Nuggets from Brugler's 2025 initial mock

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
. However, I would extend him at an AAV lower than the 5th year option
What if he refuses but you def wanna keep him and let Dak walk? The transitional tag may be your best route.......it at least give you a chance to match his best offer,

POSITIONFRANCHISE TAGTRANSITION TAG
QB $38,301,000 $34,367,000

WHAT IS A TRANSTION TAG? The transition tag is a one-year offer for the average of top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team. The tagging team is awarded no compensation if it chooses not to match a deal.Mar 10, 2024

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ive seen Lance play and I just dont see an NFL QB. And then he couldn't even beat out Darnold his third year. In the modern NFL, if a QB doesnt show he isnt a starting caliber guy in year 3, its probably never happening. Guys like Geno Smith are very few and far between.
You are probably right but it appears he lost his confidence with the 49ers. Sometimes holding the clipboard can make world of difference. It certainly helped Mahomes and NO, I am not comparing the two (lol).

https://www.nfl.com/news/niners-hc-...ce-s-qb3-demotion-doesn-t-mean-he-can-t-be-wi

Niners HC Kyle Shanahan on Trey Lance's QB3 demotion: Doesn't mean 'he can't be with us or someone else in the future'
Published: Aug 23, 2023 at 09:31 PM

Trey Lance was noticeably absent from practice Wednesday following news that Sam Darnold had won the San Francisco 49ers' second-string quarterback spot.
Head coach Kyle Shanahan said Wednesday night that it was his call to give Lance the day off, while adding he doesn't believe this is necessarily the end of the road for Lance in San Francisco -- or elsewhere.
"We had such a light practice today," Shanahan told KNBR’s Tolbert & Copes, "watching how Trey was when we talked, we thought it was better to, 'Hey, take the day off, clear your head some, we'll talk later in the afternoon and get you back in there tomorrow.'"
NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported earlier in the day that Darnold, signed this offseason, would go into the season as Brock Purdy's backup, pushing Lance, who the Niners memorably paid a small fortune to have the opportunity to draft, to the No. 3 spot.
Consequently, Lance's future in San Fran is murky at best, but Shanahan believes Lance -- who is still only 23 years old -- could find his way in the league.
"I also don't think Trey, this means that he can't be with us or someone else ever in the future," Shanahan said. "I mean this is just where camp went right now."

The 49ers picked Lance No. 3 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, acquiring the pick when they sent three first-round choices to the Miami Dolphins. Lance has started one more game in his two years than San Francisco gave up first-round picks for him.
Having been dealt a litany of injury problems, Lance has gone 2-2 as a starter over two seasons and eight total appearances. He suffered a broken finger in the 2021 preseason, later sprained his knee in his rookie campaign and last year broke and dislocated his ankle in Week 2. Following his ankle fracture, Lance ceded the starting reins to Jimmy Garoppolo, who was later injured, as well. Garoppolo's injury set the stage for Purdy's improbable emergence from being the last pick of the 2022 draft to the 49ers' starter.
Shanahan noted that he believes Lance's finger injury ahead of his rookie campaign was really a telling blow that set forth an unfortunate series of events.
"When he broke his finger it really kind of messed him up and took away his first year for him," Shanahan said.
Though the day centered on the 49ers' QB2 spot, Shanahan also made it clear that Purdy, who's coming back from offseason elbow surgery, has been the squad's unquestioned starter.
"It actually blows my mind that there's confusion because I feel like we've said that 100 percent consistent since Day 1," Shanahan said. "But there is confusion I guess so I'll keep saying it."
With Purdy as the undisputed QB1, the battle between Darnold and Lance was an arduous one by Shanahan's account, but Darnold, who was also a No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 draft by the New York Jets, ultimately prevailed.
"It was a very tough fight, but in the long run, Sam ended up winning it," said Shanahan, who noted over the past 10 days that Darnold had separated himself. "Once I knew that was the case, wanted to make sure I told Trey as fast as I could."

