***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Anybody here into documentaries? Watched 9/11: Inside the President’s War Room on Apple TV and it was really really good. It was interesting to see behind the scenes on how the president's day unfolded when 9-11 occurred. It kind of shined a new light on Bush for me.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
As an anime (even cartoon) fan, I enjoy quality voicework. It has been really nice hearing the real Chadwick Boseman in three of the What If..? episodes so far, with two more with him to go.

It reminds me of Ed Asner's voicework. Both actors delivered good professional performing all the way to the end.
:clap:
I agree. Hearing him again is great. The returning characters’ voice work is by far my favorite part of this series.
I couldn't agree more. The best part of the episode was Boseman as T'Challa...
Appreciated the receiving of his body part and his speech in the Ancestral Plane.
7YWPuKG.gif
Although it was about T'Challa, it felt it like it was meant for Chadwick Boseman.

I completely agree.
And it’s clear that nothing that happens in this series is canon or has any lasting impact on anything else. It’s Marvel meets the Twilight Zone and characters are killed off indiscriminately because none of it matters.
I like your comparison to the Twilight Zone and mostly agree with it. However...
It does appear that the variants will be interacting with other multiverse variants.
Z5SBuMc.gif
I don't remember if any episodes of the Twilight Zone had character crossovers.

I see it as just filler until the next series hits. Marvel seems to be intentionally steering clear of live action while their films are in theaters. But I’m still wondering what fills the gap between this series and Hawkeye on Nov 24th?
I don't know, maybe they'll us it to hype up the Eternals release on November 5th?

What if I don't watch it? Think I'll be OK?
I think if any variant from What If...? makes it into a MCU movie, they'll explain it. You'll be OK. Also, I hope you'll be okay after surgery in a couple weeks. I wish you a speedy recovery, @CouchCoach.:thumbup:

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I couldn't agree more. The best part of the episode was Boseman as T'Challa...
Appreciated the receiving of his body part and his speech in the Ancestral Plane.
7YWPuKG.gif
Although it was about T'Challa, it felt it like it was meant for Chadwick Boseman.

I like your comparison to the Twilight Zone and mostly agree with it. However...
It does appear that the variants will be interacting with other multiverse variants.
Z5SBuMc.gif
I don't remember if any episodes of the Twilight Zone had character crossovers.

I don't know, maybe they'll us it to hype up the Eternals release on November 5th?

I think if any variant from What If...? makes it into a MCU movie, they'll explain it. You'll be OK. Also, I hope you'll be okay after surgery in a couple weeks. I wish you a speedy recovery, @CouchCoach.:thumbup:
Thanks, Juggsy.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am almost done with Season 4 of "The Last Kingdom". Surprisingly I really like this show. It is actually following real historical events from 900s Britain, although the story is obviously fiction. There really was an Alfred the Great, Aethelwold, and a bunch of other characters portrayed in the series, but the main character Uhtred is fictional. The Danes did try to conquer Britain and they were a particularly brutal band of warriors.

The show mixes fact and fiction pretty well, using history as a guide and making up most of the story. I liked season 2 and 3 best. Season 4 not as much but it is still a good story to follow.

Did anyone watch "The Defeated" on Netflix? That's next on my list.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I am almost done with Season 4 of "The Last Kingdom". Surprisingly I really like this show. It is actually following real historical events from 900s Britain, although the story is obviously fiction. There really was an Alfred the Great, Aethelwold, and a bunch of other characters portrayed in the series, but the main character Uhtred is fictional. The Danes did try to conquer Britain and they were a particularly brutal band of warriors.

The show mixes fact and fiction pretty well, using history as a guide and making up most of the story. I liked season 2 and 3 best. Season 4 not as much but it is still a good story to follow.

I like The Last Kingdom as well. Sadly, there will only be one more season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anybody here into documentaries? Watched 9/11: Inside the President’s War Room on Apple TV and it was really really good. It was interesting to see behind the scenes on how the president's day unfolded when 9-11 occurred. It kind of shined a new light on Bush for me.
Ill check that out. I thought the Netflix one they did on GWOT was trash. Too much human interest, not enough meat

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Watched He's All That on Netflix. Since I had seen the original back when it was released I figured I would see what they did with the story. It was ok. The updates make sense in today's world. Plus it has Rachael Leigh Cook in it (paying a new role). I'm ok with that.

While not a Netflix original I also watched SAS: Rise of the Black Swan. Also an ok movie. Probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again or anything.
Rachael Leigh Cook is an an underrated hottie

Big_D

Reaction score

I liked Alfred. It's a little different with his son in charge. They really got use out of the name Aethel.... . Ton of characters Stan, Wold, Wolf, Fled, red. You can basically add anything. lol Great show. Looking forward to the final season.

Creeper

Reaction score
I liked Alfred. It's a little different with his son in charge. They really got use out of the name Aethel.... . Ton of characters Stan, Wold, Wolf, Fled, red. You can basically add anything. lol Great show. Looking forward to the final season.

It was some kind of standard back them to show royal lineage. There actually were real people by those names. Aethelred was actually the name of Alfred's brother, and Aethelwold was Aethelred's son in real life. There was also an Aethelwulf, although his fate and story in the show is very different that the real Aethelwulf. I don't recall an Aethefled from my reading but it is possible she existed. The English kept pretty good records of history from early on but I am not sure the kings allowed to much truth to be written. Fake news was invented centuries ago.

I have always had an interest in British, or English history, at least up until modern times.

Big_D

Reaction score
It was some kind of standard back them to show royal lineage. There actually were real people by those names. Aethelred was actually the name of Alfred's brother, and Aethelwold was Aethelred's son in real life. There was also an Aethelwulf, although his fate and story in the show is very different that the real Aethelwulf. I don't recall an Aethefled from my reading but it is possible she existed. The English kept pretty good records of history from early on but I am not sure the kings allowed to much truth to be written. Fake news was invented centuries ago.

I have always had an interest in British, or English history, at least up until modern times.

Same here. History in general.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Netflix had three good ones I watched recently. They may still be in their "New" section.

- One was about the feudal history of Japan. I can't remember the title. It's in the same format as "The Men Who Built America" and other fun multi-episode series that combine documentary with some high production value reenactments.
- Same format for the second one which was a history of Cuba. I didn't know much about Cuba other than the standard Bay of Pigs-Cuban Missile Crisis-Fidel Castro stuff, so that was very informative, although not nearly as fun as feudal Japan.
- The other was "How to be a Dictator" which has a lot of fun with itself but I think is required viewing these days with so many people from ALL political spectrums these days so willing to give up their democracy.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Watched the 7th episode of What If...? and it was fun with some decent action...
But it's main purpose was the ending, to tease why the variants band together...
hIvYAsb.gif
:dance:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched the 7th episode of What If...? and it was fun with some decent action...
But it's main purpose was the ending, to tease why the variants band together...
hIvYAsb.gif
:dance:

This was BY FAR my favorite episode of the series so far.

I was once again impressed by how many of the original actors they were able to get back to do voice work. Brie Larson was the only notable exception for me.
And this episode wasn't dark and dour like so many of the others, I appreciated the lighter tone.

As for that last sequence, that's an interesting theory which did not occur to me. I just took it as a kind of a one-off joke to darken what was otherwise a fun episode essentially poking fun at themselves. It never occurred to me that it might lead to a bigger picture connection between the episodes. It will be interesting to see if that comes to pass.

But I was very down on this series and this latest episode will keep me watching at least another week. I consider that a win.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Love that one. Fun fact, the author of the books that the series is based on is a distant relative to Uhtred the Bold.