Now who fights for a roster spot?

shabazz

Reaction score
Competition brings out the best product……to bad it never happens at the quarterback position here in Dallas

yeah, the DeNucci pick scared the hell out of the rest of the guys

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That's easy to say but 11 personnel basically makes it impossible to do anything creative, because you have to account for gaps. On passing downs you can get weird, but there's little you can do otherwise.

Unless DQ decides to have multiple players 2-gap, and blitz a lot (which would be totally stupid).
Its not diferent than when you play an actual 3-4... so think Fehoko/Armstrong de Mazi/Hankins/ Osa DT Tank de Sam williams, #11, LVE, clark, Overshown, cox LBs... Im not saying abondon front 7 gaps I'm saying your not gonna scheme me while knowing where to find #11 any more...Im also going to get him off the ball some so he gets free runs in not banging bodies with huge OT's all the time.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Its not diferent than when you play an actual 3-4... so think Fehoko/Armstrong de Mazi/Hankins/ Osa DT Tank de Sam williams, #11, LVE, clark, Overshown, cox LBs... Im not saying abondon front 7 gaps I'm saying your not gonna scheme me while knowing where to find #11 any more...Im also going to get him off the ball some so he gets free runs in not banging bodies with huge OT's all the time.
It is different because you don't have as many bodies to fill those gaps. The safety has to fill backside and Micah has to play the strongside c/d. 11 personnel works because it dictates what defenses can do.

You can't just throw Micah in the B-gap unless he's a blitzer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep, I agree. We have to trade some people.

I could see some getting dealt for players/picks. I think we could probably deal Gallimore for a 5 or 6. I could see Turpin getting dealt. Given that he received a Pro Bowl nomination, we could flip him for a 6. I think a few trades like this could be enough for us to flip an exchanged pick for a kicker.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It is different because you don't have as many bodies to fill those gaps. The safety has to fill backside and Micah has to play the strongside c/d. 11 personnel works because it dictates what defenses can do.

You can't just throw Micah in the B-gap unless he's a blitzer.
11 personnel works because of the personnel and who its against on the other side of the ball..just because i put a TE on the end of the line doesnt mean i just sealed that end..show me how well it worked with Schultz...I dont care if they are in 11 or 12 I wont Tank, Smith, Fehoko/armstrong pushing OL's and forcing doubles AND WOULD LOVE FOR THE "11 personnel" TE to be looking at #11 rushing the passer..or better yet swap Williams and #11 and have williams chuck the TE and pass him on to Kearse while #11 is 1 on 1 with the RB...if they run the ball then we still have 7 men in the box with gap asigments that fill them the same way 3 down gather OL's and the 4 playmaking LB's we now have get to the ball carrier. Now again I dont know thats what they are going to do but they have better players to do it with now then they did when DQ first got here.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
11 personnel works because of the personnel and who its against on the other side of the ball..just because i put a TE on the end of the line doesnt mean i just sealed that end..show me how well it worked with Schultz...I dont care if they are in 11 or 12 I wont Tank, Smith, Fehoko/armstrong pushing OL's and forcing doubles AND WOULD LOVE FOR THE "11 personnel" TE to be looking at #11 rushing the passer..or better yet swap Williams and #11 and have williams chuck the TE and pass him on to Kearse while #11 is 1 on 1 with the RB...if they run the ball then we still have 7 men in the box with gap asigments that fill them the same way 3 down gather OL's and the 4 playmaking LB's we now have get to the ball carrier. Now again I dont know thats what they are going to do but they have better players to do it with now then they did when DQ first got here.
Well whether your TE can block or not isn't the point lol.

The point is that it dictates gap assignments, so a DC can't really be creative.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well whether your TE can block or not isn't the point lol.

The point is that it dictates gap assignments, so a DC can't really be creative.
? sure they can again as a DC for sure i would know where Kittle is but based on what the run scheme will be I'm going to counter it with trying to overload gaps and force play in the backfield...if your getting beat to a man up front then all of this goes out the window anyway.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
? sure they can again as a DC for sure i would know where Kittle is but based on what the run scheme will be I'm going to counter it with trying to overload gaps and force play in the backfield...if your getting beat to a man up front then all of this goes out the window anyway.
No you can't. If you overload to one side or player, they're just going to audible away.

Modern offenses - run games specifically - are meant to just be called at the LOS depending on what the defense does. The second you break gap alignment pre-snap, an audible comes and you're DOA.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No you can't. If you overload to one side or player, they're just going to audible away.

Modern offenses - run games specifically - are meant to just be called at the LOS depending on what the defense does. The second you break gap alignment pre-snap, an audible comes and you're DOA.
Thats the beauty of it I dont have to align how I'm going to attack ... Like i said you wont know to look for #11 at RDE every play because im going to move him all around I mean do you think Defenses are not disguising what they are going to do every game?

Landryhat73

Reaction score
With a $4.5 million salary cap savings and coming off a brutal injury, Lewis isn’t a lock either.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Thats the beauty of it I dont have to align how I'm going to attack ... Like i said you wont know to look for #11 at RDE every play because im going to move him all around I mean do you think Defenses are not disguising what they are going to do every game?
11 personnel means you can't disguise in the front 7 unless it's blitz packages on obvious passing downs. Sure you can line 11 up at DE or LB or whatever, but his responsibility is determined by the offensive set. There is no flexibility to disguise that.

But generally speaking, no, defenses don't really disguise anything. They all just line up and try to win with 4-man rushes. The good ones do it and the bad ones don't, that's where the league is today. It's why passrushers are going to make $30m and every linebacker who gets drafted in the first round fails to get their 5th-year option picked up.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
11 personnel means you can't disguise in the front 7 unless it's blitz packages on obvious passing downs. Sure you can line 11 up at DE or LB or whatever, but his responsibility is determined by the offensive set. There is no flexibility to disguise that.

But generally speaking, no, defenses don't really disguise anything. They all just line up and try to win with 4-man rushes. The good ones do it and the bad ones don't, that's where the league is today. It's why passrushers are going to make $30m and every linebacker who gets drafted in the first round fails to get their 5th-year option picked up.
There are stunts, delay blitzes ,line slants,overload blitz, coverage is disguised...11 personnel does not auto lock a defense into anything..

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Fehoko and Tolbert will be lucky to be on this team in September.

Those 4-5 WR spots are wide open, and the competition is crazy.

This Durden guy could be a player, too.
The first rule of fight club is....

We do not talk about fight club

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There are stunts, delay blitzes ,line slants,overload blitz, coverage is disguised...11 personnel does not auto lock a defense into anything..
I said front-7...so yes they can disguise coverages.

The rest are really only used on passing downs because teams attack numbers advantages and un-defended space which gets exploited for easy yards.

Toro9

Reaction score
Lots of good players and guys with massive potential. Should be fun to see how it all shakes out.

I hope Deuce and Turpin both make the team. Luepke is my pet cat. But how many role players can you fit in one offense? Hmm...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not convinced those 46 are given roster spots.

I see at least a couple of names that better show up and make plays every day this summer or they will be goners.

I've love to see a couple of trades even if they only generated 4th-6th rounders. Cowboys seem to find players then.
Eric Scot and Leupke? Leupke is a practice squad guy.