Off-season must focus on defense

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
Both draft and FA. In the draft we have to take best def player available. The offense is set. We must address this side of the ball. Need extreme help on DL, and possibly another corner.

Until we fix this elephant in the room we continue to go one and done.

Oh and also need to find another return guy. Lucky whitehead stinks

Zman5

Reaction score
It's not like they haven't been trying. As good as they've been at drafting OLinemen, they've been terrible at picking defensive players under JG's regime.

Our best defensive players past 7 years have been players from Parcells and Wade era (DWare, Lee, OScan).

Reaction score
Both draft and FA. In the draft we have to take best def player available. The offense is set. We must address this side of the ball. Need extreme help on DL, and possibly another corner.

Defense may be the focus, but the offense is not set.

TE and WR are needs.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

agreed yet a mock I saw on CBSsports.com had us going WR in the first round.

Gameover

Reaction score
I think they will. Any of you questioning the Elliot selection? Jaylon Smith is a big talent. Collins produced. #93 contributed. The only bust was the guy from the Eagles.

I think the first two selections will be defense to go along w at least one FA defensive signing.

Me hope: 2LB, 2DB, 1 veteran rusher

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I know. It's just....long overdue. Football is so much more fun when your defense is really good.

The defense isn't in shambles to be fair. There's solid players at every position besides safety probably. Just no real game changers that elevates the rest of the defense

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
This team will never change as long as a Jones has their hand in personnel.

I simply feel that they see "shiny toys" in offensive weapons, while paying little attention to defense and special teams.

Spending big bucks on big name FAs is a sure way to cap hell, and more of the last 20+ years.

I hope they draft best available with hopes of DE(s), DT, LB, RT and CB in the first three rounds.

I'd also be okay with signing one or two mid-low level FAs.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
At least this time we don't have to worry about a rapidly-closing window on our franchise QB.
I'd like to hope this statement remains true but things can change in an instant. Ask the Skins & RG3.

Western

Reaction score
Outside of Sean Lee & possibly David Irving, there are no defensive players who are consistent game-changers or play-makers.
Poor defensive coaching, poor player development, and poor player acquisitions via the draft/free agency.
Garrett does not know defense, & Marinelli is overrated.

Again, Jimmy was no offensive wiz when he first arrived in Dallas in 1989.
He hired David Shula, and then removed him 2 years later because of offensive incompetence and hired Norv Turner in 1991.

Garrett as the head coach needs to hold the defensive coaching staff accountable.
To reiterate, Garrett must put on his 'big boy pants' and either explore better hires on the defensive coaching staff or phase out Marinelli.
On top of it all, Garrett needs Jerry's authorization for coaching hires/fires -- so it might be lost cause from the outset.

robjay04

Reaction score
Defense may be the focus, but the offense is not set.

TE and WR are needs.

Witten/Swaim/Rico plus I'm sure we will draft one.

WR seems to be one of the easiest positions to acquire a contribution especially since we are just looking for a guy that would like be 4th-5th on targets.

RT is the biggest need on offense. We can naturally upgrade and/or add contributors to the other positions, we may need to really hunt for a RT though.

If we let all of our offensive free agents walk and selectively add replacements for a minimal cost, our offense will still be a great unit. Defense though meees the work considering all the pending free agents and lack of talent.

ceerrece

Reaction score
Sign D-Ware if he is healthy, draft the best available player on defense (DE, CB or even a playmaking S) in every round, unless Jake Butt falls to the third.