News: Official: Jerry statement on not renewing Garrett contract

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So the Garrett’s are products, even though dysfunction followed them before Jerry at Columbia? Is Lacewell also a product of the dysfunction? How are guys like Jim and Lacewell products, if they are or were part of Jerry’s inner circle?
Are you suggesting Jerry’s Cowboys weren't dysfunctional without the Garretts?

khiladi

Reaction score
Well it's my understanding his contract didn't expire till the 14th of this month. That may well have been a factor and a legal sticking point. Especially if Jerry was saying they just weren't renewing the contract. If we knew all the facts of the case for sure, it would probably make a lot more sense. Jerry probably didn't want to come right out and publicly state that he was firing him simply out of respect for Garrett, hence the milder language of not renewing the contract.

It’s like what Jerry did for Jason’s brother John. He fired everybody else, but saved John the bad PR press and allowed John to frame it in such a way that he was going to pursue other opportunities per his own choice.

khiladi

Reaction score
Are you suggesting Jerry’s Cowboys weren't dysfunctional without the Garretts?

When were Jerry’s Cowboys ever without the Garrett’s? Oh yeah, when Parcells came and prii ok snag told Jerry that he wasn’t having him or Lacewell in his ear.. when did they return? Oh yeah, when Parcells left...

Verdict

Reaction score
Because you talked like you did with your "we could do worse" routine. In retrospect, it's clear that thankfully you were wrong on all counts.

Well we could do worse, unfortunately, bro. We may just find out but hopefully Jerry hires a good coach instead. But I’m not sure that is a given.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When were Jerry’s Cowboys ever without the Garrett’s? Oh yeah, when Parcells came and prii ok snag told Jerry that he wasn’t having him or Lacewell in his ear.. when did they return? Oh yeah, when Parcells left...
So, are you saying The Cowboys are only a dysfunctional organization because of The Garretts?

khiladi

Reaction score
So, are you saying The Cowboys are only a dysfunctional organization because of The Garretts?

Are you saying the Garrett’s weren’t in the ears of the Jerry dysfunctional years. Since when was Jerry’s reign ever without the Garrett’s in his ears?

you are the one trying to isolate them from Jerry. We already know Jerry was dysfunctional by hiring or keeping them in the first place.

I didn’t write the “sentimental” piece of how the Garrett’s are some legendary family here in Dallas and they deserve respect, while Jerry does not..

That was you..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we could do worse, unfortunately, bro. We may just find out but hopefully Jerry hires a good coach instead. But I’m not sure that is a given.

I think you'd have to make a case for how "we could do worse".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even if he does hire a good coach like he did with Parcells who says he doesn’t undermine and meddle either running him off or deterring the success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you saying the Garrett’s weren’t in the ears of the Jerry dysfunctional years. Since when was Jerry’s reign ever without the Garrett’s in his ears?

you are the one trying to isolate them from Jerry. We already know Jerry was dysfunctional by hiring or keeping them in the first place.

I didn’t write the “sentimental” piece of how the Garrett’s are some legendary family here in Dallas and they deserve respect, while Jerry does not..

That was you..
You misinterpret my sentiments as “ legendary”.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
why feel sorry or bad about it when he probably has 40 million in the bank??:huh:
I just cant feel bad about someone with 40 million losing their job.
People are happy because it means change, they were sick of the way things were.
Maybe it gets better, or maybe not, at least it will be something different.
As far as making fun of him etc, jason does not read this forum so he will never know, and one little tidbit, I am sure he does not care one iota
about you or any other person here.
He would/did refer to us as "noise" we are insignificant to him, so go ahead and feel bad for him , but dont expect others to.

I feel so bad for Garrett and his $50 million. I have a right as a fan to be jubilant when there would be no Cowboys or NFL without fans.
Wrong. You are one of the A-holes I was talking about.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You do realize, no one is excited a man got fired. People are excited that a new era can begin. A positive move for the organization has occurred tonight.
Don't be excited until the right guy is hired. As far as you know we just get another Garrett that complies with the micromanagement of Jerry.

Soth

Reaction score
How do you know this isn’t how Garrett asked to go out? If Garrett had X years left on his contract you’d be right. But in this case his contract is up. If anything, this is as professional as it gets assuming Garrett was told of his fate. Just because people wanted Garrett thrown into the dustbin on black Monday doesn’t mean that letting him go quietly is unprofessional. Think about what you’re saying.

You may be right. It is just an odd way to handle this. I mean, Garrett was still doing "player meetings" recently, and at the same time they are calling HC candidates. Why keep Garrett around if they all know he is gone? Just make it official right away and move on. Too much drama.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
McCarthy interviewed with other teams as well. Wonder why they didn’t hire him?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
McCarthy interviewed with other teams as well. Wonder why they didn’t hire him?

I was thinking about this too and I'm wondering if he was the one that waffled a little because of the teams and maybe the Jones family had already given an indication of interest.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know what's interesting about that statement? He never said anything about not retaining Garrett. He couldn't bring himself to do so.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You know what's interesting about that statement? He never said anything about not retaining Garrett. He couldn't bring himself to do so.
And that really tells us all we need to know about Jerry’s priorities.

He’s only letting Jason go because he reluctantly feels he has no choice not because he thinks we need to move on or it’s in the best interest for Cowboys Football.

Last edited:

cml750

Reaction score
And that really tells us all we need to know about Jerry’s priorities.

He’s only letting Jason go because he reluctantly feels he has no choice not because he thinks we need to move on or it’s in the best interest for Cowboys Football.
I have little doubt Jerry would keep him if he thought he could sell it to the fan base. I think they realize they are on the verge of losing fans if they prolonged their decade long mistake.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That’s great to know, because I don’t give two pieces of monkey poo what you think of me. Win-win?
It doesn't change the fact that you are an A-hole. Continue to go through life thinking otherwise. It makes no difference to me.