CFZ OC Candidates: Thomas Brown vs Jeff Nixon

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Does it matter the OC will just be a name and have no power

Only way it will matter will be what McCarthy thinks the new coordinator will be able to bring to the table in terms of recent schemes and trends in the league if it’s a younger guy so McCarthy can cherry pick some stuff to use as a playcaller

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I didn’t. I said “ The offense will be elements of what he used to run, what we’ve run with kellen and sprinkled in with the new gameplan with the new coach.”

"I didn't say the new OC would have input into the new offense, I just said elements of the new offense would consist of McCarthy, Moore and the new OC. Something I completely made up and hoped you'd buy. "

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
"I didn't say the new OC would have input into the new offense, I just said elements of the new offense would consist of McCarthy, Moore and the new OC. Something I completely made up and hoped you'd buy. "

The quote is right there what I said originally. I know you’re on a quest for a million posts before death ( and on pace) but maybe sometimes less is more. McCarthy will call plays. He’s a play caller. He’ll be calling plays that uses elements from his west coast offense, elements of what kellen did well and worked us for the last 2 years (again why jerry said “now’s the time to build on it”) and new wrinkles the oc will provide.

McCarthy will call plays based on how the game is going and how he sees fit. The west coast offense with new twists hence again why jerry said McCarthy “will tell you it’s evolved”. McCarthy will have ultimate say on play calls but what I said stands and was corroborated by your link. Thank you

You’re wrong. It’s ok falling star. Take your L. I will say you are really good at posting tweets first tho

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The quote is right there what I said originally. I know you’re on a quest for a million posts before death ( and on pace) but maybe sometimes less is more. McCarthy will call plays. He’s a play caller. He’ll be calling plays that uses elements from his west coast offense, elements of what kellen did well and worked us for the last 2 years (again why jerry said “now’s the time to build on it”) and new wrinkles the oc will provide.

McCarthy will call plays based on how the game is going and how he sees fit. The west coast offense with new twists hence again why jerry said McCarthy “will tell you it’s evolved”.

You’re wrong. It’s ok falling star. Take your L. I will say you are really good at posting tweets first tho

Yeah your quote is right there. The one you made up in your head.

The new offense will be McCarthy's not the weak OC.

I mean that was obvious before Jerry told you.

In the future when you want to make up things and create this alternate reality more suitable for fan boys, try it on someone else.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. Ok.

I agree. Because when I'm looking for someone to replace the OC of the 2nd best offense in the league the last 4 years, at the very top of my list is a 36 year old TE Coach.

You can pretend. I won't.
I agree Kellen Moore was an effective OC most of the time. Here’s where I disagree about what has been said about Brown and Nixon- these are not chumps for an interview. Both these guys have way more experience than Kellen Moore when he started as our OC in 2019.

I don’t know that much about either of these guys but their resumes are stronger than Kellen Moore’s was 4 years ago.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The two apparent leading candidates to become the next OC for the Cowboys are the Rams TE coach Thomas Brown and Carolina’s former assistant Head Coach Jeff Nixon.

Here are some comparisons between the two:
THOMAS BROWN
  • Current position- TE Coach/Assistant Head Coach for the Rams.
  • Former OC at Univ. Of Miami in Florida.
  • Played college football at Univ of Georgia as a RB
  • Played 3 years in the NFL for Atl and Cleveland 2008-10.
I like the fact that Brown is young and has been on Sean McVay’s staff and has studied that offense- one of the most modern and innovative offenses in the league. Their passing game is the kind of upgrade we need with our passing game and route trees.

JEFF NIXON
  • Most Recent Position: Assistant HC for Carolina 2020-22
  • Has been a WR/RB coach for the eagles, a RB coach for the dolphins and a TE coach for the niners.
  • Former Co-OC at Baylor under Matt Rhule
  • Played college football at Penn State and West Virginia. Did not play in the NFL.
Nixon has had more experience as a coach. I’m not as familiar with the offensive philosophies he has been aligned with. He’s coached under NFL HCs Tony Sparano, Todd Bowles, Jim Harbaugh and Matt Rhule.

Both of these coaches have excellent backgrounds. It will be interesting to see if the Cowboys have anyone else on the radar.

I also like that Nixon has also coached under Reid on the same staff as Doug Pederson.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the new offense will be elements of McCarthys packer system heavily influenced by Walsh’s west coast, have things that worked the last 2 years which we can build off of (confirmed by the teams owner) and then whatever elements or new wrinkles the oc can implement that Mike likes.

Then on Sunday Mike will call the plays…..lol. That’s exactly what I said the first, the 2nd time and now the 3rd time. Your story said the same exact thing. I literally posted that before you provided the link.

Speaking of alternate reality’s do you have room in the one that your in where creating 500 nonsensical posts a day gets you laid and is cool?

Right. You're still trying to inject input from the weak OC that will be hired and hoping I go with it.

The problem is the Owner has already told you that isnt true and if you watched his interview today he isnt even sure an OC will be hired. That's how important this coach is to the scheme this year.

Your problem is you tried to lie to the wrong person.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree Kellen Moore was an effective OC most of the time. Here’s where I disagree about what has been said about Brown and Nixon- these are not chumps for an interview. Both these guys have way more experience than Kellen Moore when he started as our OC in 2019.

I don’t know that much about either of these guys but their resumes are stronger than Kellen Moore’s was 4 years ago.
LOL. We're not replacing the Kellen Moore from 4 years ago. We're replacing the Kellen Moore of 2023. The guy who just oversaw an offense 2nd only to the Chiefs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. We're not replacing the Kellen Moore from 4 years ago. We're replacing the Kellen Moore of 2023. The guy who just oversaw an offense 2nd only to the Chiefs.
Yeah, I hear you. I respect what Kellen Moore did here. Although we didn’t get that second best NFL offense vs the niners the last two years in the playoffs. But you’re right that his offense produced in the regular season.

I was just making the point that Brown and Nixon are not just placeholders for an interview. They have some good experience.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I don't know what's crazy about it. The Owner is on record that the offense will be McCarthy's west coast scheme next year. His Green Bay offense and McCarthy will call the plays. So any OC hire will be in name only since they won't be able to run or call their own offense.

That and the Rooney Rule would explain these two candidates being so weak.
Don't you think this is a good thing?

Maybe we finally have a coach with a little power instead of a puppet. I for one am happy Mike finally gets a chance at doing it his way. I liked Moore, but it was time for a change. I believe Moore with be a head coach sooner than most think.

Finally let a head coach either succeeds or falls on the sword his way, not Jerry's.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The o coordinator will obviously at some level be important to Mike otherwise why would he want schottenheimer and mcadoo in those roles potentially as rumored? Because he trusts them and knows he can listen to their input and be on same page as them and trust them to help with game planning.

At the end of the day McCarty is going to call plays. The offense will be in his hands on Sunday he’s the head coach he’ll have final say but he’ll have open communication and collaboration with any o coordinator we hire. That’s how football works. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn’t understand the hierarchy or organizational dynamics of pro sports.

The blueprint for Mike is a west coast style offense. It will be here also but it’s been years since he’s ran it so obviously it’s going to be tweaked in some regards. It will include influences from what worked in Dallas with KM and whatever new wrinkles the new coordinator and Mike implement. It’s just silly to think it’ll be the same as it ever was…..the owner has said as much - “build off it” meaning build off of what we’ve done the last 2 years.

The difference is the scheme is a west coast style heavy.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to interview ethnic-minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs. It is an example of affirmative action, even though before 2022 there was no hiring quota or hiring preference given to minorities, only an interviewing quota.[1][2][3] The first actual hiring quota was established before the 2022 season, mandating that at least one member of each team's offensive coaching staff must be either an ethnic minority or a woman.[4] The Rooney Rule was established in 2003, and variations of the rule are now in place in other industries.[5][6]

Not wrong.