Official: Kellen Moore made OC, Kitna QB Coach

dfan32

Reaction score
I don't know if Moore being an OC is a good move or a bad move and anyone saying either way is just guessing.

We will have to trust that Dallas knows what they are doing with this move.

The Kitna as a qb coach, I can say after watching some video of some of his philosophies, is a good one.

I can only imagine that Moore has shown a lot in a short amount of time.
Even if they are throwing dung at the wall, it's better than doing nothing.
Might be the greatest move they ever made!
This along with deciding not to extend Garrett for now.

Reactions: Ken

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But there’s no way he has a reputation. At least not one that would be enticing. If he was QB coach for one year for Mahomes, Brees, Goff, ecetera I might buy that there was buzz about him. But there aren’t any results yet to get excited about. If other teams were interested it would have to solely be because he’s young “so let’s talk to him and see if he wows us.”

People need to get beyond the idea that a QB coach is only as good as his QB. That’s not really how it works.

Like on any staff, people know who the high performers are. And the word gets out.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Largely unrelated to coaching is where you are simply wrong my friend. Winning in the playoffs has everything to do with coaching and preparing your team. If you don't see that, it makes sense that you think JG is a good coach.

Maybe. Or maybe there are factors other than coaching that go into winning championships?

At least we’ve moved beyond “Garrett will never be more than a .500 coach.”

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Quit using the Pro-Bowl as a measuring stick.

Everyone KNOWS it's all about the money and very little effort by the athletes.

It's like comparing chocolate to motor oil.....

Ok how about wins? 2nd only to Tom Brady in the last 3 years. Ok how about playoffs? 2 out of his first 3 years.

At least I use something more astute than "time to throw" LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maybe. Or maybe there are factors other than coaching that go into winning championships?

At least we’ve moved beyond “Garrett will never be more than a .500 coach.”

LOL......oh yah, after 9 years he finally has a regular season record above 500. Small miracles.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL......oh yah, after 9 years he finally has a regular season record above 500. Small miracles.

3 of 5 NFCE titles. Winningest team in NFC last three seasons under Dak. Not so small.

The only beef left is if people actually think coaching is the reason we’re losing playoff games in the divisional round. (Its not, but since people always reflexively blame the coach and QB, that won’t stop some fans from complaining).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
3 of 5 NFCE titles. Winningest team in NFC last three seasons under Dak. Not so small.

The only beef left is if people actually think coaching is the reason we’re losing playoff games in the divisional round. (Its not, but since people always reflexively blame the coach and QB, that won’t stop some fans from complaining).

Left? You mean on your low standard, dumbed down checklist?

Lets go over my checklist:

Great football mind: F
Offensive genius: F
Innovator: F
Great scheme: F
Great play caller: F
Great at finding the weakness in the defense and exploiting it: F
Drawing up the game plan: F
Talent evaluator: F
In game adjustments: F
Coaching hiring and evaluation: F
Clock management: F
Risk taking: F
Pushing the buttons team attitude: C
Accountability: F
Team talent vs results: C-
Big game results/win or go home games: D

Likeable to players and piers: A
Playing the role: A
Faking it: A
Chemistry: B-

And your happy why? Because the team has had 3 winning seasons in a row and made the playoffs twice?

Ill say thats better then what he usually has done. 3 winning seasons in a row is a new bar for Garrett. But still a low one. He was wildly out coached in the Rams game. It was horrifying to watch. But I guess its nice that at least we made the playoffs and won a game. I can give some credit there.

Personally I think the talent is getting better and Dak is a winner and is making the difference. But I will confess that I was impressed with his 2nd half of the year coaching if only a change in the way he was more aggressive in games.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Left? You mean on your low standard, dumbed down checklist?

Lets go over my checklist:

Great football mind: F
Offensive genius: F
Innovator: F
Great scheme: F
Great play caller: F
Great at finding the weakness in the defense and exploiting it: F
Drawing up the game plan: F
Talent evaluator: F
In game adjustments: F
Coaching hiring and evaluation: F
Clock management: F
Risk taking: F
Pushing the buttons team attitude: C
Accountability: F
Team talent vs results: C-
Big game results/win or go home games: D

Likeable to players and piers: A
Playing the role: A
Faking it: A
Chemistry: B-

And your happy why? Because the team has had 3 winning seasons in a row and made the playoffs twice?

