Official: Kellen Moore made OC, Kitna QB Coach

Little Jr

Reaction score
The only way this has a CHANCE to work, is if they give Moore total control over the playbook. If he's calling plays from the playbook we've had for 12 years now, there won't be much, if any change.

If they give him that control there is a CHANCE it could work. I give it a chance because He might be like Romo and others in the sense that he really didn't by into the JG playbook and he'll change it. But there is also a chance since he's been with Linehan pretty much since he came into the NFL that he's just a clone of the same philosophy/ scheme that jg and Linehan is from.

We'll see.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I’m completely puzzled by those in the media that talk about Kellen as some sort of can’t miss genius. Don’t get me wrong, I hope they are right and certainly it’s possible that they are right. But there’s absolutely no way they or anybody else knows what Moore is capable of. But here’s to wishing him the best of luck.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit has an entire roster of quotes in his sig from people outside the organization talking about how great Garrett is.

How has that worked out? ;)

3 of 5 NFCE crowns and no NFC teams winning more games since Dak has been in the league. And a couple of playoff losses largely unrelated to coaching that he people holding torches and pitchforks can’t recognize. It hasn’t been so bad.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m completely puzzled by those in the media that talk about Kellen as some sort of can’t miss genius. Don’t get me wrong, I hope they are right and certainly it’s possible that they are right. But there’s absolutely no way they or anybody else knows what Moore is capable of. But here’s to wishing him the best of luck.

Now there are rumors that multiple teams were interested in him as an OC.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25893667/dallas-cowboys-name-kellen-moore-offensive-coordinator

I have no idea how qualified he might be. But I know a lot of people look silly fighting his QB coach promotion so hard last season based on zero actual information. Maybe we need to just take a step back and see how this plays out before digging in with our opinions.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I heard someone say the older method to test insanity, back in history, run water in a sink until it is overflowing. Bring in the patient and give them a mop. Ask them to clean up the water. Come back later to observe if they turned off the water. You now have your answer.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Yep. Turns out Kellen Moore's dad was Bill Walsh, and his mom was Samantha Stevens (let's see if anyone below age 45 gets that reference). That makes him a wizard of offensive football.
Has anyone notified Tom about this?

cristglo

Reaction score
One thing about it If he fails we could be in a position to take a great QB in the 2020 Draft lol

75boyz

Reaction score
It makes no sense for the head coach to comment that his staff would remain intact, only to say later that same day that all of that was yet to be determined after all...

It makes no sense to let go of an offensive coordinator unless you know you're getting someone better.

If you know you're getting someone better, then it makes no sense that you don't announce that better coach immediately or at least very soon afterwards.

If you don't announce that better coach immediately or very soon afterwards, then it is only rational to deduce that you must not actually feel that confident in any of your current options, and you're waiting for someone better to emerge.

If you wait weeks for someone better to emerge... then no one does... but you say you're actually just waiting until after the Super Bowl so as not to distract from that... then you announce it almost the very next day after that...

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

The lack of acknowledging the self-evident validity of the keystone cops comment just shows you're doing darned best to ignore the complete buffoonery and clumsiness of this ordeal in the interest of sunshine pumping.

Regardless of what one thinks of Kellen Moore, and I'm entirely right to be highly highly skeptical and to regard his future players' opinions as inherently biased as yours if you were asked to comment on someone for whom you might work some day (or didn't that occur to you???).... the front office bungling of this episode is among the more embarrassing and jarring in recent memory.

Very well summarized. I watched this all unfold the same way as you presented here. But I guess both my eyesight and at least a decent knowledge of the situation will all be chalked up to my own version of speculation, skepticism or the best one, "I'm a hater again."
Again, really nice post.

75boyz

Reaction score
Merely "possible?"

obs.gif

That seems generous.

I'm persuaded the Occam's Razor conclusion is exactly that.

Moore might not have even been the backup plan... they'll never tell and we'll never know... but when they let Linehan go, there was a Plan A plausibly connected to Jerry's comment (ie, that this is the time of year when you wait to see who might become available) that they were hoping would materialize... and didn't....

