***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I sort of enjoyed the new wave of comedians present for this one. Still a lot of the Comedy Central Roast classics in it too. Rest of the comedians have caught up to old favorites like Jeff Ross and Greg Giraldo.

Probably one of my favorite roasts since they started coming back. Brutal on Kim Kardashian and Gronk.
Gronk was terrible. Nikki Glaser crushed it.

Creeper

Reaction score
Hiroyuki Sanada signs on for Shogun Season 2. I knew it would happen! Let's Go!

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/sh...enewal-hiroyuki-sanada-signs-deal-1235998746/
I am not sure what they could do with season 2 considering more of the best characters from season 1 would be gone. Sanada is a great actor and a strong character but if it is just him and Cosmo Jarvis, who I think was badly cast in this series, they have a serious mountain to climb to repeat the epic success of season 1.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am not sure what they could do with season 2 considering more of the best characters from season 1 would be gone. Sanada is a great actor and a strong character but if it is just him and Cosmo Jarvis, who I think was badly cast in this series, they have a serious mountain to climb to repeat the epic success of season 1.
The #1 character wouldn't be there. TBH, I would have stopped watching, had the finale not been the next episode.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would have to be away from the book.

At first I thought maybe it would be a good series if it dealt with a young Toranaga. However since it mentioned bringing back blackthorne it would indicate it being after the season.

Oh and others have indicated...the guy playing blackthorn sucked.

Also this miniseries missed so many key points like Blackthorn saving Toranaga multiple times. Toranaga not only making him his Hatamoto, vassel, but also making him Samurai. After becoming samurai he got his own samurai as well. They pretty much ignored another character in Rodrigo who was a Portuguese captain that worked on the Black ship but was a friend to blacktorn.

It did not really show how Omi and Blackthorn started off with Omi peeing on blackthorns back as a retribution of blackthorns disrespect...only to later having blackthorn being giving a courtesan as reward for becoming samurai. A courtesan that was in love with Omi. So he gave Omi the courtesan. Showing how their relationship had changed.

rags747

Reaction score
RIPLEY, have the final episode tonight. Love that it is in black/white, definitely adds another dimension to it. Going to Italy in Oct, God I hope they do not have all of those steps!

Creeper

Reaction score
I started watching Black Sails on Netflix. I didn't watch it when it was on Starz. I am not sure what to make of it. But some pirate dude wearing designer sunglasses has me wondering where this show is going. Of course some crude sun shades existing long before the early 18th century, but nothing like the ones Captain Vane's Quartermaster was wearing in episode 3. At first I thought it might be a blooper but clearly this was part of his 1715 pirate garb.

I will keep watching but so far I can't really get into this pirates themed story.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I started watching Black Sails on Netflix. I didn't watch it when it was on Starz. I am not sure what to make of it. But some pirate dude wearing designer sunglasses has me wondering where this show is going. Of course some crude sun shades existing long before the early 18th century, but nothing like the ones Captain Vane's Quartermaster was wearing in episode 3. At first I thought it might be a blooper but clearly this was part of his 1715 pirate garb.

I will keep watching but so far I can't really get into this pirates themed story.
I liked it, but it went off the rails a bit toward the end.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What is it about that particular series that people like? I know folks that were also psyched about it coming back out.
For me, it's mostly nostalgia...and as cartoons go, it's pretty well done. People actually die...main characters included...so, it's not a corny, "good always triumphs", talking down to children type of show.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Gronk was terrible. Nikki Glaser crushed it.
I thought Tony Hinchcliffe killed it too and Andrew Schultz did a lot better than I thought he would since he usually isn’t that funny in his podcast interviews.

Most disappointing comedians for me was probably the Burt Kreischer Tom Segura team up.

Drew Bledsoe, even though you could tell he was nervous as hell, had a good set and good writer.

Bill Belichick was also surprisingly good doing better than almost all his ex-players.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought Tony Hinchcliffe killed it too and Andrew Schultz did a lot better than I thought he would since he usually isn’t that funny in his podcast interviews.

Most disappointing comedians for me was probably the Burt Kreischer Tom Segura team up.

Drew Bledsoe, even though you could tell he was nervous as hell, had a good set and good writer.

Bill Belichick was also surprisingly good doing better than almost all his ex-players.
Yeah, Burt Kreischer seemed to hold Tom Segura back. I've never even heard of that guy. The jokes about him were a lot funnier than the ones from him.

BB had some good jokes. His delivery isn't fantastic, but it was a lot better than I expected, and much better than most of the players.