Ill say thats better then what he usually has done. 3 winning seasons in a row is a new bar for Garrett. But still a low one. He was wildly out coached in the Rams game. It was horrifying to watch. But I guess its nice that at least we made the playoffs and won a game. I can give some credit there.

Personally I think the talent is getting better and Dak is a winner and is making the difference. But I will confess that I was impressed with his 2nd half of the year coaching if only a change in the way he was more aggressive in games.

Ignoring your checklist because it’s written with a crayon. My standard is actually a lot higher than yours since I’m advocating addressing the actual issues that have kept us from advancing in the playoffs and not phantom knee-jerk causes. I want the team to get better. That requires addressing the actual limiting issues.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Let me ask you a simple question:

Obviously Jerry and Stephen and probably Garrett all decided that Moore should be calling the plays. This is a kid that they all say is very smart, but he has no experience doing it. He was basically a backup QB for 5 years and then a QB coach for one. This was basically Garrett 14 years ago. A supposed offensive guru.

What does that say about Jason Garrett if they would prefer Moore calling the plays and running the offense on gameday?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ignoring your checklist because it’s written with a crayon. My standard is actually a lot higher than yours since I’m advocating addressing the actual issues that have kept us from advancing in the playoffs and not phantom knee-jerk causes. I want the team to get better. That requires addressing the actual limiting issues.

How is your standard higher than mine when Garrett is good enough for you? That's laughable.

In this case ignorance is not bliss, ignorance is just plain ignorance.

Just because you cant see that Garrett is a huge problem doesnt mean that Garrett isnt a huge problem. Former players like Dez have come out talking about how he needs to get fired and he is a problem. And dont say Dez isnt qualified to have an opinion. After all he is in your signature is he not? I guess we REALLY know what Dez thinks of Garrett. The same thing that many say about Garrett. He needs to go.

Heck even the FO has acknowledged indirectly that Garrett is a problem. They have fired linehan and are bring in a greenhorn to try and liven up the offense. (bring in some new and innovative ideas)

Thats because Garrett doesnt have any. LOL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is your standard higher than mine when Garrett is good enough for you? That's laughable.

In this case ignorance is not bliss, ignorance is just plain ignorance.

Just because you cant see that Garrett is a huge problem doesnt mean that Garrett isnt a huge problem. Former players like Dez have come out talking about how he needs to get fired and he is a problem. And dont say Dez isnt qualified to have an opinion. After all he is in your signature is he not? I guess we REALLY know what Dez thinks of Garrett. The same thing that many say about Garrett. He needs to go.

Heck even the FO has acknowledged indirectly that Garrett is a problem. They have fired linehan and are bring in a greenhorn to try and liven up the offense. (bring in some new and innovative ideas)

Thats because Garrett doesnt have any. LOL

My standard is higher than yours because I’m advocating fixing the problems with the team. Whereas you’ve bought hook line and sinker into a scapegoat improvement that won’t actually fix anything. I’m looking for Superbowls. You’re standing on a soapbox hoping for another iteration of the status quo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My standard is higher than yours because I’m advocating fixing the problems with the team. Whereas you’ve bought hook line and sinker into a scapegoat improvement that won’t actually fix anything. I’m looking for Superbowls. You’re standing on a soapbox hoping for another iteration of the status quo.

So because I think Garrett is horrid that means I dont want SB's? LOL

Your Garrett apologies just get weirder and weirder. With Garrett we have changed out the coaches twice over, the players, QB, defense, offense. The ONLY two constants in the last 10 years have been Garrett and Jones.

The problem with you is quite clear. You obviously dont value the importance of coaching. Therefore your satisfied with the hapless Garrett. And EVERY excuse becomes what Garrett doesnt have around him.

This team has several big issues. But none bigger then the hapless Garrett. Now if you want to say Jones is the bigger issue because he continues to hire puppets like Garrett, then you will get no argument from me.

So WHAT issues do YOU focus on? A TE, Safety? LOL