In a pair of preseason games, Darnold went 16-of-22 passing for 193 yards and a touchdown with 18 yards rushing and two sacks. Lance was 22 of 33 for 285 yards, two TDs, an interception and no rushing yards on five carries. But the eye test showed Lance struggle mightily.
What lies ahead in the immediate future will be both Darnold and Lance playing in the team's Week 3 preseason game Friday against the Los Angeles Chargers, Shanahan said.
After that is the question. Lance is due just $940,000 in base salary this season, but set to count $9.3 million against the salary cap and another $10.85 million against the cap next year.
There's no way the Niners will recoup what they gave up to draft Lance, but just what a Lance market commands is uncertain, though unlikely to be fruitful.
It was a tough Wednesday for Lance that has no doubt led to an unclear future.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You are probably right but it appears he lost his confidence with the 49ers. Sometimes holding the clipboard can make world of difference. It certainly helped Mahomes and NO, I am not comparing the two (lol).

https://www.nfl.com/news/niners-hc-...ce-s-qb3-demotion-doesn-t-mean-he-can-t-be-wi

Niners HC Kyle Shanahan on Trey Lance's QB3 demotion: Doesn't mean 'he can't be with us or someone else in the future'
Published: Aug 23, 2023 at 09:31 PM

Trey Lance was noticeably absent from practice Wednesday following news that Sam Darnold had won the San Francisco 49ers' second-string quarterback spot.
Head coach Kyle Shanahan said Wednesday night that it was his call to give Lance the day off, while adding he doesn't believe this is necessarily the end of the road for Lance in San Francisco -- or elsewhere.
"We had such a light practice today," Shanahan told KNBR’s Tolbert & Copes, "watching how Trey was when we talked, we thought it was better to, 'Hey, take the day off, clear your head some, we'll talk later in the afternoon and get you back in there tomorrow.'"
NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported earlier in the day that Darnold, signed this offseason, would go into the season as Brock Purdy's backup, pushing Lance, who the Niners memorably paid a small fortune to have the opportunity to draft, to the No. 3 spot.
Consequently, Lance's future in San Fran is murky at best, but Shanahan believes Lance -- who is still only 23 years old -- could find his way in the league.
"I also don't think Trey, this means that he can't be with us or someone else ever in the future," Shanahan said. "I mean this is just where camp went right now."

The 49ers picked Lance No. 3 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, acquiring the pick when they sent three first-round choices to the Miami Dolphins. Lance has started one more game in his two years than San Francisco gave up first-round picks for him.
Having been dealt a litany of injury problems, Lance has gone 2-2 as a starter over two seasons and eight total appearances. He suffered a broken finger in the 2021 preseason, later sprained his knee in his rookie campaign and last year broke and dislocated his ankle in Week 2. Following his ankle fracture, Lance ceded the starting reins to Jimmy Garoppolo, who was later injured, as well. Garoppolo's injury set the stage for Purdy's improbable emergence from being the last pick of the 2022 draft to the 49ers' starter.
Shanahan noted that he believes Lance's finger injury ahead of his rookie campaign was really a telling blow that set forth an unfortunate series of events.
"When he broke his finger it really kind of messed him up and took away his first year for him," Shanahan said.
Though the day centered on the 49ers' QB2 spot, Shanahan also made it clear that Purdy, who's coming back from offseason elbow surgery, has been the squad's unquestioned starter.
"It actually blows my mind that there's confusion because I feel like we've said that 100 percent consistent since Day 1," Shanahan said. "But there is confusion I guess so I'll keep saying it."
With Purdy as the undisputed QB1, the battle between Darnold and Lance was an arduous one by Shanahan's account, but Darnold, who was also a No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 draft by the New York Jets, ultimately prevailed.
"It was a very tough fight, but in the long run, Sam ended up winning it," said Shanahan, who noted over the past 10 days that Darnold had separated himself. "Once I knew that was the case, wanted to make sure I told Trey as fast as I could."

In a pair of preseason games, Darnold went 16-of-22 passing for 193 yards and a touchdown with 18 yards rushing and two sacks. Lance was 22 of 33 for 285 yards, two TDs, an interception and no rushing yards on five carries. But the eye test showed Lance struggle mightily.
What lies ahead in the immediate future will be both Darnold and Lance playing in the team's Week 3 preseason game Friday against the Los Angeles Chargers, Shanahan said.
After that is the question. Lance is due just $940,000 in base salary this season, but set to count $9.3 million against the salary cap and another $10.85 million against the cap next year.
There's no way the Niners will recoup what they gave up to draft Lance, but just what a Lance market commands is uncertain, though unlikely to be fruitful.
It was a tough Wednesday for Lance that has no doubt led to an unclear future.
Thats coach speak, and them trying to get some value out of Lance. Lance was throughly outplayed by a guy that was bust himself. And with a coach that got to the NFCCG with Jimmy Garopolo. If Lance "lost his confidence with the 49ers" it gives me less confidence in Lance. Not more

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
WE NEED DT'S!! I would like to see the front office start using serious draft resources with our interior Defensive Line. Our OL is now stacked with young talent, they need to do the same with the other side of the football, especially at DT.
Let me introduce you to Deone Walker from Kentucky. 6 foot 6 and 348 lbs, only 20 years old. Some of the most powerful and violent hands I have ever seen. Needs to work on his leverage. Can play too high sometimes which happens with taller D Linemen.

https://ukathletics.com/sports/football/roster/player/deone-walker/

11481791.png

Cowboyny

Reaction score

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
How many Longhorns did I say were sure fire 1st rounders?
Does Lil'Jordan Humphrey count twice?

Man, the Chiefs are running out giants at WR. They got 6'-1" Rashee Rice, 6'-4" Justyn Ross, and just added 6'-1" Xavier Worthy.

:lmao:

Hardline

Reaction score
Does Lil'Jordan Humphrey count twice?

Man, the Chiefs are running out giants at WR. They got 6'-1" Rashee Rice, 6'-4" Justyn Ross, and just added 6'-1" Xavier Worthy.

:lmao:
You dodged the question. I can produce links that said Worthy was 6'1.
You cannot produce proof that I said Humphrey was a sure fire 1st rounder nor 9 other Longhorn players.
The two I said were sure fire was Bijan Robinson and Murphy and they were.
There is treatment for Dunning-Krugar. Go seek it. :thumbup:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You dodged the question. I can produce links that said Worthy was 6'1.
You cannot produce proof that I said Humphrey was a sure fire 1st rounder nor 9 other Longhorn players.
The two I said were sure fire was Bijan Robinson and Murphy and they were.
There is treatment for Dunning-Krugar. Go seek it. :thumbup:
You’ve dodged the fact your links are unofficial measurements.

The Combine is the official measurement.

30 different people corrected you on that thread. What did you do in response? You ignored it and went into hiding.

:lmao2:

stinkface

Reaction score
Ive seen Lance play and I just dont see an NFL QB. And then he couldn't even beat out Darnold his third year. In the modern NFL, if a QB doesnt show he isnt a starting caliber guy in year 3, its probably never happening. Guys like Geno Smith are very few and far between.
Darnolds problem is between his ears. He has a lot more arm talent then Lance. I could see if his mind was right he would beat Lance. Darnolds got a big arm and size. He now also has a real coach coaching him.

Hardline

Reaction score
You’ve dodged the fact your links are unofficial measurements.

The Combine is the official measurement.

30 different people corrected you on that thread. What did you do in response? You ignored it and went into hiding.

:lmao2:
What was the time period that I went into hiding? I accepted the official combine measurements. You haven't accepted that you crapped the bed on your assertion that I claimed there were 10 surefire Longhorn first rounders :)

You could easily tag me to the post me claiming that if it existed.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What was the time period that I went into hiding? I accepted the official combine measurements. You haven't accepted that you crapped the bed on your assertion that I claimed there were 10 surefire Longhorn first rounders :)

You could easily tag me to the post me claiming that if it existed.
Right, you’ve “accepted.”

Yet you keep referencing the links you have with bunk information and acting like it’s alternative facts.

Wear that L boy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well they didn’t send coaches / scouts to the pro day just for the heck of it.
If you go to a restaurant for the first time it doesn't mean you like it.

Looks like coaches/scouts likely didn't come back with a favorable review.

The Cowboys are no different than any other team. They sent coaches/scouts to evaluation many players all over the country.

Proof

Reaction score
To be honest, Lance is better right now than any 1st round-projected QB. The smart thing would be to do everything possible to hold on to him, especially since he has been in your system for almost two years. They just declined his 5th year option so if it me, I would probably tag him.
his 5th yr option was something like 25 mil. franchise tag looks like it would be 38. that would be an all time boneheaded move. just going to have to roll the dice and hope you can keep him on a cheap deal.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
his 5th yr option was something like 25 mil. franchise tag looks like it would be 38. that would be an all time boneheaded move. just going to have to roll the dice and hope you can keep him on a cheap deal.
Pretty sure the key to him signing anywhere will be a chance to start. IF we move one from Dak, I'm 100% confident we can sign him to a low-level deal as our starter.