News: Official: Jerry statement on not renewing Garrett contract

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett finally gave Jerry permission to address the media .

"Jason is an outstanding impressive superb hero to mankind. He lost 3 division championships, what a triumph !" , sure jerry .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His father cane here in 87. Hardly connected to the Landry era and his sons got here because of his father, meaning nepotism. Jim Garrett left a ‘legacy’ of 0-10 at Columbia, whole bringing his sons there. These guys were part of a dysfunctional organization without Jerry Led by their father. They rode the Jerry train for thirty years,

Cut the SOB story BS.
Of course he was connected to Landry who hired him. Regardless if it was near the end of Toms career. That respect was extended to Jason as he paid homage to Landry with the OL shift at the end of some games.

Garrett began coaching at the United States Coast Guard Academy and Lehigh University and found success as head coach at Susquehanna University(1960–1965), leading them to a 39–11–1 record which included undefeated seasons in 1961 and 1962. He was fired during the seventh game of the 1965 season for assaulting a player.[2] He spent most of the next 40 years in the National Football League as an assistant coach with the New York Giants (1970–1973), the New Orleans Saints (1976–1977), and the Cleveland Browns (1978–1984), as well as head coach of the Houston Texans of the fledgling World Football League (1974). There was a brief stint in the mid-1970s as head coach at Millburn High School in New Jersey. His last coaching job as head coach of Columbia Universityin 1985 was fraught with controversy as the team went 0–10 and accusations of verbal and physical abuse surfaced.[3] After the season, his sons John, Jason and Judd, who were enrolled at Columbia, transferred to Princeton University.[4]

From 1987 to 2004, he served as a scout for the Dallas Cowboys.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Garrett

khiladi

Reaction score
Of course he was connected to Landry who hired him. Regardless if it was near the end of Toms career. That respect was extended to Jason as he paid homage to Landry with the OL shift at the end of some games.

Garrett began coaching at the United States Coast Guard Academy and Lehigh University and found success as head coach at Susquehanna University(1960–1965), leading them to a 39–11–1 record which included undefeated seasons in 1961 and 1962. He was fired during the seventh game of the 1965 season for assaulting a player.[2] He spent most of the next 40 years in the National Football League as an assistant coach with the New York Giants (1970–1973), the New Orleans Saints (1976–1977), and the Cleveland Browns (1978–1984), as well as head coach of the Houston Texans of the fledgling World Football League (1974). There was a brief stint in the mid-1970s as head coach at Millburn High School in New Jersey. His last coaching job as head coach of Columbia Universityin 1985 was fraught with controversy as the team went 0–10 and accusations of verbal and physical abuse surfaced.[3] After the season, his sons John, Jason and Judd, who were enrolled at Columbia, transferred to Princeton University.[4]

From 1987 to 2004, he served as a scout for the Dallas Cowboys.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Garrett

You tried to make it sound like some ‘legacy’ to make it sentimental like this man’s did anything and put this on Jerry as dysfunctional, as if Jim and his family weren’t responsible for the dysfunction, The only reason this man and his family Had or have jobs is because of Jerry. Jim Garrett was TRASh and Columbia and brought dysfunction there without Jerry.

Tom Landry was here over 25 years when he got fired or something like that. Jim Garrett’s connection to the Landry era was one year when Landry got the axe.

Jim Garrett’s WHOLE legacy here is basically tied to Jerry Jones. Notice how this clown, like Lacewell, was bounced once Parcells came here.

Like I said, cut the sob story BS.

ghst187

Reaction score
Basically sounds like (and should) the presentation of a participation trophy

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is an issue because everybody familiar with Dallas knows that Garrett family owes Jerry, not the other way around. Jerry kept his father around as a right hand man. It was Jim Garrett that was feeding Drew Henson as the next Aikman and Jim was right along Lacewell. Jerry employed Jim’s sons as players and coaches as well as personnel directors, even though they showed nothing,

Like I said, Troy in these last couple of weeks has become irritating ** and he’s trying to project this as Jerry’s fault to protect his friend and knowing what his position is as all-time Dallas great, while knowing the facts about the Garrett family. That’s not integrity.
Troys criticism of Jerry ways over the years has been widely known going back to his playing days.

I can’t imagine anyone but Jerry apologist attacking Troys comments which everyone I’ve heard from especially locally embraces them.

