Now who fights for a roster spot?

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Between the Draft picks and the UDRFA , last years Draft picks and UDRFA this pre season is gonna be off da chain !!!!! I mean I see some guys that could really make this team

Cox could be cut if he doesn't show out, Semi and Tolbert are now totally expendable Gallimore you better bring your A Game. Will Bell make the necessary jump at Safety ? I see two TE's that could replace Fergy and Hendershot

What will the Scouts kid Do ? Fehoko looks like a Gamer. Oh Yeah I'm ready for some football !!!!!!

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Cox, Joseph, Tolbert, Ball, Gallimore, and I think Smith makes Bohanna's role obsolete.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Cox, Joseph, Tolbert, Ball, Gallimore, and I think Smith makes Bohanna's role obsolete.
I'm surprised that Cox/Joseph/Tolbert is related at all to Bohanna. You're saying that they take his roster spot? I'm saying that Bohanna might backup Mazi Smith, with Hankins at the other DT spot. Think of that on goal line or short distance 1st downs... Bohanna, Hankins, Smith...

As some were saying, its the end of converting the QB sneak on 4th and 1!

ghst187

Reaction score
Josh Ball, Gallimore, Bohana are all on the bubble right now imo.
No way we can keep Bohanna…that’s 3x strictly 1Ts on the roster
Have to think Gallimore is gone also.
Also see Semi gone.
Not sure we have a single starter from this draft. They all look to be rotational guys that will have to fight for snaps. But there better be at least one or two starting year after.

conner01

Reaction score
I have always thought it is nutz to waste a roster spot on a deep snapper. There has to be someone on the team that in addition to their normal position could learn to deep snap as well. Center seems like an obvious choice.
Very few centers also deep snap
I’ve always thought any kid in college that’s kind of a late round pick type guy should be learning that skill. You don’t need to be 300 lbs
Most LB who are at the bottom of a depth chart could greatly increase their chances of making a roster if they mastered the skill
But it is really hard. Snaps have to be accurate and quick and I guess that’s hard to learn to do and be really consistent

Havic

Reaction score
No way we can keep Bohanna…that’s 3x strictly 1Ts on the roster
Have to think Gallimore is gone also.
Also see Semi gone.
Not sure we have a single starter from this draft. They all look to be rotational guys that will have to fight for snaps. But there better be at least one or two starting year after.
I think schoon and mazi are definitely starters and contributors right away. I think Vaughn also contributes and the 4th round de could be a nice find. We will find out soon

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Cox/Joseph/Tolbert is related at all to Bohanna. You're saying that they take his roster spot? I'm saying that Bohanna might backup Mazi Smith, with Hankins at the other DT spot. Think of that on goal line or short distance 1st downs... Bohanna, Hankins, Smith...

As some were saying, its the end of converting the QB sneak on 4th and 1!
I'm saying all of those guys are on the bubble and need to show up for camp. Smith and Hankins are both 1T run stoppers, or at least for now in Smith's case. When was the last time we carried 3 1T's on the active roster? I'm sure they will line up together depending on down and distance, but having both on the field regularly sacrifices a good bit in pass rush.

Maybe they can sneak Bo onto the PS, or he takes several steps forward in the offseason. Based on what we've seen the last couple of seasons, I'm not sure we can justify keeping him on board with Mazi and Hankins in the roster.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think schoon and mazi are definitely starters and contributors right away. I think Vaughn also contributes and the 4th round de could be a nice find. We will find out soon
I can’t see Mazi starting over Hankins or Schoon over Fergy. I’m sure they will get rotation snaps but I think best hope is they work their way into starting by end of year. I really hope Mazi is a lot better than I thought the pick was. I liked Fehoko although not sure if they play him at DE or a hybrid De/DT like Gholston. He doesn’t look overly athletic but seems to be a bit relentless, active, and good awareness. Again though, looks like a rotational guy who may struggle to get snaps. I loved the Vaughn pick but do we have to coaching imagination to use him? We will see…

nathanlt

Reaction score
Lupke is a 70’s FB
He avg 6.1 yards per carry and 13 ypc
He can run, catch and is a solid pass protector
I don’t think there is much love in the nfl for 1970’s FB
Well, I guess Daryl Johnston was also a 70's FB.... That would be fine with me, to see a shadow of what Daryl Johnston was.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
We will be injury riddled by cut down day and IR will be splitting at the seams lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think that some of the roster spots are more likely for draft picks to make it, and I'd say that 46 of the spots would be a major surprise if the following weren't on the roster. This is the 53 man roster, and I'd hope that we'd agree that all these 46 will make the team. (I've included Hunter Leupke as a free agent, simply for pass protection reasons, the rest aren't great at it.)

