Now they can’t trade for ET

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In order it’s not the same as the others. Doesn’t need the same draft capital.

Ok and Dallas can get a pro bowl safety now, any TE we get in the draft is not going to replace Witten. I think Dallas has a great opportunity to make this a top defense now. I hate to see Witten leave if that ends up being the case

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Don't you know Zoners love to overreact about everything?

It's not just Zoners. I am seeing it all over social media. People melting down and acting like we are losing one of the best players. The TE's behind him will be fine. They finally get a chance to play. They never did with Witten here.

I get it. Witten played here a decade and a half. But it was way beyond time to move on. I'll tip my cap for his service but dude made millions, has a nice family, will get a nice pension and will go on to make millions in a booth. This isn't some tragedy.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't think we're being forced into a drafting a TE today. I think there will be some decent options, but still think the FO sees The Rico Project as the ideal state.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If a quality TE slides to 50, you pull the trigger.
I am not prematurely sacrificing the 50th pick for an aging money hungry ET.

The value of a quality starting TE in the 2nd round benefits this team more long-term than acquiring ET.

There are no dual TE who are excellent blockers as well receivers in this draft that Witten provided. Dallas scrambling and reaching for a TE is not a great move in my view.

JBond

Reaction score
I've said for a bit now if SEA wants to get something for ET they are gonna have to take a 2019 pick from me or settle for a 4th rounder.

All that said Dallas has cap space and can hit that late free agency wave for NFL talent.
I would be willing to give up the third if we grab a solid WR in the 2nd. I want Miller. Address guard in the fourth. A TE can be found later.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry and the Cowboys are still talking...do it in the 3rd. 1-LB, 2-WR, 3-S!!

I don't even care what happens afterwards...

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I've said for a bit now if SEA wants to get something for ET they are gonna have to take a 2019 pick from me or settle for a 4th rounder.

All that said Dallas has cap space and can hit that late free agency wave for NFL talent.
There is no player in the second round that will give you even half of what ET will. That's a given.

Now, you do have to pay him. The team ranks at the bottom of positional spend there. So it works if they have to pay 9 mill a year there.

Now, if you don't think we need a major upgrade at safety, then I understand. But I think we do.

Maybe Seattle really wants to get something for him and you play hard ball, yeah, ideally you only need to give up a third this year and maybe a fifth next year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Heck, I would for sure go get ET now and find the best DT out there. Panicking and plugging Wittens hole would be a mistake.

Lets stock up on defense and let them carry the offense for a change :flagwave:

DiResta

Reaction score
they could use #50 for Earl and still use 3rd for TE, OG or WR plus they have lots of late picks they can package to move back into the 3rd or 4th where there is value
they can get depth late
if none of the receivers can take the #1 job then next year you cut a couple loose and draft a guy high

Etchyboy

Reaction score
Lmao. They don't need a TE in the high rounds. Not like we are replacing some great TE. Witten was good in his prime but lately, been very meh and hinders this offense.

This is just a silly correlation. Witten retires and now ET is off the table? Sure thing buddy.

To be fair you can make a correlation between Jason Witten production fall off and that of Jimmy Graham. Your going from a pocket passer Romo/Brees to a option QB Prescott/Wilson. TE for option QBs rely on a TEs blocking abilities more then their receiving abilities. Jason was/is an amazing blocker so naturally his other stats will fall. Those other stats seem to be only important to people who care about fantasy stats.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There is no player in the second round that will give you even half of what ET will. That's a given.

Now, you do have to pay him. The team ranks at the bottom of positional spend there. So it works if they have to pay 9 mill a year there.

Now, if you don't think we need a major upgrade at safety, then I understand. But I think we do.

Maybe Seattle really wants to get something for him and you play hard ball, yeah, ideally you only need to give up a third this year and maybe a fifth next year.
I can understand this take and if we were NE then of course!
But we are a young team moving to cheaper players and Safety is an area where we have good young players ready to roll for a collective 4M in cap hit.
ET is a, 8.5M cap hit this year that wants a RAISE.

Generally it's very very to win a trade this this with a vet player because long term they decline daily while the asset(s) you trade off get better daily.

There are 30 other teams saying, naw fam, that's OK to SEA right now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Still need a WR and LG

And it might be the fourth round before the team does it.

The reason Dallas picks up players like Fleming and Hurns is so it doesn't have to draft a certain position. Would the team like to upgrade those spots like it did linebacker? You betcha.

It also would like to upgrade safety and Thomas is a better option there than any player the team could likely get at another position. If we trade a second for Thomas, then the third and two fourths will probably be used on some combination of TE, OL and WR. Based on our current depth, I'd say we're also likely to add another S and LB, as well as an RB. I would love a monster DT, but that's probably low on the priority list since Vea was taken way ahead of where we picked.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don't think we're being forced into a drafting a TE today. I think there will be some decent options, but still think the FO sees The Rico Project as the ideal state.
There is some decent TEs in the later rounds as well. LG, DT, LB and possibly WR are still high needs for the team