Jason’s record speaks for itself. The lack of more success in the playoffs ultimately loss his favor in the local media and with fans. Troy recent remarks pertained more to Jerry’s toxic atmosphere he created after the Patriots game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Troys criticism of Jerry ways over the years has been widely known going back to his playing days.

I can’t imagine anyone but Jerry apologist attacking Troys comments which everyone I’ve heard from especially locally embraces them.

Jason’s record speaks for itself. The lack of more success in the playoffs ultimately loss his favor in the local media and with fans. Troy recent remarks pertained more to Jerry’s toxic atmosphere he created after the Patriots game.

Troy basically said he retired because of Jerry recently. That’s absolutely nonsense. He retired because he was WAiVED by the Cowboys. Troy, while I respect him, isn’t a saint.

The Garrett family’s riding the gravy train of Jerry speaks for itself. We can more than attack Troy’s comments, because the Garrett’s have been right alongside Jerry for over 20 years. If Jerry was that dysfunctional, how come father Garret kept coming to Jerry to hire his sons. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Jason Garrett have been fired long ago if it was any other coach. Wade had three winning seasons, and won the first playoff game in like twenty years and Garrett’s offense had 19 TOs in 8 games and he got the boot so Garrett could be promoted. Then Garrett was so bad at play calling, Jerry had to strip play calling from him, Garrett blamed Rob Ryan for his own failures. This whole decade has been Jerry effectively removing responsibility from Garrett because the latter sucked. Jerry did everything in his power to help Jason succeed and Jason was tied to Jerry’s ego. If Jason succeeded, Jerry would look good

Troy’s comments these years has to do with defending his clown friend. Troy seems to be obsessed with Jerry more than ever, ‘coincidentally’ when his boy got the axe.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You tried to make it sound like some ‘legacy’ to make it sentimental like this man’s did anything and put this on Jerry as dysfunctional, as if Jim and his family weren’t responsible for the dysfunction, The only reason this man and his family Had or have jobs is because of Jerry. Jim Garrett was TRASh and Columbia and brought dysfunction there without Jerry.

Tom Landry was here over 25 years when he got fired or something like that. Jim Garrett’s connection to the Landry era was one year when Landry got the axe.

Jim Garrett’s WHOLE legacy here is basically tied to Jerry Jones. Notice how this clown, like Lacewell, was bounced once Parcells came here.

Like I said, cut the sob story BS.
Your obviously too young to remember Landry was at the helm for 29 years. Jim was with Tom the last two of those.

Jerry’s dysfunctional ways is why Garrett was here. Who names a 2 year QB Coach the “ future of the Dallas Cowboys” before he names a HC in the most unprecedented ridiculous fashion I’ve ever seen.

Jason was Jerry’s Puppet and I’ve argued the perfect puppet enabling Jerry to pursue his passion of building and winning a championship without an experienced and proven HC hoping to finally prove all the critics wrong about Jimmy.

And Jerry provided Jason every opportunity over almost 10 years except what most HC’s recieve in more control.

khiladi

Reaction score
Your obviously too young to remember Landry was at the helm for 29 years. Jim was with Tom the last two of those.

Jerry’s dysfunctional ways is why Garrett was here. Who names a 2 year QB Coach the “ future of the Dallas Cowboys” before he names a HC in the most unprecedented ridiculous fashion I’ve ever seen.

Jason was Jerry’s Puppet and I’ve argued the perfect puppet enabling Jerry to pursue his passion of building and winning a championship without an experienced and proven HC hoping to finally prove all the critics wrong about Jimmy.

And Jerry provided Jason every opportunity over almost 10 years except what most HC’s recieve in more control.

First of all, I said LIKE 25 years, meaning approximately. And I also said he care in 87 at basically the last year of his career. Stop latching on to nonsense to try and create some aura around Garrett. Jim Garrett was here the last year of Landry’s career here, including the strike year and was when they were effectively DONE.

The fact is the WHOLE Garrett family has been riding Jerry’s money train and they tied themselves to him like a scavenger. Get that sentimental nonsense out of here.

You claim Jason has no control, yet he had completely control over play calling. Jason didn’t even have Romo in game planning meeting until after 2012, when Jerry finally forced it from on top. Jerry even tolerated Jason interfering with Callahan as play caller. Jerry didn’t even allow Wade to touch the offense of Garrett and even squashed the idea of Dan Reeves to baby sit Garrett.

