RELEASED Official Cowboy Cuts Discussion Thread

Beaker42

Reaction score
Do you understand that Thornhill is a Free Safety or some teams considered him a CB?

Do you realize that Jeff Heath plays Strong Safety?
Yes X I get that and I see where you’re going. To me Thornhill was the obvious pick because he was more pro-ready than Hill and maybe could have allowed us to move Byron for help in other spots. As for Heath, he’s a try hard who I respect for his effort but I’d rather put Thornhill in his spot after watching Heath stare right at Goff and still let him lumber for a first to kill our season.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He's not trash. Needs technique and discipline. Can't make every play.

I will agree he looked like a fish out of water, literally, but I think he could play IF he's coachable. I guess we'll see one way or another.
That’s a helluva chance to take on a 3rd or 4th rounder - it’s inexcusable to make it on a 2nd. 1’s and 2’s need to and should be able to help right away.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Teams draft multiple players at the same position all the time.

Xavier Woods is not the type of player who prevents you from drafting anyone.

Also, Wilson's best position is nickel. He'll be fine at safety but when healthy, he excelled at the nickel spot at A&M, while Justin Evans and Armani Watts played the two traditional safety spots.
They should’ve told Rod to go sit in the corner and taken Thornhill for FS and moved X up to SS.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Is Thornhill even a starter?

Just checked. He’s behind matthei. So he’d take Woods spot but can’t take Matthei spot? Get past the name and Woods was better last year. Hop off Thornhill please

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By my count they are down to 73 players. Actually 72 since Quinn goes to the suspended list.
19 more to go combined releases and players moved to IR / PUP. Possible trades.

Beaker42

Reaction score
It just means they're probably going long at receiver. Bodes well for Wilson.
Kid should’ve used two hands on that pass in the end zone instead of going for a one-hander. He’s solid though.

erod

Reaction score

Just checked. He’s behind matthei. So he’d take Woods spot but can’t take Matthei spot? Get past the name and Woods was better last year. Hop off Thornhill please
NFL defense often play 5 or 6 defensive backs at a time. And they sub for full series. He'll get his chances.

Beaker42

Reaction score

He’s a lot closer to being a starter now than Hill will be even next season. Juan’s gonna be a stud and Hill’s a dude with bad hair at this point. That ****’s gotta go.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes X I get that and I see where you’re going. To me Thornhill was the obvious pick because he was more pro-ready than Hill and maybe could have allowed us to move Byron for help in other spots. As for Heath, he’s a try hard who I respect for his effort but I’d rather put Thornhill in his spot after watching Heath stare right at Goff and still let him lumber for a first to kill our season.

Thornhill
  • The Cowboys considered Thornhill as Safety.
  • A 3rd round Safety would also project to be an improvement over Heath at SS.
  • If the NFL had a magic rule that said Thornhill could only play Strong Safety, then he would not have been a 2nd round pick.
  • Heath is not great but was way down the list of reasons the Cowboys lost to the Rams in the playoff game.

Hill vs Thornhill (DL vs Safety)
  • The other issue is that DL has a higher positional value than Safety.
  • At any given pick, the best Safety available is highly likely to be a better prospect as a Safety than the best available DL is as a DL.
  • If a team always picked the best player at his position, then that team would never pick certain positions.
  • For many years the Cowboys had that issue at OLine.
  • Their grades on OLinemen meant that an OLineman was rarely ever going to be available where they had them graded.
  • Their grades on ranking OLinemen relative to each other were fine, but their rankings of OLinemen relative to other positions was the problem.
  • It meant that multiple other teams would have those OLinemen rated higher.
  • Example: If the Cowboys had an OL rated as a 3rd round pick, then most other teams had that player rated as a 2nd round pick.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Thornhill
  • If the NFL had a magic rule that said Thornhill could only play Strong Safety, then he would not have been a 2nd round pick.
  • Heath is not great but was way down the list of reasons the Cowboys lost to the Rams in the playoff game.

• At any given pick, the best Safety available is highly likely to be a better prospect as a Safety than the best available DL is as a DL.
  • If a team always picked the best player at his position, then that team would never pick certain positions.
  • Their grades on OLinemen meant that an OLineman was rarely ever going to be available where they had them graded.
  • Their grades on ranking OLinemen relative to each other were fine, but their rankings of OLinemen relative to other positions was the problem.
  • Example: If the Cowboys had an OL rated as a 3rd round pick, then most other teams had that player rated as a 2nd round pick.
Correlation is not causation.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Thornhill

Here’s the thing - if they wanted a pro-ready DT they should’ve moved up. We weren’t in a spot where we only needed upgrade at either DT or S - it was both. Thornhill was a MUCH safer 2nd round grab than Hill has turned out to be. We could’ve taken Juan in the 2nd and still been able to grab Hill in the 4th - maybe the 5th. We obviously had him rated 2-3 rounds higher than anyone else because we were totally drafting by position instead of BPA.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
How is that relevant to my post?

I appreciate you flexing your knowledge. We all know you know your stuff, but you're reaching in your exposition. You're making connections that aren't there. Mostly, you're overcomplicating the issue with long-winded explanations that seem more like an act of attrition than anything else.

And I genuinely mean that in the nicest way possible.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Here’s the thing - if they wanted a pro-ready DT they should’ve moved up. We weren’t in a spot where we only needed upgrade at either DT or S - it was both. Thornhill was a MUCH safer 2nd round grab than Hill has turned out to be. We could’ve taken Juan in the 2nd and still been able to grab Hill in the 4th - maybe the 5th. We obviously had him rated 2-3 rounds higher than anyone else because we were totally drafting by position instead of BPA.

Great explanation. This is how I feel, but said better than I've been able to say it. I wanted Rapp, because I think Xavier can play FS and Rapp SS, but if they wanted Thornhill, they could have had him and Hill.