Now it makes sense about hiring Kellen

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
They are not extending Garrett so why would you go out and convince some guy to come into this organization if you plan on hiring a new head coach in a year who will want his own staff anyways?

This way you can test out a new guy while lessoning the sting of being fired a year later.

Same with Kitna

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, it's only reports right now that he's not getting extended, so we won't really know for sure until this offseason progresses more and more. I mean if FA rolls around he's not extended, then it's probably a safe assumption he's coaching for his job in 2019.

I want to think that Moore is really a wunderkind, the next McVay and that's why we hired him but I suspect there is truth in what you wrote - that given this is looking like a make it or break it year for Garrett, it was probably more difficult to go out and bring in an experienced OC. Not many, if any, would want to sign onto a situation where they could be out in a year.

I also wonder if also at play here is Garrett basically told Jerry that if this is a make it or break it year, Garrett wants to be more involved in the play calling which made it easier to just give Moore the OC job.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Again, it's only reports right now that he's not getting extended, so we won't really know for sure until this offseason progresses more and more. I mean if FA rolls around he's not extended, then it's probably a safe assumption he's coaching for his job in 2019.

I want to think that Moore is really a wunderkind, the next McVay and that's why we hired him but I suspect there is truth in what you wrote - that given this is looking like a make it or break it year for Garrett, it was probably more difficult to go out and bring in an experienced OC. Not many, if any, would want to sign onto a situation where they could be out in a year.

I also wonder if also at play here is Garrett basically told Jerry that if this is a make it or break it year, Garrett wants to be more involved in the play calling which made it easier to just give Moore the OC job.
it's a crap teaser is all it is. false hope for change that is never coming. :)

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
That’s probably part of it. No OC is going to want to come in under what looks like a lame duck head coach.

The other part, of course, is that Moore seems to have impressed a bunch of the right people as a very bright football mind.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How much do you think Booger is paying Moore as opposed to an OC that might want to be considered for HC, if Richard is not in line for that?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
How is it a "smart move" by the owner of a 5 BILLION dollar franchise to waste a whole season so as to save 5 million ?

Take your time
Ok I guess that came out wrong. Keeping garrett this year is wasting a year and dumb as ever no matter who you hire, so I agree it is wasting a year and dumb.
Smart only on top of the obvious dumb move I guess

ItzKelz

Reaction score
They are not extending Garrett so why would you go out and convince some guy to come into this organization if you plan on hiring a new head coach in a year who will want his own staff anyways?

This way you can test out a new guy while lessoning the sting of being fired a year later.

Same with Kitna
They didn't extend Jason the last time he was on the last year of his contract. It is how they do business. But nice conspiracy theory

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
That’s probably part of it. No OC is going to want to come in under what looks like a lame duck head coach.

The other part, of course, is that Moore seems to have impressed a bunch of the right people as a very bright football mind.
Maybe, so he has a year to "interview" for the next headcoach

blueblood70

Reaction score
How is it a "smart move" by the owner of a 5 BILLION dollar franchise to waste a whole season so as to save 5 million ?

Take your time
its waste before it happens, how the phack do you know this? this is hyperbole bro, you cant tell the future or you wouldn't be in here debating what might happen..what if JG does take us one more game to the NFCCG or the SB..No one knows..period..according to you the entire season a waste:facepalm::huh: before it happens..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett did that very same thing and could have had the ATL or BAL HC job.

I would like to see this be Garrett's last year and for him to go to a team as a HC more in charge of his own staff just to see what he could do.

Moore is the beneficiary of the McVay Effect. The NFL is a follower's league so the quest for the next McVay is on. AZ even took on a HC with a poor record and few connections in the NFL to find the next McVay. Nagy and Reich's success is also fanning the flames.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Maybe, so he has a year to "interview" for the next headcoach

Not just that. There’s a chance that Garrett stays on. Failing to extend him now isn’t committing to letting him go.

Garrett is now effectively on a one-year ‘prove it’ deal. It remains possible for him to prove it. I think it takes nothing less than the NFCCG and reason to believe we can still go further.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
They didn't extend Jason the last time he was on the last year of his contract. It is how they do business. But nice conspiracy theory
Yeah too bad it may be only a theory because remember we have Jerry as our GM and he is dumb enough to keep him this year so why not a another 20 years of Jason on the sidelines giving us at best mediocrity

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Having Moore working closely with Garrett could be designed to make an easier transition for a new HC after this coming season as well.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
What I wonder is if Moore impressed and does good things with the offense, do we still keep garrett?

ESisback

Reaction score
Everyone is saying the kid’s got “it”, so Jerry thinks he COULD have his own in house McVay. By not extending Garrett, it sends the message that he’s coaching for his job, as well as telling Kellen “Here’s your shot!”

Depending on how 2019 goes, they have multiple options:

1)Extend Garrett and keep Moore at OC.
2)Fire Garrett, bring in an outside replacement, and keep Moore at OC.
3)Jettison JG, promote Moore to HC, and bring in a new OC.
4)Fire Garrett, promote Richard to HC, keep Moore at OC, and change DC.

Options.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Yeah too bad it may be only a theory because remember we have Jerry as our GM and he is dumb enough to keep him this year so why not a another 20 years of Jason on the sidelines giving us at best mediocrity
I really think if Romo was not so injury prone we would have already won a Superbowl. It was the cards we were dealt. Now there is a new deck.

Sydla

Reaction score
Kelz is right. Garrett signed a 4 year deal in 2011. He coached 2011-2012-2013-2014 under the deal. They didn't extend him until after the 2014 season. So Garrett coaching out his contract isn't new.

But recall at that time, it was said Garrett had to improve on his 8-8 runs to get an extension. They went out and went 12-4 and lost a heartbreaker to the Packers that last season, so it made it easy for Jerry to extend Garrett. I suspect if Garrett had spit out another 8-8 year in 2014, he would have been gone.

It's the same scenario here I would guess. If Garrett can't improve on his 2018 season, I am guessing Jerry will begrudgingly decide to move on. And I think the OC market knows this as well which is why it was likely tough to get an established OC in here.