You’d whole speech was to try and disaffiliate this man and his family from the dysfunction when Jim Garrett’s career prior to the Cowboys was dysfunction at Columbia. He had to coach high school football, before he ended up as a scout in Dallas. The guy’s career track was moving downwards.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Troy basically said he retired because of Jerry recently. That’s absolutely nonsense. He retired because he was WAiVED by the Cowboys. Troy, while I respect him, isn’t a saint.

The Garrett family’s riding the gravy train of Jerry speaks for itself. We can more than attack Troy’s comments, because the Garrett’s have been right alongside Jerry for over 20 years. If Jerry was that dysfunctional, how come father Garret kept coming to Jerry to hire his sons. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Jason Garrett have been fired long ago if it was any other coach. Wade had three winning seasons, and won the first playoff game in like twenty years and Garrett’s offense had 19 TOs in 8 games and he got the boot so Garrett could be promoted. Then Garrett was so bad at play calling, Jerry had to strip play calling from him, Garrett blamed Rob Ryan for his own failures. This whole decade has been Jerry effectively removing responsibility from Garrett because the latter sucked. Jerry did everything in his power to help Jason succeed and Jason was tied to Jerry’s ego. If Jason succeeded, Jerry would look good

Troy’s comments these years has to do with defending his clown friend. Troy seems to be obsessed with Jerry more than ever, ‘coincidentally’ when his boy got the axe.
Troy still wanted to play but didn’t want to play for another team. That’s how he views Jerry ended his career. That’s why he retired. And it was time for Troy to retire but players are never ready.

Jerry allowed for Garrett to remain here and made him the highest paid OC in the league to pursue axe him to stay waiting on the HC position instead of bolting for Atlanta or Baltimore.

Jason remained here as I said above cause of Jerry’s ambitions to prove he could win without a great HC. That’s on Jerry not Jason. Lol

khiladi

Reaction score
Troy still wanted to play but didn’t want to play for another team. That’s how he views Jerry ended his career. That’s why he retired. And it was time for Troy to retire but players are never ready.

Jerry allowed for Garrett to remain here and made him the highest paid OC in the league to pursue axe him to stay waiting on the HC position instead of bolting for Atlanta or Baltimore.

Jason remained here as I said above cause of Jerry’s ambitions to prove he could win without a great HC. That’s on Jerry not Jason. Lol

Troy got waived.

And Troy tried to reconnect with Norv Turner in San Diego and Miami. The fact is, Troy basically spoke garbage when he said he left because of dysfunction just recently in this context of defending his clown friend Jason. Troy was waived. Troy has gone completely overboard on trying to make this of Jerry for the sake of his buddy. Jason needs to tell Troy to calm down, because of all that Jerry did for Jason and his family.

And of course these decisions were on Jerry, which is the point. So your speech about how Jason and Jim are part of some legacy with the Cowboys and deserve some respect and they are victims to Jerry is nonsense.

So now Jerry has finally done something about it and he’s getting the bad PR, while Jason is being painted by his lackeys as a VICTIM, trying to completely rewrite the narrative. This is a joke.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First of all, I said LIKE 25 years, meaning approximately. And I also said he care in 87 at basically the last year of his career. Stop latching on to nonsense to try and create some aura around Garrett. Jim Garrett was here the last year of Landry’s career here, including the strike year and was when they were effectively DONE.

The fact is the WHOLE Garrett family has been riding Jerry’s money train and they tied themselves to him like a scavenger. Get that sentimental nonsense out of here.

You claim Jason has no control, yet he had completely control over play calling. Jason didn’t even have Romo in game planning meeting until after 2012, when Jerry finally forced it from on top. Jerry even tolerated Jason interfering with Callahan as play caller. Jerry didn’t even allow Wade to touch the offense of Garrett and even squashed the idea of Dan Reeves to baby sit Garrett.

You’d whole speech was to try and disaffiliate this man and his family from the dysfunction when Jim Garrett’s career prior to the Cowboys was dysfunction at Columbia. He had to coach high school football, before he ended up as a scout in Dallas. The guy’s career track was moving downwards.
I really don’t agree with your characterization of Jim Garrett . Your choosing to use one negative aspect of his coaching career is troll like behavior.