Bledsoe was far and away the best of the athletes. Like you said, he was clearly nervous, but he did pretty well anyway.

I think that was the best set I've ever seen from Nikki. She was absolutely on.

Kevin Hart (who I do like) was a bit annoying, walking around during everyone else's sets. I don't know if he was acting drunk, or if he really was, but he definitely shouldn't drink in those situations.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yeah, Burt Kreischer seemed to hold Tom Segura back. I've never even heard of that guy. The jokes about him were a lot funnier than the ones from him.

BB had some good jokes. His delivery isn't fantastic, but it was a lot better than I expected, and much better than most of the players.

Bledsoe was far and away the best of the athletes. Like you said, he was clearly nervous, but he did pretty well anyway.

Kevin Hart (who I do like) was a bit annoying, walking around during everyone else's sets. I don't know if he was acting drunk, or if he really was, but he definitely shouldn't drink in those situations.
Burt Kreischer used to have a show on the documentary channels where he would go on the scariest thrill rides he could find. I really enjoyed it. But that’s about all I’ve ever seen of him. Definitely seen more of Segura’s standup.

I thought Kevin Hart did a good job giving people real props when they did well, and he also helped reign in Gronk who was going crazy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man! X-MEN '97 just keeps getting darker! I love it!!
They are sticking to previously published source material. And not dumbing it down to the junior high level that its Saturday morning cartoon predecessor was forced to do. My only issue is the fact they are mashing together several classic X-Men storylines together for the first season--although I am certain only nerds like me can discern them, lol.

You are right though. It is not exclusive to mutant comic books alone but the most tragic plots are found in those particular titles. Genocide. Mass scale cultural apathy. Genetic experimentation and manipulation. Apocalyptic futures. Stuff that runs counter to site rules' discussion. Usually, Marvel has taken from the darkest examples of humanity's history and allowed the mutant characters explore them in print. In my opinion, the series would be even better if it ever got that dark. Not sure if Disney would agree to that course for a show that is essentially animation.

The pacing is too fast but the episodes been constructed really well. This first season has been more than I had hoped for. The third and final part of the season finale is this Wednesday. I could be wrong but I think the show has been leading its audience straight into Marvel Comics' infamous Onslaught storyline as its cliffhanger. Stay tuned.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They are sticking to previously published source material. And not dumbing it down to the junior high level that its Saturday morning cartoon predecessor was forced to do. My only issue is the fact they are mashing together several classic X-Men storylines together for the first season--although I am certain only nerds like me can discern them, lol.

You are right though. It is not exclusive to mutant comic books alone but the most tragic plots are found in those particular titles. Genocide. Mass scale cultural apathy. Genetic experimentation and manipulation. Apocalyptic futures. Stuff that runs counter to site rules' discussion. Usually, Marvel has taken from the darkest examples of humanity's history and allowed the mutant characters explore them in print. In my opinion, the series would be even better if it ever got that dark. Not sure if Disney would agree to that course for a show that is essentially animation.

The pacing is too fast but the episodes been constructed really well. This first season has been more than I had hoped for. The third and final part of the season finale is this Wednesday. I could be wrong but I think the show has been leading its audience straight into Marvel Comics' infamous Onslaught storyline as its cliffhanger. Stay tuned.
BTW, it was also cool to see a couple of characters I've never associated with the X-Men before. I'm sure you do, but I'm not quite the nerd about it that you are.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Listened to an interview with Bledsoe and he said he wrote his jokes, but said his wife wrote one of the jokes. He replaced one of his jokes with hers, since she thought it went to far, but wouldn't say which joke was hers or what the original joke was about.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Segura said roasting isn't his thing and he was initially inclined to turn down being a part of the Brady roast. I find his podcast and his specials very funny. I'm a fan. Not a fan of Kreischer. I've given him a chance, but he does not amuse me. He is annoying.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
What is it about that particular series that people like? I know folks that were also psyched about it coming back out.
I never watched the original series, but have enjoyed watching this one. The animation isn't great, guess it's a nod to the old 90's style, and don't care for some of the voice actors, Rogue just sounds weird, but the story is pretty good and a lot darker and more mature than I expected. I find it kinda ironic that a cartoon has a more mature tone and less cartoonish than their movies have become.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I watched the roast Friday night, it was pretty over the top and raunchy. It really wasn’t funny due to the nastiness but Nikki did nail it. I got excited to see Ron Burgandy come out but he was terrible. He needs to stop making comedies…:facepalm: