Offense: Intelligence & Scheme Changes

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Early reports indicated Moore was getting much input from players as he began making changes to the offense. I would think that would lessen the confusion that you would expect to take place.

Techsass

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what changes he's going to make, but I can't wait to see them. Even if it starts out as minor little changes, I want to see them. JJ + his minions have been making such a hard sell that something even casual fans notice has to happen. Garret is about the only one I've heard try to downplay Moore's new influence on the offense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what changes he's going to make, but I can't wait to see them. Even if it starts out as minor little changes, I want to see them. JJ + his minions have been making such a hard sell that something even casual fans notice has to happen. Garret is about the only one I've heard try to downplay Moore's new influence on the offense.
Are the local beat writers minions?

Techsass

Reaction score
I've heard just as much on how great Dak looks from local media guys than ones that work for the Cowboys.
Yeah & I bet they're probably right.

I was thinking more about Moore. He did coach Dak all last season, so maybe that's part of Dak's improvement.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Early reports indicated Moore was getting much input from players as he began making changes to the offense. I would think that would lessen the confusion that you would expect to take place.

Getting all 11 players on the field executing the plays correctly is difficult.

Change increases the degree of difficulty in regards to making that happen.

A huge part of the Rams offensive success was great execution.
The design of their plays/formations/etc. got the attention, but
precision execution was as big or bigger of a factor in their success.

Obviously if Dak suggest a play, then it's likely something he can execute; however,
there are many other players that play snaps on offense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeah & I bet they're probably right.

I was thinking more about Moore. He did coach Dak all last season, so maybe that's part of Dak's improvement.
Dak's been working with the same guys that work with Tom Brady for two years now and Kitna has been working with him now as well. Kitna from the get go has been talking about getting Dak's footwork fixed also. So a lot of people working with him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak's been working with the same guys that work with Tom Brady for two years now and Kitna has been working with him now as well. Kitna from the get go has been talking about getting Dak's footwork fixed also. So a lot of people working with him.

All of them need to have a consistent message.

Linehan seemed like a guy that might not work well with others, especially outside consultants.

Kitna seems more like a people person that can help maintain a consistent message from all of the coaches including the consultants.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Getting all 11 players on the field executing the plays correctly is difficult.

Change increases the degree of difficulty in regards to making that happen.

A huge part of the Rams offensive success was great execution.
The design of their plays/formations/etc. got the attention, but
precision execution was as big or bigger of a factor in their success.

Obviously if Dak suggest a play, then it's likely something he can execute; however,
there are many other players that play snaps on offense.

Not just dak who is communicating with Moore. I understand it is difficult I played the game long enough to know that. I also know it takes a lot on the players part on the field as well as off the field and time they put in with playbook. Execution is always a key plays do not work without execution be it an offense players have been in or changes within the offense be it the Rams or any team. I think these guys will get it and I don't think the offense will be that drastic that they will not be able to get it. Sorry I'm not building any excuse these players and coaches have a job to do and again it is not just time on the field it is time players put in away from the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not just dak who is communicating with Moore. I understand it is difficult I played the game long enough to know that. I also know it takes a lot on the players part on the field as well as off the field and time they put in with playbook. Execution is always a key plays do not work without execution be it an offense players have been in or changes within the offense be it the Rams or any team. I think these guys will get it and I don't think the offense will be that drastic that they will not be able to get it. Sorry I'm not building any excuse these players and coaches have a job to do and again it is not just time on the field it is time players put in away from the field.
Yes, I had a thread out how I expect the players to get it because the team has focused on adding intelligent players.

The point is that O-Coordinators can't just throw out unlimited and complicated play designs because they have to coach the players to execute the plays.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/offense-intelligence-scheme-changes.434834/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, I had a thread out how I expect the players to get it because the team has focused on adding intelligent players.

The point is that O-Coordinators can't just throw out unlimited and complicated play designs because they have to coach the players to execute the plays.

I don't expect Moore to reinvent the wheel. I expect there will be some changes but I think a lot of it will be using plays that every team uses, draws, screens as well as much of the passing routs used by every team. formations I think we will see change that will use same plays using different formations as well as using more motion. Cooper was able to leave Oakland and have success right away in Dallas because frankly in a copy cat league most of these guys are going to understand these plays. Teams may use different terminology and use different formation but much of it is all the same. I think Moore success or failure will be how he uses plays to help setup other plays that lead to big plays.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't expect Moore to reinvent the wheel. I expect there will be some changes but I think a lot of it will be using plays that every team uses, draws, screens as well as much of the passing routs used by every team. formations I think we will see change that will use same plays using different formations as well as using more motion. Cooper was able to leave Oakland and have success right away in Dallas because frankly in a copy cat league most of these guys are going to understand these plays. Teams may use different terminology and use different formation but much of it is all the same. I think Moore success or failure will be how he uses plays to help setup other plays that lead to big plays.

I basically agree.

1. The Cowboys offense could have been much better last season using the exact same set of plays but with a different person calling the plays (i.e. Situational Play Calling).

2. IMO, Moore will focus on the details of each play more than completely new plays.

My expectations with regards to Kellen Moore:
More changes to the details of the plays than actual new plays.
Adapt details to each defense faced.
Focus on how defenses played vs specific plays early.
Make small adjustments based on previous plays.​
Plays designed with dynamic adjustments built in.

My expectations are based on studying game footage of:
Moore at Boise St.
The Rams.
Memphis (Moore really wanted Pollard in the draft)
The "meaningless" game 16 last season (I believe Moore called the plays).​

Example 1 (Small changes based on previous plays):
1st Quarter
TE aligned left. Runs crossing route.
QB rolls right.

2nd Quarter
Same play but TE angles up field on cut (post) instead of square in.
(Change based on how the defense covered it the first time)

Example 2 (Dynamic Adjustment Built In):
WR Noah Brown motion sequence on a run play:
Aligned outside left.
Motions to behind the Line. Stops.
Motions to outside right. Stops.
Motions back inside behind the Line.
Ball is snapped.

The dynamic adjustment is that Brown might motion 1, 2 or 3 times
based on what adjustment the defense makes.

The goal is to get a defensive alignment that the Cowboys prefer.
If they get the defensive "look" that they want after 1 motion, then
Brown stays there and Dak signals for the snap.

If they don't get the preferred "look", then Brown motions again.
Repeat.

The overall goal is to get a leverage advantage based on blocking angles.

In previous years, some Cowboys run plays have been dead pre-snap when the
defense didn't align in a way that was favorable to that play design.

I've seen the Cowboys have success on a run play and then fail on the same play later with the difference being the alignment of 1 LB.

The dynamic adjustment only involves Brown and Dak instead an audible where all players must execute a different play.

Verdict

Reaction score

Not having Dez around is going to help. Him not ever being where he was supposed to be or running imprecise routes was always an issue that the QB had to contend with.