Off-season must focus on defense

robjay04

Reaction score
Not only are we not set at RT, but we may end up having to pay for one next year anyway once Free's contract expires.

This line shouldn't have a weak link. We can probably get a really good RT in the first 3 rounds of most drafts. Maybe even the best RT at 28 with a little luck.
I doubt it is off the table when we pick at 28.

With our needs I would sure love to see us trade back just a little and get a 3rd rounder for the trade back. Maybe even trade back slightly twice, once with our original pick and again with the newly acquired pick and pick up two third rounders.

While that would be ideal in a perfect world we need to do whatever the talent weighting indicates we should do. Trade up, trade down, or stand pat. There will be good options. We just need to continue to make the most of our draft assets.

Can't trade back too far, need that 5th year option.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
That's probably a fail. That's how you end up getting a Shante Carver or a Kavika Pittman instead of Charles Haley, forcing the pick. It does no good to draft a 3rd round talent at DE in the first round. It would be better to draft an OG, Center, or whatever that carries the highest grade and then select the 3rd round graded DE in the 3rd round. He will play the same regardless of what round you draft him in.
No one said reach. if the bpa available at pick #137 is a center and a defensive end is graded just a tad lower then you take the defensive end.

Not picking the area of need is how you end up with Gavin Escobar instead of some defensive end or linebacker that you need.

Verdict

Reaction score
Can't trade back too far, need that 5th year option.

The fifth year option is valuable assuming you hit on a player. No doubt about that. But 2 players equals 8 player years so it's not the only consideration.

Verdict

Reaction score
No one said reach. if the bpa available at pick #137 is a center and a defensive end is graded just a tad lower then you take the defensive end.

Not picking the area of need is how you end up with Gavin Escobar instead of some defensive end or linebacker that you need.

It's also how you end up with a defensive end that can't play and you end up bumping off your roster.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Why did you leave out where I said, we should pass on running backs, guards, and centers as well. Anyways let me explain in detail. There have been numerous occasions where the BPA is simply a player at a position we do not need.
  • Sebastian janikowski (1st rd) Todd Sauerbrun (2nd rd) Jason Hanson ( 2nd) Chip Lohmiller, Steve Little ( both 2nd rd)
  • Fullbacks - Daryl Johnston ( 2nd rd), Lorenzo Neal (4th rd), John Riggens (1st rd), Mike Alstott (2nd rd) there's many more but these are just off of my head
  • Center - too many to list
  • Guards- too many to list
  • Running back - too many to list
If the best player is a center, the Cowboys shouldn't take him. If the best player is an offensive guard, we should probably pass. If it's a fullback, we should probably not pick him as well. Running back, we should prob pass ect...

In this years draft Forrest Lamp is a top 15 pick at guard, Freddie Stevenson and Sam Rogers are projected to be picked in the 6th rd. So if Freddie Stevenson is available in the 6th and a DE is available but rated a little less than Stevenson, we should probably roll the dice with the DE and see what he has.
Exactly. Good post. Can't use common sense here...it just doesn't work! All clubs draft for what they need most. After the first 10 picks or so its hard to be certain what young player will become an NFL starter. The idea of BPA depends entirely on who is doing the evaluation and is basically just an opinion.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Exactly. Good post. Can't use common sense here...it just doesn't work! All clubs draft for what they need most. After the first 10 picks or so its hard to be certain what young player will become an NFL starter. The idea of BPA depends entirely on who is doing the evaluation and is basically just an opinion.
A million likes brother. My sentiments exactly

:dance::dance::dance:

haleyrules

Reaction score
They need to learn how to evaluate better defensive ends better. Plain and simple
This has killed the Cowboy defense for years! To me, the leadership has a propensity to look at the offense first and maybe only! The club needs to bring in some defensive thinkers and tackle the problem of making this defense work. Its the defense that wins the big games. Ole Jerry is a salesman..and he thinks that the sizzle is more valuable,business wise, than the substance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was so much fun watching those old Doomsday Defenses rip the enemy offenses apart!! Nobody was kissin each other or trading jerseys after those games!

I can't tell you how much I miss dominating defensive football in Dallas.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes me think of a rich athletes club...where they are all so rich that performing and the game are secondary to endorsements and investments.

If the NFL was 1 company instead of 32 separate companies, then they could set salary limits without being accused of collusion. They could pay all players 500K and the players would have no choice but to take it.

The NFL should reorganize into 1 company that owns all the teams. The owners would be the GM of each team. They already share revenue on TV money. The stadiums could be owned by a separate entity from the teams.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
If the NFL was 1 company instead of 32 separate companies, then they could set salary limits without being accused of collusion. They could pay all players 500K and the players would have no choice but to take it.

The NFL should reorganize into 1 company that owns all the teams. The owners would be the GM of each team. They already share revenue on TV money. The stadiums could be owned by a separate entity from the teams.

interesting take. i will give you a like,
would like to see the idea discussed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
interesting take. i will give you a like,
would like to see the idea discussed.
It will never happen, but if they had organized the league like this prior to the start of free agency, it could have worked. They would not be able to go too low on salaries because we saw with the USFL that players will sign with another league if the money is right.

I still find it funny that the NFL owners are their own worst enemies when it comes to player compensation. They have to have a salary cap to limit themselves.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
You're not going to get Von Miller in his prime. I'd concentrate on getting a guy who you feel will be productive for 3+ seasons providing a consistent presence on the DL. For me that's Calais Campbell. You put him at SDE - be content with 8 sacks and a consistent powerful presence in the run game. I think the Cowboys front office is fooling themselves thinking they can take the next step expecting the incumbents to get it done alone. I'd consider JPP as well, although I concede he's a bit more of a risk. The money is what it is. The swings and misses at DE have gotten us to this point. Identify a vet who you feel can produce over 3 seasons and go get him.