I can’t imagine a Cowboy fan choosing to defend Jerry’s ways but these forums certainly provide for everyone to present their opinion . Just not their own facts.

And I corrected you on the Landry era cause you said he was with Landry only one year. It was 2. I view them as facts not nonsense.

khiladi

Reaction score
I really don’t agree with your characterization of Jim Garrett . Your choosing to use one negative aspect of his coaching career is troll like behavior.

I can’t imagine a Cowboy fan choosing to defend Jerry’s ways but these forums certainly provide for everyone to present their opinion . Just not their own facts.

And I corrected you on the Landry era cause you said he was with Landry only one year. It was 2. I view them as facts not nonsense.

I don’t agree with your characterization, especially when Jim Garrett got fired from Columbia at 0-10 and brought all three of his sons there and this man latched onto Jerry his whole life. Jim Garrett went from HC to HS football coach and then to a scout position. That’s a trend of moving downward. You can’t sell that sentimental nonsense here.

And you didn’t correct me. I was clearly using an approximation, which I stated explicitly. I corrected you that your claims to tie him to Landry’s LEGACY is a joke.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Troy got waived.

And Troy tried to reconnect with Norv Turner in San Diego and Miami. The fact is, Troy basically spoke garbage when he said he left because of dysfunction just recently in this context of defending his clown friend Jason. Troy was waived. Troy has gone completely overboard on trying to make this of Jerry for the sake of his buddy. Jason needs to tell Troy to calm down, because of all that Jerry did for Jason and his family.

And of course these decisions were on Jerry, which is the point. So your speech about how Jason and Jim are part of some legacy with the Cowboys and deserve some respect and they are victims to Jerry is nonsense.

So now Jerry has finally done something about it and he’s getting the bad PR, while Jason is being painted by his lackeys as a VICTIM, trying to completely rewrite the narrative. This is a joke.
I stand by my characterization of Garrett and his family’s association to the Cowboys. Obviously Jerry’s official statement would concur.

And like all Cowboy fans I know along with the local media embrace Troys comments on how Jerry is the core issue with the Cowboys lack of success.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. You act as if I wanted to retain Garrett. But I thought it was 50/50 that Jerry might keep Garrett. It will be interesting to see what info, if any, comes out from behind the scenes.

Because you talked like you did with your "we could do worse" routine. In retrospect, it's clear that thankfully you were wrong on all counts.

khiladi

Reaction score
I stand by my characterization of Garrett and his family’s association to the Cowboys. Obviously Jerry’s official statement would concur.

And I like all Cowboy fans I know along with the local media support embrace Troys comments on how Jerry is the core issue with the Cowboys lack of success.

Of course Jerry’s official statement would concur, which proves how much the Garrett family means to Jerry. If Jason is using his buddies to rant about Jerry, than Jason is a piece of garbage, because of how much Jerry has done for them. That’s the very definition of ingratitude. Jason, if he was a man of integrity like you claim, needs to tell his buddy Troy to calm down.

Facts also tell us Jim Garrett failed in Columbia without Jerry around him and his HC stint was full of dysfunction.

So apparently you get it, but you don’t get it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t agree with your characterization, especially when Jim Garrett got fired from Columbia at 0-10 and brought all three of his sons there and this man latched onto Jerry his whole life. Jim Garrett went from HC to HS football coach and then to a scout position. That’s a trend of moving downward. You can’t sell that sentimental nonsense here.

And you didn’t correct me. I was clearly using an approximation, which I stated explicitly. I corrected you that your claims to tie him to Landry’s LEGACY is a joke.
Thats a poor deflection . Your approximation was an intent to discount and discredit the connection to Landry.

I’m not trying to sell Jim’s coaching career. You are using it with another attempt to discredit him.

khiladi

Reaction score
Thats a poor deflection . Your approximation was an intent to discount and discredit the connection to Landry.

I’m not trying to sell Jim’s coaching career. You are using it with another attempt to discredit him.

No my intention was to discount and discredit you trying to argue he is part of the legacy of Landry, when he was here for about one year.

My intent was to bring actual facts to the discussions while your prime post was some nauseous sentimental defense of the Garrett’s, like they were not influencing Jerry in his dysfunction.