Not sure why we didnt move up in the 3rd to get a RB

Ender

Reaction score
I dont understand why people just assume if we drafted a running back in the 3rd or 4th round they'd be any better than the running backs we have on the roster. People who are complaining about not drafting a running back are just disappointed that they cant look at youtube highlights and talk themselves into believing we've just drafted the next AP in the 4th round. After Gurly and Gordon were gone, I would have probably started addressing more pressing concerns. One reason they had to run Demorco into the ground last year was because the crap defense. They needed to address it and they did.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Holy Moly, can we please have a moratorium on the RB freakout until we see the first freaking preseason game?

After that, if there's nothing positive to see from the RBs on board, then let the RB misery begin?

This time last year, after Lee went down, this same exact delirium set in with our LBs…we did just fine, for those who forgot.

well the problem is we all seen the RB on this team in action and it isn't good

BigD_95

Reaction score
I dont understand why people just assume if we drafted a running back in the 3rd or 4th round they'd be any better than the running backs we have on the roster. People who are complaining about not drafting a running back are just disappointed that they cant look at youtube highlights and talk themselves into believing we've just drafted the next AP in the 4th round. After Gurly and Gordon were gone, I would have probably started addressing more pressing concerns. One reason they had to run Demorco into the ground last year was because the crap defense. They needed to address it and they did.

we drafted a back up OL and LB. I rather take the chance drafting Duke Johnson to be a starter. It wouldn't take long for him to up seat McFadden. Heck it didn't take long last year for McFadden to lose his starting job to a RB with a lot less upside then Duke Johnson.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Heck it didn't take long last year for McFadden to lose his starting job to a RB with a lot less upside then Duke Johnson.

it took almost the entire season. On December 7, Murray got starting snaps and ran for 3.3 yards per carry.

but hey, don't let you know, facts, get in the way.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a statement one way or the other about what they did vs what they should have done, I just find the following stats interesting:

In terms of career touches, Murray and McFadden are pretty close (McFadden after 7 years in the league and Murray after 4):

McFadden = 1255 Touches (1038 Rushes + 211 Receiving + 3 Returns + 3 Pass attempts) - 17 (12 lost) fumbles (1 per 74/1 lost per 105)

Murray = 1107 Touches (934 Rushes + 171 Receiving + 2 Returns + 0 Pass attempts) - 12 (8 lost) fumbles (1 per 92/1 lost per 139)

McFadden is 27 years, 8 months old
Demarco is 27 years, 2 months old

Of course there are a lot of reasons for the difference, not all good, that will likely spark a lot of debate but as far as wear and tear, they're pretty similar. Fumbling is a bigger issue with McFadden.

I don't have any idea how things will turn out but its going to be interesting to see how they both do this year.

Last edited:

lostar2009

Reaction score
they also would have pick Duke had he still been on the board. So

To be honest I think they didn't want any rb besides the top 2. In the 3rd round they had some prospects. But in generally I kinda glad they didn't due to the fact it would have crowded up a position group more than necessary.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Murray averaged 5.5 yards a carry when Smith was a rookie. PFF had the line then ranked 16th in run blocking.

that's only part of the story. total yards increased as we added more OL. there were multiple changes that contributed to that, including commitment to run the ball as well as taking some of the play calling at the line away from romo.

the one thing that really stood out to me is we almost had 900 yards before the RB was touched last year. randle had 6.2 yards per carry. so did I want to keep murray? yes. but not at 7 mill a year. did I want a RB in he draft? yes but not willing to trade up and get Gurley or Gordon given all our other needs. did I think some of the other RBs were better than what we have, that's a big question. not sure I agree with that.

to take a RB just for the sake of taking a RB doesn't make sense if the scouting dept. assess their ability less than what we have on the roster.

so this entire debate is if any of the RBs taken 3rd round on were any better than what we have on the roster.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Murray didn't keep Romo clean. He gave up 3 sacks, the most of any rb in the nfl. And McFadden is pretty good in pass protection.

Feel free to evaluate those three you claim so we can make absolutely sure it was Demarco. I'll wait.

Romo is going to get killed in blitz pickup. Call it freakout, overreaction, bad nerves.. whatever you want. Going into the season with this bunch is going to bring us closer to 8-8 than anything in a more progressive direction.

Ender

Reaction score
we drafted a back up OL and LB. I rather take the chance drafting Duke Johnson to be a starter. It wouldn't take long for him to up seat McFadden. Heck it didn't take long last year for McFadden to lose his starting job to a RB with a lot less upside then Duke Johnson.

I'm not sure Duke Johnson is better than Randle. And if we are going by college, and thats all we can go by because Duke johnson hasnt played in the NFL, he was no where near as good of a player entering the draft as Mcfadden was a couple years back. So again, people are just sad they cant go watch youtube highlights.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes no sense we didn't move up in 3rd round to get Duke Johnson or Coleman. We could have had one of the best drafts ever. Instead we take a Swing Tackle. A Back up when we have no real RB on this team.

This talk about how good our O-line is will fade this season. We will become a passing team again. Also all those 3rd or 4th and short will become pass plays. Our biggest strength was pounding the running game. It took us to the playoffs. Now we just assume we don't need a top RB.
You really don't understand do you?

Garrettop

Reaction score

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better. But ah, ol Garrettop just wants to pass the ball amirite?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Anyone notice that Seattle gave up a 3rd (95th), 4th (112th), 5th (167th) and 6th (181st) to trade up to 69? So landing Coleman or Johnson could have cost us the rest of our draft

jrumann59

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a statement one way or the other about what they did vs what they should have done, I just find the following stats interesting:

In terms of career touches, Murray and McFadden are pretty close (McFadden after 7 years in the league and Murray after 4):

McFadden = 1255 Touches (1038 Rushes + 211 Receiving + 3 Returns + 3 Pass attempts) - 17 (12 lost) fumbles (1 per 74/1 lost per 105)

Murray = 1107 Touches (934 Rushes + 171 Receiving + 2 Returns + 0 Pass attempts) - 12 (8 lost) fumbles (1 per 92/1 lost per 139)

McFadden is 27 years, 8 months old
Demarco is 27 years, 2 months old

Of course there are a lot of reasons for the difference, not all good, that will likely spark a lot of debate but as far as wear and tear, they're pretty similar. Fumbling is a bigger issue with McFadden.

I don't have any idea how things will turn out but its going to be interesting to see how they both do this year.

McFadden got better with ball security as his career went along, he fumbled more early in his career but not later. Look up the stats 2008-2010 he had 12 fumbles, from 2011 until now only 5

Murray has had 12 in 4 years and last year he got lucky with 3-4 more that he fumbled along the sideline. Part of his problem last year was he was in contract year ans he new every yard was going to drive his price up. Up til last year he was known more for making "business" decisions, sorry but a RB in contract year decides to ball out is not what this team needs. Rememebr many here were ticked when he would go out of bounds a yard early in the 2013 season.