Objectively, how does Jerry compare with the average NFL owner?

CWR

Reaction score
I used to rank him higher. Despite his short comings he had appeared to be learning from mistakes and building the team from the inside out. There was a vision. That vision has been lost. I see no clear identity, and he appears to have made a bunch of moves for no reason. Not sure why we'd restructure Dak if we weren't going to use the money. He's either not all in, or he's gotten so beyond frustrated he's using this year to build in hopes of making significant changes next year. The latter would require foresight, something he has lacked for a long time.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we all know, Dallas, Washington and Detroit are the only NFC teams to have never made it to the conference title game since 1996. So we don't need to rehash that thing for the 1000th time.

That being said, it's worth it to discuss Jerry overall compared to the 31 other owners. Sure, we want wins rather than money, but there's no denying Jerry has done a fantastic business job growing the Cowboys to the world's most valuable sports team, having the highest ratings and having America's biggest NFL fan base despite Dallas' terrible playoff record since 26 years ago. If he could do all that despite sucking in wins, imagine how utterly dominant the Cowboys would be if they actually were making deep playoff runs regularly?

And also, under Jerry, we've had some fine drafts, even post-Jimmy. We got Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Ware, Dez, Frederick, Witten, Romo, Dak, etc. It's not A+ drafting, but it's certainly not a C-.

So, objectively, grading Jerry in comparison to the other 31, is Jerry in the 50th percentile of owners? 80th? 20th?
top-of-the-list-frank-sinatra.gif

As even after 26 years of failure we still find ourselves wasting our time with this hillbilly egomaniac!!!!

fredp22

Reaction score
Technically speaking, an owner's job is to make sure his/her company remains in existence, make sure his company turns a PROFIT, and make sure it remains relevant so it can continue to make a PROFIT!
No one is better than Jerry Jones in doing that.

While it is true that the Cowboys were America's Team before Jerry Jones, Jones revived the franchise. Whether you want to call it serendipity, blind stupidity or intentionality, he had the foresight to hire Jimmy Johnson and AGREED to the trade of Herschel Walker, which catapulted the Cowboys to three Super Bowl wins and restored their popularity and, honestly, expanded upon it.

The Cowboys today are living off the fumes of the 90s dynasty. I know people want to hate him in totality, but you MUST give him credit for the part he played in hiring Johnson and restoring the shine on America's Team.

Furthermore, Jerry Jones is a MARKETING GENIUS. Remember, he is the reason the NFL is the powerhouse it is as a league today, and his marketing prowess is the reason Jerry Jones is in the Hall of Fame.

Please read:

Jerry Jones risk allows Cowboys to become the leader in the growing women's sports apparel market

Jerry Jones helped revolutionize the modern NFL

t.

every team in the NFL makes a profit. I could care less about your articles on the Cowboys being leader in womans apparel and Jerry revolutionizing the NFL (and thats the writers opinion).
I could also care less about his marketing although the Cowboys led NFL in marketing before Jerry bought the team.
stop giving general statements-give me a specific
I care about winning not how much profit they make. Go tell the Rams they won but your team markets better and see the look you get. Jerry is the worst owner in the game

tyke1doe

Reaction score
every team in the NFL makes a profit. I could care less about your articles on the Cowboys being leader in womans apparel and Jerry revolutionizing the NFL (and thats the writers opinion).
But every team doesn't make as much money as the Dallas Cowboys do, just as every computer company doesn't make as much money as Apple. ;)
Second, the writer works for Forbes magazine. That's like saying you couldn't care less about Roger Goodell's opinion on matters of the NFL.
The issue is credibility. And those in the know have more credibility than those who aren't. :)

I could also care less about his marketing although the Cowboys led NFL in marketing before Jerry bought the team.
stop giving general statements-give me a specific
Now this is interesting. You dismiss my proof then ask for specifics.
Read the article. It gives SPECIFICS!

I care about winning not how much profit they make. Go tell the Rams they won but your team markets better and see the look you get. Jerry is the worst owner in the game

No, ownership is about ...

1. Making sure the business you own maintains relevance (with its primary customers) and
2. Making sure the business you own makes a PROFIT!

Winning is what maintains RELEVANCY! But if you can achieve relevancy sans winning, you're still doing your job as an owner.
Maybe not as a fan, but if you remain relevant, there's a possibility that you will ultimately win, seeing how not everyone can be on top every year.
But if you're in existence and if you're relevant, then you always have a chance. :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And for the record the NFL is only professional league where every teams makes money. Nobody is the red.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ask any opposing fan if they’d want our owner. There’s how he measures up.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
20th percentile. There are worse. Jerry wants to win as long as he gets the credit and he’ll put in work in that context. Other owners don’t care at all about winning. It’s strictly about tickets and merchandise. Stephen Jones falls in this category.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
As we all know, Dallas, Washington and Detroit are the only NFC teams to have never made it to the conference title game since 1996. So we don't need to rehash that thing for the 1000th time.

