Objectively, how does Jerry compare with the average NFL owner?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
As we all know, Dallas, Washington and Detroit are the only NFC teams to have never made it to the conference title game since 1996. So we don't need to rehash that thing for the 1000th time.

That being said, it's worth it to discuss Jerry overall compared to the 31 other owners. Sure, we want wins rather than money, but there's no denying Jerry has done a fantastic business job growing the Cowboys to the world's most valuable sports team, having the highest ratings and having America's biggest NFL fan base despite Dallas' terrible playoff record since 26 years ago. If he could do all that despite sucking in wins, imagine how utterly dominant the Cowboys would be if they actually were making deep playoff runs regularly?

And also, under Jerry, we've had some fine drafts, even post-Jimmy. We got Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Ware, Dez, Frederick, Witten, Romo, Dak, etc. It's not A+ drafting, but it's certainly not a C-.

So, objectively, grading Jerry in comparison to the other 31, is Jerry in the 50th percentile of owners? 80th? 20th?

Rayman70

Reaction score
As we all know, Dallas, Washington and Detroit are the only NFC teams to have never made it to the conference title game since 1996. So we don't need to rehash that thing for the 1000th time.

That being said, it's worth it to discuss Jerry overall compared to the 31 other owners. Sure, we want wins rather than money, but there's no denying Jerry has done a fantastic business job growing the Cowboys to the world's most valuable sports team, having the highest ratings and having America's biggest NFL fan base despite Dallas' terrible playoff record since 26 years ago. If he could do all that despite sucking in wins, imagine how utterly dominant the Cowboys would be if they actually were making deep playoff runs regularly?

And also, under Jerry, we've had some fine drafts, even post-Jimmy. We got Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Ware, Dez, Frederick, Witten, Romo, Dak, etc. It's not A+ drafting, but it's certainly not a C-.

So, objectively, grading Jerry in comparison to the other 31, is Jerry in the 50th percentile of owners? 80th? 20th?
I dunno. But in the game of life and being a honest man of high character, he fails massively and is a bad human. The man was willing to lie on national TV about putting Jimmy in the ring. That speaks to his lack of morals and character. This girl and her momma fiasco should shock no one, based on what we know about him.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
As a fan, I couldn't care less how much money Jerry makes or what his status is in American sports.

The Cowboys haven't won squat since I was in kindergarten and my fondest memories of the franchise in my lifetime were beating the Eagles and Seahawks in the Wild Card Round.

I think Jerry ranks at the top of NFL owners, but close to dead last when you're looking at NFL GM's.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Jerry is a top owner. He might even be the best. It’s certainly arguable.

If you want to judge him on the lack of playoff success then go after Jerry the president or Jerry the GM or both. That Jerry is not good at hiring coaches and staying out of the way.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Jimmy said everyone likes Jerry. He likes to have fun, women and football. He has his flaws like we all do. Could we do better with. Amen Corner guy, possibly. Love that line. Might not be as entertaining.

fredp22

Reaction score
Cowboys are big in spite of, not because of Jerry. Murchison/Schramm/Landry made the Cowboys the number 1 franchise it still is. They were #1 before Jerry bought them
Jerry may be the worst owner in all sports-not just football. For the people on here saying he is good-what has he done??

bewp7

Reaction score
one of the worst maybe the worst

i do not care how good he is at business or marketing or how much money the cowboys make

owner / gm is STUPID and if he change his way after almost 30 years of nothing i would say different but he will not change if any thing he is getting worse so i think he is the worst i would have said mike brown was the only one worse because he is also owner + gm and have less suces but his team got a franchise qb and went to the super bowl so i think jerry is worse

i also do not care about the super bowl rings jimmy johnson won for jerry

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Jerry is living every Cowboys fans dream. He is running America’s Team and is getting filthy rich off of it. To answer your question Jerry is a good owner. The team wins and they have won 3 Super Bowls since he took over. The problem is the Cowboys make him so much money that now it is a family business. Winning is not all that important anymore. All Jerrah needs to do is keep the Cowboys relevant.

visionary

Reaction score

Jerry’s constant interference and hogging the spotlight and focus on glitz and glamour leads to hiring of HCs who are followers not leaders and players getting everything before having done anything both of which lead to a culture of entitlement and comfort which is the exact antithesis to winning a championship

in a nutshell, the Cowboys have almost no chance of winning a SB with Jerry as the owner (and defacto GM) so as a fan, he is the absolute worst owner in all sports because my team had no shot with him

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s like applauding an abusive father and or unfaithful husband because he’s a good provider. Lol

Mwa8Pps.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the business at hand was football . Which Jethro suks at.

