Off-season must focus on defense

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm re-signing Mo assuming he takes the type of money he's earned so far and doesn't get overpaid by another team for his potential after his hot start this season. You can't assume he's going to be hurt every year. Any more than you replace Sean Lee because you're afraid he gets hurt.

Scandrick wasn't good this year, but he wasn't awful, and was also hurt some. Mo/Scandrick/Brown is a fine top 3 set of corners if you have a better pass rush. We're an offensive team, we're not going to have studs at every position. We just need a better pass rush.

I give MO around 3 mil a year tops. He's a backup and cannot be a starter.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Both draft and FA. In the draft we have to take best def player available. The offense is set. We must address this side of the ball. Need extreme help on DL, and possibly another corner.

Until we fix this elephant in the room we continue to go one and done.

Oh and also need to find another return guy. Lucky whitehead stinks

What would you give Cleveland to move up to draft Myles Garrett?

Elziegreat83

Reaction score
What would you give Cleveland to move up to draft Myles Garrett?
You'd be looking at a similar ransom the Rams got from the Skins for the number 2 pick, eventually used on RGIII, if not more. It would be extremely pricey. The only it would make sense is if pass rush was your only need and if Garrett was a sure fire perennial all pro.

The Cowboys need DE, CB, WR, TE etc.. In no particular order. When you have that many needs it becomes essential to utilize every round that you pickin lieu of bundling multiple picks in addressing only one need.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
You'd be looking at a similar ransom the Rams got from the Skins for the number 2 pick, eventually used on RGIII, if not more. It would be extremely pricey. The only it would make sense is if pass rush was your only need and if Garrett was a sure fire perennial all pro.

The Cowboys need DE, CB, WR, TE etc.. In no particular order. When you have that many needs it becomes essential to utilize every round that you pickin lieu of bundling multiple picks in addressing only one need.
I honestly know we can't do this, that's just how much I like the guy.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If signed Eric berry, JPP, and Calais Campbell we would win the Super Bowl
Simple as that. 35-42 million and we would have a Lombardi trophy

If we had those three playing on Sunday vs Greenbay....pow we are on to Atlanta.

conner01

Reaction score
The focus in the drat should getting the best player not best defensive player

conner01

Reaction score
What if the best player available is a running back, center, guard, kicker, punter, or full back?
When has a punter, fullback or kicker ever been the best player
Going into a draft thinking about drafting defensive instead of drafting best play is a recipe for a failed draft

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Going into a draft thinking about drafting defensive instead of drafting best play is a recipe for a failed draft

Why did you leave out where I said, we should pass on running backs, guards, and centers as well. Anyways let me explain in detail. There have been numerous occasions where the BPA is simply a player at a position we do not need.
  • Sebastian janikowski (1st rd) Todd Sauerbrun (2nd rd) Jason Hanson ( 2nd) Chip Lohmiller, Steve Little ( both 2nd rd)
  • Fullbacks - Daryl Johnston ( 2nd rd), Lorenzo Neal (4th rd), John Riggens (1st rd), Mike Alstott (2nd rd) there's many more but these are just off of my head
  • Center - too many to list
  • Guards- too many to list
  • Running back - too many to list
If the best player is a center, the Cowboys shouldn't take him. If the best player is an offensive guard, we should probably pass. If it's a fullback, we should probably not pick him as well. Running back, we should prob pass ect...

In this years draft Forrest Lamp is a top 15 pick at guard, Freddie Stevenson and Sam Rogers are projected to be picked in the 6th rd. So if Freddie Stevenson is available in the 6th and a DE is available but rated a little less than Stevenson, we should probably roll the dice with the DE and see what he has.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd go big my signings:

Eric Berry S
Desean Jackson WR
Brandon Williams DT

Resign :
Carr
Church

Draft :
1.DE
2.CB
3.WR
4.QB
5.OL
6.LB
7.KR/PR

While that might be the ideal situation I don't think any of the players you have referred to will get signed so that's probably a plan killer. Moreover, while the draft list is probably a reasonable wish list it is somewhat unlikely that what is available in the draft exactly matches up with your shopping list.

The draft should dictate who you choose and where, not necessarily the shopping list. If it lines up that BPA matches need, like it occasionally does, all the better. Planning on things to fall like you want them to fall isn't really much of a plan since it seldom works out that way.