And then there was this period in-between that, and when we first started hearing for the first time ever that the quarterback coach was, actually, a genius... when Plan B may have been getting explored...

And then, there has been this long period since those assertions started getting play, and this week, and at any point in that timeline, Moore might have been named, but wasn't, and so it's entirely plausible they were exploring Plan C...

And now, here we are.

Was Moore as OC the backup...

to the backup...

to the backup plan... ie, Plan D?

It will be denied. That's all we know for sure. But it's entirely plausible that that's the honest truth. Or, at least Plan C. Or, at the very least, Plan B.

That doesn't mean Kellen Moore won't be successful.

Sometimes you get lucky in spite of yourself. All we can do is hope this is an example of that.

You continue to lay out factual evidence by exact time line yet are met with resistance with zero rebuttal substance. Not one person has effectively countered your assertions. Very nice job.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
3 of 5 NFCE crowns and no NFC teams winning more games since Dak has been in the league. And a couple of playoff losses largely unrelated to coaching that he people holding torches and pitchforks can’t recognize. It hasn’t been so bad.
Largely unrelated to coaching is where you are simply wrong my friend. Winning in the playoffs has everything to do with coaching and preparing your team. If you don't see that, it makes sense that you think JG is a good coach.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Now there are rumors that multiple teams were interested in him as an OC.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25893667/dallas-cowboys-name-kellen-moore-offensive-coordinator

I have no idea how qualified he might be. But I know a lot of people look silly fighting his QB coach promotion so hard last season based on zero actual information. Maybe we need to just take a step back and see how this plays out before digging in with our opinions.
Just because they wanted to interview him doesn’t tell us much. He might have been as much an unknown to those teams as he is all of us. At the end of the day Moore has achieved nothing yet. Given how bad our passing attack was in ‘18 and how so-so Dak was I don’t think anyone would hang their hat on his 2018 results. Let’s face it, it’s a huge shot in the dark. Doesn’t mean it won’t work though.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because they wanted to interview him doesn’t tell us much. He might have been as much an unknown to those teams as he is all of us. At the end of the day Moore has achieved nothing yet. Given how bad our passing attack was in ‘18 and how so-so Dak was I don’t think anyone would hang their hat on his 2018 results. Let’s face it, it’s a huge shot in the dark. Doesn’t mean it won’t work though.

I’m not even sure other teams wanted to interview him. But if they did, it means a lot as far as I’m concerned. That only happens by reputation, and NFL teams know far more about staffs around the league than fans ever hear about. Every NFL coach knows dozens of other college and pro coaches. Those guys all talk. If they’re looking at a second year coach for OC, and itsmore then one team doing it, it means he’s high potential.

That said, I wouldn’t put it past the Cowboys to leak a story like this to validate a hiring like this one just to give Moore some creditbiouty, either.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I’m not even sure other teams wanted to interview him. But if they did, it means a lot as far as I’m concerned. That only happens by reputation, and NFL teams know far more about staffs around the league than fans ever hear about. Every NFL coach knows dozens of other college and pro coaches. Those guys all talk. If they’re looking at a second year coach for OC, and itsmore then one team doing it, it means he’s high potential.

That said, I wouldn’t put it past the Cowboys to leak a story like this to validate a hiring like this one just to give Moore some creditbiouty, either.
But there’s no way he has a reputation. At least not one that would be enticing. If he was QB coach for one year for Mahomes, Brees, Goff, ecetera I might buy that there was buzz about him. But there aren’t any results yet to get excited about. If other teams were interested it would have to solely be because he’s young “so let’s talk to him and see if he wows us.”

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
LOL...…….because he did such a great job nearly getting shut out at the Pro Bowl?
Quit using the Pro-Bowl as a measuring stick.

Everyone KNOWS it's all about the money and very little effort by the athletes.

It's like comparing chocolate to motor oil.....

dfan32

Reaction score
How do you know? Frederick claims he called a play that scored multiple times.
Nice to have a guy that only calls scoring plays!
We should have one of those on the defensive side too!