Twitter: Odds for Dak's 2021 week one team

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The list is pretty big because it is literally just guessing. No way to know what will happen between now and then. The Vikings actually got pretty good QB play in 2017, but still decided to go with Cousins. A team that may not make any sense now, could be a player by the end of the season.
And of course we have to see what Dak actually does because there’s definitely going to be some regression for him statistically.

For example ....Colts ( Rivers on a one-year deal ) and Saints ( maybe Brees last year, he's already signed a network deal)

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
1. 5 years vs 4 years. Now fast-forward to next offseason in 2021. We are at the same place. Dak will want a 3 year deal and Cowboys will want 5.

2. If Dak performs well this season, his numbers go way up. He will once again be asking for an amount the Cowboys arent willing to pay

3. Read his brother’s tweet

4. If Dak underperforms this season, the Cowboys DEFINITELY wont be willing to pay what he wants

5. The Cowboys cant afford Dak on the tag in 2021 without restructuring multiple contracts
I don't think Dak will be on the team after this year, history shows that franchise tagged QBs have never signed a long term deal with that team.

That being said if we draft a QB next year I like Tanner Morgan Minnesota

fivetwos

Reaction score
1. 5 years vs 4 years. Now fast-forward to next offseason in 2021. We are at the same place. Dak will want a 3 year deal and Cowboys will want 5.

2. If Dak performs well this season, his numbers go way up. He will once again be asking for an amount the Cowboys arent willing to pay

3. Read his brother’s tweet

4. If Dak underperforms this season, the Cowboys DEFINITELY wont be willing to pay what he wants

5. The Cowboys cant afford Dak on the tag in 2021 without restructuring multiple contracts
4. In that case, why would anyone else? And if he has to settle on a contract, why go elsewhere to a worse situation surrounding cast wise?

5. I'm not so sure about that. They will carry 31 this year and they are under the cap. Another 6m wont make them have to restructure several contracts, when the proposal averaged 35 or so. Cut Crawford and push the 8m to next year. Problem solved. If they dont have a clearly better alternative in place, which is unlikely, he will play on the 2nd tag.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
4. In that case, why would anyone else? And if he has to settle on a contract, why go elsewhere to a worse situation surrounding cast wise?

5. I'm not so sure about that. They will carry 31 this year and they are under the cap. Another 6m wont make them have to restructure several contracts, when the proposal averaged 35 or so. Cut Crawford and push the 8m to next year. Problem solved. If they dont have a clearly better alternative in place, which is unlikely, he will play on the 2nd tag.

You arent factoring paying outside free agents to replace the UFAs that wont be retained. Plus, the salary cap will most likely stay the same.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ise-tag-deadline-2021-impact-salary-cap-room/

fivetwos

Reaction score
You arent factoring paying outside free agents to replace the UFAs that wont be retained. Plus, the salary cap will most likely stay the same.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ise-tag-deadline-2021-impact-salary-cap-room/
No problem.

No one is a UFA that needs to be retained anyway.

Either way I'm sure the team would rather move some money around than go with a lesser option at QB.

It really depends how he plays this year.

The headline on that link is very misleading.

When was the last time a team let their QB walk away so they didn't have to worry about restructuring?

Dalton may be an ok backup, but he isnt the answer.

Fine if you dont like Prescott, I'm not his biggest supporter either, but you cant say Dalton is better. No way. His awful playoff numbers speak for themselves.

Just because you want something to be the case doesnt make it so.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
No problem.

No one is a UFA that needs to be retained anyway.

Either way I'm sure the team would rather move some money around than go with a lesser option at QB.

It really depends how he plays this year.

The headline on that link is very misleading.

When was the last time a team let their QB walk away so they didn't have to worry about restructuring?

Dalton may be an ok backup, but he isnt the answer.

Fine if you dont like Prescott, I'm not his biggest supporter either, but you cant say Dalton is better. No way. His awful playoff numbers speak for themselves.

