Now that’s over - what defensive Free Agents can we afford

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I’m sure they’ll do a bunch of restructures to free up 15-20 million for free agency. Are there 2-3 quality defensive free agents they could look at and now afford that would be a bridge until the likely high influx of rookies gets up to speed?

Creeper

Reaction score
We'll have to see how the Dak deal is structured. I heard there are 2 voidable years so this is really a 6 years deal as far as prorating the bonus is concerned. But I also heard the deal is frontloaded. I have a feeling we will be bargain basement shopping again in free agency.

Jipper

Reaction score
this went in the toilet bowl today

not really....daks contract saves almost 15 mil on the cap this year ( from what I’ve seen 22 vs 37 mil in 2021) so there will actually be more money this year for free agency.

Add in the 30 mil or so for restructuring dlaw and cooper, no you have 40 mil plus.

we will have plenty of money and as long as the cap goes up we will continue to be fine.

I’m not a big fan of 42 mil a year for dak but it’s done and not changing....got to focus on what’s next and the cowboys can still play in fa

Bizwah

Reaction score
He counts for $22.2 million this year...according to most reports. That's 15 less than the tag would have cost the team. We can restructure several deals to easily free up money (Martin and Cooper). We can sign probably any player we want.

But you know we won't.....we don't operate that way. We will do what we've always done. We will fill holes with reasonably priced vets before the draft and let it come to us.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m sure they’ll do a bunch of restructures to free up 15-20 million for free agency. Are there 2-3 quality defensive free agents they could look at and now afford that would be a bridge until the likely high influx of rookies gets up to speed?
We won't be looking at DE's, so after signing Dak we could probably afford anyone at our need spots. We could probably afford a top DE if thats what we need.

Not saying we will do much, but we have the ability

coult44

Reaction score
He counts for $22.2 million this year...according to most reports. That's 15 less than the tag would have cost the team. We can restructure several deals to easily free up money (Martin and Cooper). We can sign probably any player we want.

But you know we won't.....we don't operate that way. We will do what we've always done. We will fill holes with reasonably priced vets before the draft and let it come to us.
They won’t sign any player you want. they will sign the bargain basement guys. it’s how they roll

plymkr

Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I kind of like Sherman for a safety spot or backup CB, only on the cheap tho. I don't wnat to pay a lot for him and hopefully he wants to be with his old coach. To be honest I don't want Sherman's play as much as his cockiness and swagger. For this defense to get better we need a Jay Ratliff, Charles Haley, Leon Lett, Alonzo Spellmen kind of guy. And what I mean by that is we need some crazies on our defense. We need some nastiness. We have too many male models on this team. Too many Zoolanders that care more about being really really ridiculously good looking. For goodness sakes, our defense is nicknamed after a boy band from the 80's. Charles Haley would have punched DLaw in the face for naming the defense after a boy band.

We need some attitude, nastiness, crazy guys that people are scared of. We need Greg Lloyd, Ray Lewis personalities and less of Jaylon Smith personalities. We need players that the offense is going to be worried about fighting them. Now we got other team's offensive players that want to buy sunglasses off our defense.

lockster

Reaction score
I..sending in my resume right now. Jerry can afford me. :). I'll also take a long term contract if he demands it. ;)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What we can afford doesn't matter. Which free agents the FO has their eye on is of more interest. They should be able to afford whoever they want, they are in a good cap space situation now.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
not really....daks contract saves almost 15 mil on the cap this year ( from what I’ve seen 22 vs 37 mil in 2021) so there will actually be more money this year for free agency.

Add in the 30 mil or so for restructuring dlaw and cooper, no you have 40 mil plus.

we will have plenty of money and as long as the cap goes up we will continue to be fine.

I’m not a big fan of 42 mil a year for dak but it’s done and not changing....got to focus on what’s next and the cowboys can still play in fa

It’s still 160 mil, if it helps us this year it just means it hurts us more later.