CFZ Now is when Cowboys must prove they’re for real

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
If we dont catch Philly, we are going to Atlanta or Tampa in the first round.

Even though they gave us our most embarrassing loss, I would not mind playing in Tampa on WC weekend
I'd prefer Atlanta. Certain QB just seem to have their way with us each time we face them. Rogers and Brady are among them.

You have to beat them all if you want that championship, I know. But I wouldn't mind an easier start.

Vabchshark

Reaction score
NFL Champions are usually forged in November and December. The winners of the last 4 SBs all had 4-5 losses after 10-12 games, then they all got red hot in November and December, riding that momentum all the way to a Lombardi.

The Cowboys sit now at 8-3, fresh off two wins over teams with winning records and fresh off finally winning their Thanksgiving Day game for the first time since 2018. The remaining 6 games will determine how this postseason sets up for this team. These are the remaining regular season games:
  • Colts at home
  • Texans at home
  • @Jags
  • Eagles at home
  • @Titans
  • @Commanders
If the Cowboys could either win out or go 5-1 in the remaining 6 games, they still have a legit shot at the division and possibly the #1 seed.

If we end up a Wild Card team, this team will need to prove something they haven’t done in 30 years: Win a playoff game on the road. (Last road playoff win was under Jimmy Johnson in ‘92 NFC Championship game!)

So we absolutely don’t need any “Super Bowl talk” from any of the Jones boys. This team needs to do their talking on the field.

NOW is the time to prove it. It’s all there for the taking.

You are absolutely correct!!

Vabchshark

Reaction score
NFL Champions are usually forged in November and December. The winners of the last 4 SBs all had 4-5 losses after 10-12 games, then they all got red hot in November and December, riding that momentum all the way to a Lombardi.

The Cowboys sit now at 8-3, fresh off two wins over teams with winning records and fresh off finally winning their Thanksgiving Day game for the first time since 2018. The remaining 6 games will determine how this postseason sets up for this team. These are the remaining regular season games:
  • Colts at home
  • Texans at home
  • @Jags
  • Eagles at home
  • @Titans
  • @Commanders
If the Cowboys could either win out or go 5-1 in the remaining 6 games, they still have a legit shot at the division and possibly the #1 seed.

If we end up a Wild Card team, this team will need to prove something they haven’t done in 30 years: Win a playoff game on the road. (Last road playoff win was under Jimmy Johnson in ‘92 NFC Championship game!)

So we absolutely don’t need any “Super Bowl talk” from any of the Jones boys. This team needs to do their talking on the field.

You are absolutely correct!!

cristglo

Reaction score
Mental toughness and a little luck. :)
Ever notice that teams that got the big Dance have the best Luck? Fumbles turn their way Calls go their way and players stay healthy.LOL
I don't want to have to face Tom Brady he and Rodgers seem to own us. SF was an Achilles when we began our rule in the 90's Just saying. lol
If we play SF that's exactly what we need Mental Toughness.
Micha leads the way.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm sorry guys but I think this is far from over we are not guaranteed anything.

I hear everyone say they think the Eagles are just going to crash and burn but it looks like they are adding pieces where they need them They are working out and they are separating themselves in our division.

Yes we beat a couple good teams but the Washington commanders are not going away and if anyone cares to look at the standings we have eight wins and the Giants and the commanders have seven apiece.

Just because we beat the Vikings and the Giants does not mean we are guaranteed to beat the colts jags and Texans.

The last game of the season against the commanders could be very important and if I know the league it will certainly have maximum value to draw viewers by the time we get to it

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Those pesky Packers have downgraded the legit shot down to 'a shot'. The picture will be more clear after next week, if the Eagles overcome the Titans and their rush defense there's not another realistic defeat, apart from ourselves (based on the run defense of the remaining games).

If (and yes we're working on assumptions) we are facing the Eagles on Christmas Eve, still two games behind, do we show our defensive hand (on how to stop Hurts) or do we play basic defensive formations and keep our powder dry for a play-off?

The initial response is.....of course we go all out to beat the Eagles (even if that means showing them every defensive play we have) and HOPE the Saints or Giants do us a favor, but in the strong likelihood that in this scenario we're going to play them away even if we win do we hold back some 'shows' for the play-offs?

The one aspect i'm thinking is the RPO/RPR and the one factor that may help...overloading the RDE with Micah and Damone spying at LB (to the right).

Yep, off work today...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly believe that 90% of the mental toughness of the 90’s Cowboys dynasty came from one man - Emmitt Smith. It is why he’s my all-time favorite Cowboys player. Back in the 70’s, the team relied on the toughness and mental strength of Staubach. It was Emmitt in the 90’s. Can Micah get them there now??!
I also think Jimmy had a lot to do with too with those 90s teams toughness. His absolute hatred for losing rubbed off on the entire organization. When Jimmy wasn’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

In the 70s, Tom Landry’s absolute commitment to being completely prepared for every opponent coupled with Roger’s never say die attitude were the catalysts.

We need Micah’s competitiveness to rub off on this team. For too long, there has been a country club attitude at the Star. If we’re ever going to break this 27 year playoff misery it’s going to take some strong mental toughness.

