***Official Tired of Talking TO Thread***

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Which team has he helped win even 1 Super Bowl so far?

None!!!!! I get a kick out of hearing how TO just wants a SB as if he is the only player in the NFL who wants a ring as if that is justification for his behavior. Wake up call all players would love to get the ring and if you have a player who does not want the ring then that player needs to be released.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Ravi your only listing thing you know in the press according to the eagles there is more than what has been written but of course they would not get into details with the hearing still pending.

So I still wonder about the official reasons-- on the surface it is unjustified. Terrell Owens hasn't broken any rules, and that's what long-term suspensions are for.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
So I still wonder about the official reasons-- on the surface it is unjustified. Terrell Owens hasn't broken any rules, and that's what long-term suspensions are for.

I'm sure the eagles and the NFL will present their case during the hearing.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
This article expresses my exact feelings on the whole topic (EXCERPTS):

Terrell Owens is, plainly, a narcissist. He can't even apologize to the Philadelphia Eagles without talking about himself. The Eagles don't buy his apology and have concluded that he should play football somewhere else. Better yet, maybe he should be self-employed.

Narcissism is not a crime. If that's Owens's worst offense, why are the Eagles dealing so harshly with him? Owens and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, seem baffled that the Eagles are unforgiving. They have filed a union grievance, and protest that he has not been arrested, he doesn't have a rap sheet, nor has he broken any rules. But that's how fed up the Eagles are with Owens -- they'd apparently sooner keep a felon. Until Owens understands that narcissism is possibly as damaging to a team as criminal behavior, he'll be a detriment to any organization he plays for.

The Eagles are perfectly right to get rid of Owens, as any expert in workplace dynamics knows. "He's useless to them," said Richard Boyatzis, an author for the Harvard Business School Press ......It's tempting to look at Owens's receiving statistics and rippling physique, at his talent, energy and abilities, and say that surely the 4-4 Eagles are better off with him than without him. But that would be to underestimate the problem that is Terrell Owens. "He's not really a great player," Boyatzis said. "He's technically proficient. But great players can play with others." Owens can't get along with anybody. And while that may not be a contractual violation or a crime, it's intolerable.

Terms like "chemistry" and the saying, "There is no 'I' in team" are idiotically vague bromides. But Owens's unbalanced ego has a very specific and diagnosable effect on others. Narcissistic behavior in the workplace has been studied before, and it's often discussed in terms of "malignancy" for a good reason, because it has a tendency to infect entire buildings. Management experts and prosecutors alike have theorized that corporate narcissism was at least partly responsible for the abuses at Tyco, WorldCom and Enron.

What happened between Owens and the Eagles "was so utterly predictable," said Prof. David Carter, executive director of USC's Sports Business Institute. "What happens with a lot of athletes is they become the most high-profile employee in the organization and there's a sliding scale of tolerance where the coaches or the managers give those athletes, just like star sales people, just enough rope to hang themselves. And by the time they've hung themselves, they've really gone a long way to impacting the morale of the rest of the organization, and done a fine job of contaminating the company in the marketplace."

A football team is intensely interdependent -- it's really more of an organism than an organization. Owens's brand of narcissistic behavior is perhaps especially virulent in that framework. According to Sam Vaknin, author of "Malignant Self Love -- Narcissism Revisited," narcissists are disruptive on several levels. They are unable to abide criticism, they work autonomously, refuse to succumb to guidelines. And they provoke intense emotional counter-reactions from colleagues. "They mentally monopolize," he said. No doubt, that will sound familiar to the Eagles.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/09/AR2005110902106.html

NotReally

Reaction score
"So I still wonder about the official reasons-- on the surface it is unjustified. Terrell Owens hasn't broken any rules, and that's what long-term suspensions are for."

The suspension (4 games) is for "conduct detrimental to the team" . . . absolutely justified. The de-activation is to prevent him from causing further problems with the team. Everybody keeps saying this is "double punishment", but how can T.O. say getting his full salary without having to report for work is "punishment". Gee, I wish my boss would "punish" me like that ! LOL!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Anyone have Nader's open letter to Taglibue?

Basically said that the Eagles are infringing on T.O.'s right to free speech. That they should either reinstate him or cut him so he can become a free agent.

I whole heartedly disagree.

This situation is based on more than one comment made by T.O. utilizing free speech. There may be stuff that hasn't even made it out to the public yet. He does have a right to speak his mind and the Eagles have a right to react. T.O. isn't being arrested for speaking.

Nader also said that it is unfair to fans who have paid for tickets to see T.O. I would think most Eagles fans buy tickets to see the team no matter which guys are playing. There may be some that only bought tickets to see T.O. I think they can ask the Eagles orginization for their money back and could win, but I doubt this is a high percentage of ticket holders. The Eagles probably understand that this could be a repurcussion of their decision. That doesn't mean they should let T.O. have whatever he wants.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The players collectively bargained away their "right" to speak out against their own team and their teammates, so Nader's point doesn't apply to the agreed-upon penalty (a four-game suspension).

31smackdown

Reaction score
Great Article...and I agree completely with it. I've seen the same scenario play out in the work environment and as an effect I'm constantly aware of the personalities around me and within any team I work with. You have be very careful in the way that you cater to this personality type in team settings even knowing of it's potential high return if supplemented. It's a very gentle game you play. Everybody is motivated by different things, for some it's money, some security, some a feeling of value, others it's equality. It's the ability to foster those individual needs within a team environment that takes great effort and awareness, so as not to disrupt the balance.

If you look at the way that Parcells handles his players you can learn a lot about team management. Honesty goes a long way, along with giving the player a firm understanding of their individual value to the team, along with where they can improve to be even more valuable.

If you think about it, who's another player potentially of this ilk?..Chad Johnson..just maybe?...What did Marvin Lewis just do?... He gave him a list of how he could be even better than he thinks he already is... something to work towards.. things that included such items as... Make someone else around you a better player... things that foster that team mindset... earlier in the year you also heard that he was mentoring Chris Henry... These players need to be given things to work on... you can't just say, hey..show up, do your own thing and catch touchdowns with all that skill you have. They get bored with that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think Eskimo disagnosed him with narcissistic personality disorder a few days ago.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Someone should tell Nader that The 1st amendment does NOT mean you can say whatever you want about anything with no reprocussions. It says the Govt. can not supress your speech against THE GOVT

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Someone should tell Nader that The 1st amendment does NOT mean you can say whatever you want about anything with no reprocussions. It says the Govt. can not supress your speech against THE GOVT

Nader's a tool... that said, I think that when this whole thing shakes out, TO's going to end up with a certain level of vindication.

There's no way the Eagles end up winning this dispute in a rout... TO will get SOME consession.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
http://img461.*************/img461/7966/owens0if.jpg

Coming to a city near you....