Yea, he’s pimped the ride optimizing an iconic label which any fool could have done .

Without the early success with Jimmy his butt would have been kicked out of town.

No other fanbase would want our owner!!!!

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Cowboys are big in spite of, not because of Jerry. Murchison/Schramm/Landry made the Cowboys the number 1 franchise it still is. They were #1 before Jerry bought them
Jerry may be the worst owner in all sports-not just football. For the people on here saying he is good-what has he done??

Technically speaking, an owner's job is to make sure his/her company remains in existence, make sure his company turns a PROFIT, and make sure it remains relevant so it can continue to make a PROFIT!
No one is better than Jerry Jones in doing that.

While it is true that the Cowboys were America's Team before Jerry Jones, Jones revived the franchise. Whether you want to call it serendipity, blind stupidity or intentionality, he had the foresight to hire Jimmy Johnson and AGREED to the trade of Herschel Walker, which catapulted the Cowboys to three Super Bowl wins and restored their popularity and, honestly, expanded upon it.

The Cowboys today are living off the fumes of the 90s dynasty. I know people want to hate him in totality, but you MUST give him credit for the part he played in hiring Johnson and restoring the shine on America's Team.

Furthermore, Jerry Jones is a MARKETING GENIUS. Remember, he is the reason the NFL is the powerhouse it is as a league today, and his marketing prowess is the reason Jerry Jones is in the Hall of Fame.

Please read:

Jerry Jones risk allows Cowboys to become the leader in the growing women's sports apparel market

Jerry Jones helped revolutionize the modern NFL

Excerpt from the latter link:
No single individual, with the possible exception of the last two commissioners, has done more to create the current dominance of the NFL than Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday. His vision of what the NFL could achieve was ahead of its time, with television contracts, marketing, branding, memorabilia, franchise values, the NFL Network, harmonious relations with agents and the use of the internet. His energy, creativity and willingness to challenge tradition are partly responsible for the NFL's status as the nation's favorite sport and the Cowboys' status as the highest valued sports franchise in the world.

This isn't some rinky-dink sports tabloid writer or wannabe blogger saying this. This is FORBES - the premier business magazine in the United States!

Jerry's downfall is that he is too involved in day-to-day management of the football team, player personnel and contract negotiations. And because he is married to being both owner and GM (see his "socks and jocks" comment), he makes bad decisions. I've always said Troy Aikman - as much as I liked him - should have been gone in a trade long before his career was done. Anyone who paid attention could see the handwriting on the wall. Same for other players like Deion Sanders (who wouldn't have been signed if Jimmy Johnson had remained coach), Jason Witten and Tyron Smith. We seem to hold on to players too long - beyond their appropriate trade value because we always think we're a player away from the Super Bowl so we must keep everyone in tact.

Then we acquire players who just aren't good for our team, e.g., Terrell Owens, Greg Hardy, Pacman Jones, Roy Williams, etc., because with Jerry, it's about acquiring talent.

It's good that he wants to acquire talent (that's the good owner part), but he's terrible at understanding how talent fits into a team (that's why, IIRC, Jimmy Johnson never wanted Deion Sanders because Deion's influence ruined the team's work ethic. For an example of this, see Troy Aikman's comments on how other players acted based on Deion's attitude).

So, while I think we're going to suck for a while because Jerry refuses to relinquish his role as GM, there's no question that under Jerry Jones as owner, both the Cowboys and the league have prospered monetarily. And THAT is what an owner is supposed to do - make sure his company remains relevant and turns mega profit.

Since Jerry has entered the league, the cash registers for the Dallas Cowboys have never stopped Cha-chinging! ;)

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Jerry’s constant interference and hogging the spotlight and focus on glitz and glamour leads to hiring of HCs who are followers not leaders and players getting everything before having done anything both of which lead to a culture of entitlement and comfort which is the exact antithesis to winning a championship

in a nutshell, the Cowboys have almost no chance of winning a SB with Jerry as the owner (and defacto GM) so as a fan, he is the absolute worst owner in all sports because my team had no shot with him
Very well articulated