News: Official: Randy Gregory suspended 10 more games

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Funny-weed-pic-43.jpeg

Blake

Reaction score
I stand by my preseason prediction. He will never play another down of NFL football.

Meanwhile, the Patriots built their success of the way they drafted. One of the most important methods involved their beleive that the 2nd round was critical.

Before the rookie salary cap they often traded a first rounder because they felt rookies were overpayed in proportion to their actual productivity. They relied on a surplus of 2nd rounders reasoning that they would very good players without the salary and occasional elite attutude.

During the past 10 drafts they have had 16 2nd rounders, 13 2nd rounders. They had 8 1st rounders.

Well this is depressing to read when contrasted with the way Dallas handles their second round. So much logic and sound reason in this approach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I stand by my preseason prediction. He will never play another down of NFL football.

Meanwhile, the Patriots built their success of the way they drafted. One of the most important methods involved their beleive that the 2nd round was critical.

Before the rookie salary cap they often traded a first rounder because they felt rookies were overpayed in proportion to their actual productivity. They relied on a surplus of 2nd rounders reasoning that they would very good players without the salary and occasional elite attutude.

During the past 10 drafts they have had 16 2nd rounders, 13 2nd rounders. They had 8 1st rounders.

Patriots suck at drafting though. They are where they are at because of their head coach. No way around it. Its not because of drafting or because of free agency.....its because of their head coach.

Plankton

Reaction score

As good as Bill Belichick is with finding roles for guys within his team, his drafting record is actually pretty poor.

Look at the picks over the last ten years - he has whiffed on a truck load of guys, without a significant amount of hits.

The key with him, though, is that he knows when to cut bait.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Gregory will play again. It might be a year or two down the road, but I think there's clearly a chance it won't ever be for the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How are those states stupid? I bet you think alcohol is ok

I think anything that can make you a slave to it is not a good thing. Saying well if they make weed legal Gregory problem are gone? he has an addiction problem, he does not seem to be able to handle it even to the point of putting his career at risk. How is what a good thing?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The Browns have finally moved on from Josh Gordon. I suspect the Cowboys will be doing the same thing with Gregory next year. Unless the NFL quits testing for weed. The NFL allowing weed is the only thing that can 'save' Gregory's career in the NFL.

And it is not just Gordon and Gregory and Martavius Bryant. Every team has at least a few stars who have managed to game the system so far. There are a lot of players coming out of college now and in the future who are either heavy or recreational users of weed.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The media is scared of Jerry and asking the hard questions. They fear his power.

The local media and national media alike. They've barely started criticizing Garrett, but they always stop there. Unless you count their passive aggressive "Jerry is the coach, not Garrett" spiel. But it never goes deeper. People are asked about Jerry and they are scared to answer, they just laugh and shrug it off.

His ineptness is the elephant in the room, yet people are scared of the dude. Even Big Sports Media.

superonyx

Reaction score
I love how this team pisses away 2nd round picks every year like they are skittles. Would somebody please tell this organization that the second round is not a freebie round where you can take fliers on players with drug addictions and injuries.

Seriously, in like the last 10 years the only guy we have gotten in the 2nd round that turned out to be stud is Sean Lee and even he has durability issues, that is why they even put an injury clause in his 2nd contract.
I agree to a point.
I don't think the team feels the 2nd round is a freebie round. I think the team just feels there is generally a huge talent gap between the 1st round and 2nd round so they have been willing to risk the 2nd round pick to ultimately end up with 1st round talent.
Its not fair to compare Gregory with Jaylon Smith except both guys were top 10 first round talents.
People get worked up over Gregory not working out and that spills over to Jaylon Smith. With Gregory he was drafted pretty late into the third round. I haven't taken the time to look but were any quality DE's drafted after Gregory that we missed on due to Gregory?

plasticman

Reaction score
As good as Bill Belichick is with finding roles for guys within his team, his drafting record is actually pretty poor.

Look at the picks over the last ten years - he has whiffed on a truck load of guys, without a significant amount of hits.

The key with him, though, is that he knows when to cut bait.
I really think most teams are about even when it comes to evaluating talent. However, the Patriots give themselves extra opportunities through maximizing value by their trades and cutting their losses quickly like you say.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
And it is not just Gordon and Gregory and Martavius Bryant. Every team has at least a few stars who have managed to game the system so far. There are a lot of players coming out of college now and in the future who are either heavy or recreational users of weed.

75% + of NFL players smoke.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Randy's suspended for 10 more games, you say? H-m-m, that'll teach him to smoke pot again and again and again. Well, I hope so, anyhow. :rolleyes:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
So Randy's suspended for 10 more games, you say? H-m-m, that'll teach him to smoke pot again and again and again. Well, I hope so, anyhow . . . :rolleyes:

I'm hoping right along with you, whether or not it's in vain :(

csirl

Reaction score
Weed and alcohol are banned in competition for H&S reasons. You can't have high or drunk players playing a sport where split second reactions are the difference between being ok and paralysis.

I'm not familiar with what exactly NFL bans out of competition, but WADA doesn't ban weed or alcohol out of competition for football. NFL is generally a lot less strict than WADA.

Two questions :

1. Is he banned due to a failed in competition test from last season?

2. What was he banned for?

Generally speaking anti-doping agencies are not permitted to publicise the reasons for a failed test without the players permission. Not sure if NFL does same, but if so, then how do we know why he failed?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm hoping right along with you, whether or not it's in vain :(

I hear ya -- I dunno what they might have said to him at that help center that he attended but whatever it was, here's hoping he listened.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Weed and alcohol are banned in competition for H&S reasons. You can't have high or drunk players playing a sport where split second reactions are the difference between being ok and paralysis.

I'm not familiar with what exactly NFL bans out of competition, but WADA doesn't ban weed or alcohol out of competition for football. NFL is generally a lot less strict than WADA.

Two questions :

1. Is he banned due to a failed in competition test from last season?

2. What was he banned for?

Generally speaking anti-doping agencies are not permitted to publicise the reasons for a failed test without the players permission. Not sure if NFL does same, but if so, then how do we know why he failed?

Gregory either failed tests (several times) or didn't attend the testing when ordered to. Either way, in the NFL if you do that, you're guilty of a violation. Do it several times and you get banned from participation in football games and practice. He did so several times.

Last edited: