFadden and Williams go on IR when they are hit by a breeze, I'm going to say yes, it was a NEED to draft a good prospect RB in this draft.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Regardless of what the OCs are known for, an innovative mind somewhere on that staff was finally able to implement the much needed "balance" last year on offense. When you are so close to the carrot, you don't cut one of your legs off and expect to hippity hop on three legs to reach said carrot that was clearly in sight on four good legs.

I have said it before and I will say it once more. If we go into the season with this rag tag group of RBs, Romo's window is going to get real dirty really quickly.

He has a 2 year window at best. That's it! We were so close.. All we had to do was keep the offense "as is" and build defense. Well.... we failed miserably on one and did exceptionally well in the draft to bolster the other....

One of these clowns is going to get Romo killed in blitz pickup. The thought has haunted me for several weeks now.

We can thank Linehan for that. He wanted to get us back to a run based team as soon as he got here.

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Murray didn't keep Romo clean. He gave up 3 sacks, the most of any rb in the nfl. And McFadden is pretty good in pass protection.

DFWJC

Reaction score
IF there was a trade partner available...
To move up and get Coleman, it would have required basically the rest of our draft.
To get Duke would have required our 3rd, 4th, 5th and maybe a 7th.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the story of our draft is the RB we had targeted were taken right before we picked, and the coaching staff felt we had too many holes to plug to give up picks to move up.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Holy Moly, can we please have a moratorium on the RB freakout until we see the first freaking preseason game?

After that, if there's nothing positive to see from the RBs on board, then let the RB misery begin?

This time last year, after Lee went down, this same exact delirium set in with our LBs…we did just fine, for those who forgot.