Not the same without the fans

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's pretty amazing they actually had fans in the stands. The dedication despite thr health risks is pretty amazing.
Opponent fans have gone to games in Philly and Oakland in years past...that is far more dangerous than Covid...

Depression gets most Brown's fans.

Too many sausages get most Bear's fans.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched the Chiefs vs Texans game Thursday night and it confirmed what I imagined, believed that limited fans in the seats and how it would affect my perception.
Its just my perception, and I do not expect anyone else to agree, but I honestly felt less interested because of the lack of fans in the seats.
I enjoyed watching a future star in CEH setting rookie records, that kid is amazing, and Im so thankful that KC is not in our division, our conference..
Just saying, just asking... are you going to watch this season with no fans in the seats and get the same feel for the game?
It felt so strange.
They should setup zoom meetings for all fans to be on together...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
lol,, funny you said that,, I was just making a joke about that earlier today when talking to one of my nation wide die hard Cowboys fans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The amount of money the NFL makes, has made..... So you follow the model of social distancing that KC had with the 17,000 spaced, and put LED monitors mounted in the open space between the live fans.
Zoom in and now we have true virtual reality!!!!
Your on to something big here xwalker.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol,, funny you said that,, I was just making a joke about that earlier today when talking to one of my nation wide die hard Cowboys fans.
They would have to limit the volume from each individual fan. The volume would need to be relative to the total number if fans making noise.

There could have a filter that would cut off your mic if you played music, etc..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The amount of money the NFL makes, has made..... So you follow the model of social distancing that KC had with the 17,000 spaced, and put LED monitors mounted in the open space between the live fans.
Zoom in and now we have true virtual reality!!!!
Your on to something big here xwalker.

Good idea. Just put a mic, camera and speaker in each seat and let fans buy a virtual seat...

Wait until Jerry figures out that he can fit 500,000 virtual fans into Jerry world and he does not even need to run the Air Conditioning...

MikeB80

Reaction score
IM pretty sure they have already said the games with no fans will add crowd noise. I know I listen to radio broadcasts and from that perspective ou will never know there is not a crowd because there will be one baked into the broadcast. I think it will be emotionally like a real crowd also.

I believe television will do the same things. The difference in baseball and football is that the broadcasters will be in the building calling the game live. A lot of the press will be in attendance also. I heard David Moore say yesterday that there will be 43 reporters in the LA press Box sunday night...which I guess he said is about a third of the normal amount. AT&T stadium will have limited press also.

so at least the broadcasters tv/radio will be in the stadiums.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Watched the Chiefs vs Texans game Thursday night and it confirmed what I imagined, believed that limited fans in the seats and how it would affect my perception.
Its just my perception, and I do not expect anyone else to agree, but I honestly felt less interested because of the lack of fans in the seats.
I enjoyed watching a future star in CEH setting rookie records, that kid is amazing, and Im so thankful that KC is not in our division, our conference..
Just saying, just asking... are you going to watch this season with no fans in the seats and get the same feel for the game?
It felt so strange.

They still louder than we will ever get in AT&T stadium!

mcmvp

Reaction score
It felt so strange.

I had the same feeling all through TC leading up to this season (that I didn't think what actually happen). And yes...the game was not the same without fans. Sports is emotional...and if you take away the biggest source of that emotion, it is going to feel less impactful.

That said, this sort of football is much better than no football at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I could only tell when there was shots of the crowd but that was at first. Eventually you didn't even notice. Its how the NBA was. Took some time to get use to but eventually we got a solid product.

I think the idea of playing on a neutral field is interesting even though Chiefs were somehow allowed to have fans which seems unfair.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I had the same feeling all through TC leading up to this season (that I didn't think what actually happen). And yes...the game was not the same without fans. Sports is emotional...and if you take away the biggest source of that emotion, it is going to feel less impactful.

That said, this sort of football is much better than no football at all.
from your seat at your home, bar, or otherwise whats changed? most watch it from HOME , a watching party or a sports bar.. all can still be done.. some fans will be at the game but Millions watch it from TV and from what ive ready,

TV CONTRACTS ARE WHAT IS KEEPING SPORTS ABLE TO PAY THESE REDICUOLUS CONTRACTS. im sure owners make a lot of money from attendance at games, with parking and concessions etc. However more comes from TV

so whats changed for the millions who will do it as they've always done, watch it on a TV somewhere?

my emotions have always been throwing things and yelling at the TV? so not sure all the hubbub plus ive watched the Mavs, stars, and other sports on TV so far i cant really tell the difference as the games are still intense..

the Texans -KC games felt like a normal game to me..

pancakeman

Reaction score
I don't like the fake audience noise. It reminds me of corny laugh tracks on tv sitcoms. I would love to see them broadcast games with no artificial crowd noise and see if we could get used to it. Mic up the players and coaches more carefully (profanity of course would be an issue) and maybe the game would feel more up close than ever. Just like "30 Rock" is funny enough not to need the crutch of a laugh track. But I know mine is the minority view and the league would never take that risk.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a little different but not much. The cameras will focus much more on the field until there are fans in the stands and I've never watched for fans.

I think our awareness is what's different and if they can keep the action going and stop the breaks so often, we can get more into the game and the ancillary parts do not matter as much.

What will be interesting will be to check any fallout from KC and JAX allowing fans. If that works, most of these venues are going to greenlight limited seating until that becomes an issue.

I hope the fans that do go grasp that they're critical to more fans getting to go.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Totally with you, @Typhus. The fans are a huge part of the emotion of football and it makes a big difference not having them there. The completely empty stadiums like in LA will be even worse than what we saw in KC.

Same thing with basketball. It's just part of this crappy year, I guess.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m opposed to allowing some venues to admit fans. I’d argue it’s an unfair advantage.

17,000 fans still generated some crowd noise and normalcy to the atmosphere.

Im surprised like MLB the NFL isn’t dictating a broad policy.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm sure itll feel different when there's games with no fans at all. But it didn't seem to weird from what i watched.
yeah this is what concerns me , to just have silence after or during a big play.
Crowd noise is a big part of watching a game, and if it is just silence it will make a difference.

The thur night game had 17,000 people so there was crowd noise, as usual, just not as loud.
The rams game wont have any fans, so I am hoping they used canned noise, to make it seem like a regular game.

I watched the xfl games, and in one of those there was only a few fans, and they made no noise lol and it was weird and made the game
less exciting .
Then on top of that I think they should not show the empty stadium, and then use canned noise, then it would all seem normal.

But I doubt they will, they will show the empty stadium off and on, even though there is no point or reason to do so , and I doubt they have
the good sense to use the canned noise. As a result of this after week 1 I think they will see a drop in ratings for nfl games where no fans allowed.
There may be a drop in 2nd half of games too as casual fans may tune out.
And remember neilsen viewers control the ratings, if 5 of them tune out, that could represent 1 mil people. All ratings are just estimates
based on what small group of neilsen viewers watch.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m opposed to allowing some venues to admit fans. I’d argue it’s an unfair advantage.

17,000 fans still generated some crowd noise and normalcy to the atmosphere.

Im surprised like MLB the NFL isn’t dictating a broad policy.
The nfl policy is limited fans are allowed, certain states or cities are declaring no fans in their city or state , so that is not on the nfl.

It is a little unfair , but players need to motivate themselves and super loud crowd noise is not going to be a factor in any game this season.
Limited crowds cant make that much noise.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
If no/limited fans is what it takes to have football I'm ok with that. I didn't really notice one way or another on Thursday.