So, given these virtual locks... who fights for the remaining roster spots?
CB DaRon Bland
CB Trevon Diggs
CB Stephon Gilmore
CB Jourdan Lewis
CB Eric Scott Jr.
DB - S Markquese Bell
DB - S Jayron Kearse
DB - S Israel Mukuamu
DB - S Donovan Wilson
DE Dorance Armstrong
DE Viliami Fehoko Jr.
DE DeMarcus Lawrence
DE Sam Williams
DT Quinton Bohanna
DT Johnathan Hankins
DT Mazi Smith
K tbd
LB Damone Clark
LB Jabril Cox
LB DeMarvion Overshown
LB Micah Parsons
LB Leighton Vander Esch
LS Trent Sieg
OC Tyler Biadasz
OG Chuma Edoga
OG Matt Farniok
OG Zack Martin
OL Asim Richards
OL Tyler Smith
OT Tyron Smith
OT Terence Steele
P Bryan Anger
QB Dak Prescott
QB Cooper Rush
RB Malik Davis
RB Tony Pollard
RB Deuce Vaughn
RB Hunter Leupke
TE Jake Ferguson
TE Peyton Hendershot
TE Luke Schoonmaker
WR Brandin Cooks
WR Michael Gallup
WR Dennis Houston
WR CeeDee Lamb
WR KaVontae Turpin
Too early to say yet as the roster is not set.

Havic

Reaction score
I can’t see Mazi starting over Hankins or Schoon over Fergy. I’m sure they will get rotation snaps but I think best hope is they work their way into starting by end of year. I really hope Mazi is a lot better than I thought the pick was. I liked Fehoko although not sure if they play him at DE or a hybrid De/DT like Gholston. He doesn’t look overly athletic but seems to be a bit relentless, active, and good awareness. Again though, looks like a rotational guy who may struggle to get snaps. I loved the Vaughn pick but do we have to coaching imagination to use him? We will see…
maybe "starter" is not the right word since we sub a lot but they will be major contributors imo.

ghst187

Reaction score
maybe "starter" is not the right word since we sub a lot but they will be major contributors imo.
Think we wont know that much until end of the season.
Their performance Will have to dictate what we do about some contracts like Tank, Hankins, and a few others next off-season.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Mazi and Hankins should start. Osa needs to rotate in and play passing downs.

DanA

Reaction score
Starting Roles:
Defense:
LDE: D-Law 3T: Odigizuwa 1T: M.Smith RDE: Parsons
MIKE: Clarke WILL: LVE
LCB: Gilmore SS: Kearse S: Wilson RCB: Diggs
FS: Hooker

SCB: Bland
NB: Mukuamu
LB3: Overshown
I think the starting lineup is pretty set. Obviously, the defensive linemen will rotate quite a bit with plenty of Sam Williams, Armstrong, Fowler, Hankins, and Golston. I can perhaps see us moving Parsons around all over the place (more so than last season) and our default secondary probably rotates a fair bit with Bland and Mukuamu playing pretty regularly. If Lewis isn't cut/traded (cap reasons) he'll have some sort of role too. To me, there is no obvious weakness here, 3T could perhaps be a little stronger but Odigi and Golston are ascending players so there's upside from last season.

Offense:
RB:
Pollard
QB: Dak
WR1: Cooks TE: Ferguson-------------------------------------------------------------------------SWR: Lamb WR2: Gallup
RT: Steel RG: Martin OC: Biadasz LG: T.Smith LT:T.Smith

TE2: Schoonmaker
Web back: Deuce
WR4: Tolbert​

I think again the starting lineup is pretty set with the only real ambiguity over who is TE1 and then how the O-line sets up. I think we'll have a niche role for Deuce a bit like Boston Scott or Tarik Cohen and I think we will again use plenty of 2/3 TE sets. WR4 is also a bit of a crap shot but I'm hopeful Tolbert will improve and make that role his own. To me, there is no obvious weakness in the starting 11 lineup but obviously with Tyron Smith's injury history what happens in that situation is pretty important. Tyler Smith to LT seems likely so I think a backup at LG we are comfortable starting is crucial.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Lupke is a 70’s FB
He avg 6.1 yards per carry and 13 ypc
He can run, catch and is a solid pass protector
I don’t think there is much love in the nfl for 1970’s FB
Because it doesn't translate?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Looking at the positions I really think DQ is making moves to get more of a 3 down lineman with 4 roving banidts who will rush and drop coverage... seriously the 3 down rotation looks good and the bandits look like play wreckers all over with speed. This should be interesting to watch kinda a 3-4/nickle blend that can come at you from all angles. Im not sure you will find #11 at the same spot all the time next year..

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Looking at the positions I really think DQ is making moves to get more of a 3 down lineman with 4 roving banidts who will rush and drop coverage... seriously the 3 down rotation looks good and the bandits look like play wreckers all over with speed. This should be interesting to watch kinda a 3-4/nickle blend that can come at you from all angles. Im not sure you will find #11 at the same spot all the time next year..
That's easy to say but 11 personnel basically makes it impossible to do anything creative, because you have to account for gaps. On passing downs you can get weird, but there's little you can do otherwise.

Unless DQ decides to have multiple players 2-gap, and blitz a lot (which would be totally stupid).