Verdict

Reaction score

If you can draft a kicker who is head and shoulders above our pro bowl quality kicker the you draft the **** out of him and trade Bailey for a kings ransom.

Verdict

Reaction score
Why did you leave out where I said, we should pass on running backs, guards, and centers as well. Anyways let me explain in detail. There have been numerous occasions where the BPA is simply a player at a position we do not need.
  • Sebastian janikowski (1st rd) Todd Sauerbrun (2nd rd) Jason Hanson ( 2nd) Chip Lohmiller, Steve Little ( both 2nd rd)
  • Fullbacks - Daryl Johnston ( 2nd rd), Lorenzo Neal (4th rd), John Riggens (1st rd), Mike Alstott (2nd rd) there's many more but these are just off of my head
  • Center - too many to list
  • Guards- too many to list
  • Running back - too many to list
If the best player is a center, the Cowboys shouldn't take him. If the best player is an offensive guard, we should probably pass. If it's a fullback, we should probably not pick him as well. Running back, we should prob pass ect...

In this years draft Forrest Lamp is a top 15 pick at guard, Freddie Stevenson and Sam Rogers are projected to be picked in the 6th rd. So if Freddie Stevenson is available in the 6th and a DE is available but rated a little less than Stevenson, we should probably roll the dice with the DE and see what he has.

That's probably a fail. That's how you end up getting a Shante Carver or a Kavika Pittman instead of Charles Haley, forcing the pick. It does no good to draft a 3rd round talent at DE in the first round. It would be better to draft an OG, Center, or whatever that carries the highest grade and then select the 3rd round graded DE in the 3rd round. He will play the same regardless of what round you draft him in.

Verdict

Reaction score
Witten/Swaim/Rico plus I'm sure we will draft one.

WR seems to be one of the easiest positions to acquire a contribution especially since we are just looking for a guy that would like be 4th-5th on targets.

RT is the biggest need on offense. We can naturally upgrade and/or add contributors to the other positions, we may need to really hunt for a RT though.

If we let all of our offensive free agents walk and selectively add replacements for a minimal cost, our offense will still be a great unit. Defense though meees the work considering all the pending free agents and lack of talent.

Not only are we not set at RT, but we may end up having to pay for one next year anyway once Free's contract expires.

This line shouldn't have a weak link. We can probably get a really good RT in the first 3 rounds of most drafts. Maybe even the best RT at 28 with a little luck.
I doubt it is off the table when we pick at 28.

With our needs I would sure love to see us trade back just a little and get a 3rd rounder for the trade back. Maybe even trade back slightly twice, once with our original pick and again with the newly acquired pick and pick up two third rounders.

While that would be ideal in a perfect world we need to do whatever the talent weighting indicates we should do. Trade up, trade down, or stand pat. There will be good options. We just need to continue to make the most of our draft assets.

Verdict

Reaction score
I won't disagree. But the first 5 rounds need to be keyed into D, imo, Zimmy.

Also, to those that want Poe, we don't need an elite NT/1T, we need elite edge rushers. I understand what having Poe would do for the line, but without the rest of the personnel to accommodate his prowess (and contract value), it would be a meaningless sign, imo. Pass on Poe. Go hard after JPP. Who, mind you, just won NFL Comeback Player of the Year, and has changed his tune recently about staying with Big Blue. @MichaelWinicki

Edit -- if Tank was a consistent 10-12 sack guy, I would be all over Poe. What he could do with our up and coming Collins and substituting occasionally with Thornton, with a good edge pressence. Wowza. But alas, like I said earlier, we don't have that. But that's all part of the trenches. We must find that elusive, very good-to-elite, edge "Rushman"

I hear what you are saying but Poe may be available and there may not be a free agent edge rusher available who is worthy of us spending our limited cap room for that player.

Verdict

Reaction score
If signed Eric berry, JPP, and Calais Campbell we would win the Super Bowl
Simple as that. 35-42 million and we would have a Lombardi trophy

If we had those three playing on Sunday vs Greenbay....pow we are on to Atlanta.

I am sorry but the ship has sailed on JPP and his 8 digits. I wouldn't spend much on him. His best days are far in the rear view mirror.