DStar22

Reaction score
I also think Jimmy had a lot to do with too with those 90s teams toughness. His absolute hatred for losing rubbed off on the entire organization. When Jimmy wasn’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

In the 70s, Tom Landry’s absolute commitment to being completely prepared for every opponent coupled with Roger’s never say die attitude were the catalysts.

We need Micah’s competitiveness to rub off on this team. For too long, there has been a country club attitude at the Star. If we’re ever going to break this 27 year playoff misery it’s going to take some strong mental toughness.
agree 100%

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The biggest fear I have is this team having to go into Philly on a windy 10 degree day in January. As with most warm weather/dome teams the Cowboys almost never fare well in those conditions. At least Dak, Zeke and CeeDee have shown they have sense enough to put on sleeves in those conditions. Nothing says "I'm an idiot" like a guy going sleeveless in freezing temperatures trying to show he's "tough." You can be tough as nails but if you expose enough of your body to the cold for long enough your body will start to shut down. Fingers and toes will freeze.. lungs will burn.. and your body will go into survival mode. If and when the Cowboys have to travel to play in sub-freezing temperatures I need them all in longjohns, long sleeves and the little heater inserts in their shoes and gloves. Skiers know what um talkin about.

cnuball21

Reaction score
All wins are created equal, no matter what months they’re in.

If we can get to 10 wins in the next 3 weeks and be in a position to rest starters or guys battling injury end of year I’m for it.

Just need to show up in the playoffs.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The biggest fear I have is this team having to go into Philly on a windy 10 degree day in January. As with most warm weather/dome teams the Cowboys almost never fare well in those conditions. At least Dak, Zeke and CeeDee have shown they have sense enough to put on sleeves in those conditions. Nothing says "I'm an idiot" like a guy going sleeveless in freezing temperatures trying to show he's "tough." You can be tough as nails but if you expose enough of your body to the cold for long enough your body will start to shut down. Fingers and toes will freeze.. lungs will burn.. and your body will go into survival mode. If and when the Cowboys have to travel to play in sub-freezing temperatures I need them all in longjohns, long sleeves and the little heater inserts in their shoes and gloves. Skiers know what um talkin about.
This is a bit dramatic.

A windy 10 degree day will separate the men from the boys but a normal 20-30 degree winter day is nothing to fear. I'd take that over a 90 degree day every time.

Average January temps in Philly are 41/28.

blueblood70

Reaction score

• Colts at home
  • Texans at home
  • @Jags
  • Eagles at home
  • @Titans
  • @Commanders

None of those are gimmes as Jags just beat the ravens and gave many teas a hard game, Washington a lot better the expected and Indy even got close to beating the Eagles and well Titans are a tough as they come and does what our defense has issues with. on paper, that might not look tough, but that's a pretty tough 6 games.

and thats a bit too high of expectations IMO, id say coming out of that 4-2 is more realistic and still, thats winning record down the stretch, I'll take it..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is a bit dramatic.

A windy 10 degree day will separate the men from the boys but a normal 20-30 degree winter day is nothing to fear. I'd take that over a 90 degree day every time.

Yep, we hardly lit it up this past January in a dome vrs 49ers.
Having to play in Philly in ths cold may be a blessing it means Moore will hopefully keep the ball on the ground.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing for certain, IND, HOU, JAX coaches will have no problem getting their players up for those games because of who it is and the additional exposure.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing for certain, IND, HOU, JAX coaches will have no problem getting their players up for those games because of who it is and the additional exposure.
Sometimes late in the season-playing a road underdog who would love nothing more than knocking out a playoff contender is a much tougher game than it looks to be.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is a bit dramatic.

I'm not talking about the average.. I'm talking about those days after Nor-easter rolls through and temps drop to ridiculously low levels. I have played in 20 degree weather and for this native Floridian I can attest.. It stinks.. Bad. And don't let it be wet/raining out. The first time you fall in it and your uniform gets soaked in ice water you are just about dead. I have no interest in watching it so I hope the temps stay "normal" if the Cowboys have to go to Philly January. And I grew up in Florida.. We called 90 degree weather.. "Thursday."

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yep, we hardly lit it up this past January in a dome vrs 49ers.
Having to play in Philly in ths cold may be a blessing it means Moore will hopefully keep the ball on the ground.

If that's what it takes to get this to happen then I'm cheering for it all day. However the 49ers held the Packers and Rodgers to what 6 points? And the Rams to 20 or so.. We may want to acknowledge that was a great defense. Nobody was lighting them up the last 6-7 games of the season. The other thing we have to quit glossing over is Zeke on one leg and Tyron completely gimped up as well as Dak himself never really recovering from his own injury. Hopefully we'll be a little closer to full health this time around.. Plus we won't have "Holding #52, offense" in the playbook ..

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Even though I'd like the one seed and HFA frankly having it has not worked out all that well for us the last couple of times. Given the psychological make up of this team I really think they function better in the underdog, counted out role than they do in the favorite role. Until they show me they are mentally tough enough not to lose sight of the prize after the media starts blowing sunshine up their arses I want them to stay hungry.. Maybe being a wild card longshot is just what the doctor ordered.
Remember a few weeks ago when Jimmy Johnson, while promoting his book, “Swagger”, said this was the best Cowboys team he’s ever seen? Then we promptly go and lay an egg in Green Bay.

We got humbled and then walked into arguably one of the best team’s home turf and played the best game possibly ever. I like our team playing with a chip on their shoulder.