Offensive Line Ratings from the Giants game...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From Profootballfocus.com (you can subscribe yourself for $26.99)

Smith +0.3
Leary -2.0
Frederick -0.5
Bernadau -4.5
Free +2.3

No surprises to me... I thought Free played a heck of a game.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thought Smith would have been higher, maybe Fred too. I was pleasantly surprised with Free as well.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you give context for that? How do we decipher how good/bad those numbers are? What is the criteria for those grades?

This is copyrighted stuff from PFF, we can't post everything. If you want deeper info, I would greatly suggest spending the $26.99 and subscribing to their site.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
Thrilled to see Free performing well. There were one or two plays where he got knocked on his rear, but that happens to the best of them. Looking forward to seeing this line with Waters in place of Bern.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I also look forwads to Waters getting in the lineup but I also thought the OL did a pretty good job on the night. I think there were times Romo held the ball a bit long including the play where his ribs were injured. I think that was a good test for the Cowboys playing aginst that Giants front 7, My hope is this group can play together and develop some chemistry over the course of the season

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
penalties really hurt a players score, so that explains why Smith didnt score higher and why Leary was as low as he was.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Actually please do keep posting since I don't want to pay for it and appreciate the information. It doesn't take a scooter scientist to figure out what + and - mean.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I thought Free was very good. I can't remember how PFF measures it's o-lineman, but I sure hope it takes into account whom Smith was facing. He was tremendous for the most part.

Both Fred and especially Leary fared extremely well for first time out and the latter coming off an knee injury and facing a deep Giant group of interior lineman.

Matts4313

Reaction score
This is copyrighted stuff from PFF, we can't post everything. If you want deeper info, I would greatly suggest spending the $26.99 and subscribing to their site.

Actually, I just googled it and its on their website. None of what I was asking for is hidden or would infringe a copyright. Just a heads up:

3) How Do We Grade?

Each grade given is between +2 and -2, with 0.5 increments and an average of 0. A positive intervention in the game rates a positive grading and vice-versa. Very (very) few performances draw a +/-2 rating. In fact, the distribution of non-zero grades is like this:

+2.0 0.01percent
+1.5 0.3percent
+1.0 16percent
+0.5 37percent (unbalanced because of the way WRs and HBs are rated)
-0.5 24percent
-1.0 22percent
-1.5 0.5percent
-2.0 0.01percent

The grading takes into account many things and effectively brings “intelligence” to raw statistics.
For example, a raw stat might tell you a tackle conceded a sack. However, how long did he protect the QB for before he gave it up? Additionally, when did he give it up? If it was within the last two minutes on a potentially game-tying drive, it may be rather more important than when his team is running out the clock in a 30-point blowout.
The average grade, or what we would typically expect of the average player, is therefore defined as zero. In reality, the vast majority of grades on each individual play are zero and what we are grading are the exceptions to this.
A seal block on the backside of a play, for example, is something that it is reasonable to expect to be completed successfully. Consequently, it receives a zero grade, whereas the differentiation between a good and poor block is a heavy downgrade for a failed seal block to the backside of a running play.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How good? How Bad?

Putting the numbers with no context at all is pretty useless. I mean, Im not saying copy everything.. But a simple explanation should have been provided.

OK, here's some info...

3) How Do We Grade?
Each grade given is between +2 and -2, with 0.5 increments and an average of 0. A positive intervention in the game rates a positive grading and vice-versa. Very (very) few performances draw a +/-2 rating. In fact, the distribution of non-zero grades is like this:
+2.00.01percent
+1.50.3percent
+1.016percent
+0.537percent (unbalanced because of the way WRs and HBs are rated)
-0.524percent
-1.022percent
-1.50.5percent
-2.00.01percent
The grading takes into account many things and effectively brings “intelligence” to raw statistics.
For example, a raw stat might tell you a tackle conceded a sack. However, how long did he protect the QB for before he gave it up? Additionally, when did he give it up? If it was within the last two minutes on a potentially game-tying drive, it may be rather more important than when his team is running out the clock in a 30-point blowout.
The average grade, or what we would typically expect of the average player, is therefore defined as zero. In reality, the vast majority of grades on each individual play are zero and what we are grading are the exceptions to this.
A seal block on the backside of a play, for example, is something that it is reasonable to expect to be completed successfully. Consequently, it receives a zero grade, whereas the differentiation between a good and poor block is a heavy downgrade for a failed seal block to the backside of a running play.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Thanks for posting mike. I thought Smith played better than indicated on a relative basis.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Someone told me PFF rated Carson Palmer higher than Peyton Manning Week 1. If thats true they should be paying people 26.99 to read their nonsense. Can anyone confirm that?