That being said, it's worth it to discuss Jerry overall compared to the 31 other owners. Sure, we want wins rather than money, but there's no denying Jerry has done a fantastic business job growing the Cowboys to the world's most valuable sports team, having the highest ratings and having America's biggest NFL fan base despite Dallas' terrible playoff record since 26 years ago. If he could do all that despite sucking in wins, imagine how utterly dominant the Cowboys would be if they actually were making deep playoff runs regularly?

And also, under Jerry, we've had some fine drafts, even post-Jimmy. We got Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Ware, Dez, Frederick, Witten, Romo, Dak, etc. It's not A+ drafting, but it's certainly not a C-.

So, objectively, grading Jerry in comparison to the other 31, is Jerry in the 50th percentile of owners? 80th? 20th?
Can live with Jerry the owner.
It's Jerry the GM I have issues with.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Owner he’s probably the best. GM tho… guy couldn’t win a championship in the arena league

fredp22

Reaction score
But every team doesn't make as much money as the Dallas Cowboys do, just as every computer company doesn't make as much money as Apple. ;)
Second, the writer works for Forbes magazine. That's like saying you couldn't care less about Roger Goodell's opinion on matters of the NFL.
The issue is credibility. And those in the know have more credibility than those who aren't. :)

Now this is interesting. You dismiss my proof then ask for specifics.
Read the article. It gives SPECIFICS!

No, ownership is about ...

1. Making sure the business you own maintains relevance (with its primary customers) and
2. Making sure the business you own makes a PROFIT!

Winning is what maintains RELEVANCY! But if you can achieve relevancy sans winning, you're still doing your job as an owner.
Maybe not as a fan, but if you remain relevant, there's a possibility that you will ultimately win, seeing how not everyone can be on top every year.
But if you're in existence and if you're relevant, then you always have a chance. :)
to preface this lets continue but I have nothing against you-just a friendly argument

1- if Jerry had bought the Browns or Jax or any other team they wouldnt be the marketing dynamo that Cowboys are and probably not much better than they are now. Cowboys were leading the league in marketing when Jerry bought them. He just took advantage of it. Dont really see the genius in this . Just a business move.

2- when I say specific give me (without googling it) something Jerry has done that genius. He did raise ticket prices this week 20%. Is this another genius move since it gives him more profit or just greed.

3- I get your profit point but Jerry has to control everything with the team and thats the problem. He shouldn't also be on the coaching side. Murchinson left that to Schramm/Landry. Jerry cant. His ego has to get credit for everything. He tried the same thing with the whole NFL. He tried to control the other teams leading to the letter signed by ALL 31 other owners to him telling him to get lost or they will try to get him kicked from the NFL.

again I really could care less about the profit/marketing side. All I care about is winning. Jerry keeps on getting in the way because the team can only win if Jerry gets 100% of the credit for it. If he was less involved and didnt build Jerryworld but we played in the Cotton Bowl and were world champions 3 times in last decade I'd be happier than now

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This depends on your definition of owner.

If you want to compartmentalize and assess based on business metrics he is possibly at the top.

If you define ownership as encompassing not only business metrics, football operations metrics, field performance metrics, community building, moral integrity, public behaviour and such, then he would be somewhat downgraded.

I would not consider Jerry the worst owner in terms of all the Cowboys owners. But I do not define the Cowboys by their owners. For me I look at Tom Landry as my definition of the Cowboys.

Jerry is no Tom Landry.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Jerry is a entertainer like his daddy. First color tv in Arkansas and milked it. He just forgot to pull the ruby lith off.

Big_D

Reaction score
What's the parameters for drafting well if they don't win? Pro bowls? Individual stats? His "team" can't win playoff games. That's a problem and a big fat F. I would give him credit if he wasn't a bumbling buffoon on a regular basis. Listening to him even talk football is just as ridiculous and mind numbing as the decisions he makes. This is the NFL. Every team has good players. How you build the rest of the roster is the huge problem here cause this guy is incapable of it.

cowboybish

Reaction score

In all honesty... he is one of the worst simply because he thinks he is a GM and that is what has cost us multiple NFC East championships and certainly at the very least probably 3 more SB's. One the first year of Switzer and certainly at least one during the Parcell years if he had stayed on longer. The Romo years maybe another.