Just because you want something to be the case doesnt make it so.
I said Dalton and his significantly lower salary cap # >> Prescott

This fanbase HAS to stop panicking over the possibility that Dak wont be here. Is going 8-8 really that much desirable? 1 playoff trip in the last 3 seasons is hardly something to panic over.

You criticize Dalton and his playoff performances, but he at least helped get his team to the playoffs in each of his first four seasons in the tough AFCN with an arguably worse coach than Garrett.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I said Dalton and his significantly lower salary cap # >> Prescott

This fanbase HAS to stop panicking over the possibility that Dak wont be here. Is going 8-8 really that much desirable? 1 playoff trip in the last 3 seasons is hardly something to panic over.

You criticize Dalton and his playoff performances, but he at least helped get his team to the playoffs in each of his first four seasons in the tough AFCN with an arguably worse coach than Garrett.
He folds under pressure. Big time

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How bad would he have to be for Dallas to not keep him for another year at 37M?

Still failing to see why everyone figures he is done here.
Yeah this looks like a sucker bet. Is Dallas not a option to bet on? Year 3 tagging is one thing but if you tag him at 32 million I don't see why you wouldn't tag him at 37 unless you just can't afford him which shouldn't be the case.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah this looks like a sucker bet. Is Dallas not a option to bet on? Year 3 tagging is one thing but if you tag him at 32 million I don't see why you wouldn't tag him at 37 unless you just can't afford him which shouldn't be the case.
That's exactly right, and if one year from now it's the exact same situation, then all this where do we go from here talk you're hearing now should begin.

The third tag wont work.

Like Werder said before, I don't see how a short term deal is worse than this situation.

Theres plenty that dont like Prescott...I'm personally indifferent on him...but anyone saying Dalton is a better alternative needs to be careful of what they wish for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's exactly right, and if one year from now it's the exact same situation, then all this where do we go from here talk you're hearing now should begin.

The third tag wont work.

Like Werder said before, I don't see how a short term deal is worse than this situation.

Theres plenty that dont like Prescott...I'm personally indifferent on him...but anyone saying Dalton is a better alternative needs to be careful of what they wish for.
They'll say "he throws a pretty spiral".

John813

Reaction score
Outside of the franchise tag can we use any other tags? I’m not familiar with all the tag process stuff.

Transition tag. Pays him the average of the top 10 QBs/20% increase in salary. Get rights to match a deal. If they don't match they get zero compensation now or comp pick in 2022.

Basically, just franchise tag him is the only option

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How bad would he have to be for Dallas to not keep him for another year at 37M?

Still failing to see why everyone figures he is done here.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it before a second tag at least. He'd have to play pretty badly to not receive at least the tag for another year. Frankly, two years at 68 million guaranteed is a pretty good deal before hitting FA.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Dak is no dummy, he knows that his endorsements are his real cash cow, and that doesn't happen in most other locales (you can argue that it doesn't happen at his current level in any other locale without winning a SB). If the alternative becomes somewhere else for a little more money (which doesn't happen when tagged) he will stay in Dallas. I think Jerry is banking on that, but I also think Jerry has overplayed his hand a bit and at some point will have to grab his ankles.

zerofill

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when you are the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys, and your brother talks so negatively, because he wants a new car... Put the final nail in his coffin in Dallas.
Rejecting the last offer was idiotic, and he has shown greed is top priority. Because no matter what his agent does, Dak has to agree to it.

Whatever that crap was running around about how he was going to accept the offer but was too late, is a load of crap too. You are never late, when that type of money
is on the table.

I think he bet on himself, and lost... But, $31mil for playing a game, is nothing to sneeze at.

He was a 4th round pick, that basically started all his life by injuries to others.

His draft profile was spot on, and he was still taken by the biggest franchise in sports.

He should be glad he has what he has. But, for some reason it just isn't enough.

He believes he is better than he is... Which is fine, but reality sucks, we have all faced reality.

He is screwing himself out of millions after football as well.

agrKNTk.png