Officially Texas-OU Week!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3023859 said:
OK, but if you look at it from that point of view, isn't Florida and the SEC also flawed? They have nobody in that conference that can throw the ball and take advantage of the secondary. I mean, it's easy to stack the line and shut down the run if your playing for the run. Florida has playen who who can expose a weak secondary? The only team was Arkansas, who would be considered a poor offense in the Big 12 South and they pretty much beat Florida.

I think you gotta look at all sides here Catch. Also, if you rewatch OU, I think you'll be surprised at how much Zero Coverage they played against Texas. OU was selling out for pressure. I was shocked at how open the middle of the field was. If we would have run the Seam route with the TE, I think we could have gotten an easy score on them.

Hey I agree with you about Floridas opponents.

Their schedule is weak this year. If they play Alabama then it will make it a lot tougher.

Im just looking at the matchups that I would see being an advantage and right now i'd say Florida has a better overall defense, they Run the ball well and thats better than anything Texas has shown offensively, and they play great special teams.

We both see the upside Texas has offensively. But it hasn't shown up on the field yet ABQ.

If it's a defensive game than I am taking Florida or Bama over Texas because of their ability to run the ball as of now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3023908 said:
I think the difference in Colt this year and last is experience at the skilled positions. This year, other then Ship, we have young WRs, young TE and young backs with little experience. He's throwing TOs because there are a lot of miss run routes. He's holding back because he doesn't know what the receivers are going to do in any given pattern. As time goes on, he's going to get more tuned with these guys and the passing game will get better. It's just going to take time. His numbers are not going to be as good this year as they have been in years past but, if we go into the Big 12 championship game unbeaten, it's likely that he will have turned in the best performance at QB he's ever had IMO.

I agree with this but until we see it than Texas better be ready for some fights on a week to week basis.

Especially if they carry the "we're a 2nd half team" motto with them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CATCH17;3023912 said:
Hey I agree with you about Floridas opponents.

Their schedule is weak this year. If they play Alabama then it will make it a lot tougher.

Im just looking at the matchups that I would see being an advantage and right now i'd say Florida has a better overall defense, they Run the ball well and thats better than anything Texas has shown offensively, and they play great special teams.

We both see the upside Texas has offensively. But it hasn't shown up on the field yet ABQ.

If it's a defensive game than I am taking Florida or Bama over Texas because of their ability to run the ball as of now.

Well Catch, I guess we just don't see it the same. I don't see Florida as that great an offensive team. Against Arkansas, one of the worst rushing defenses in the Nation, Florida rushed for 136 yards on 46 carries for 3.0.

Bama and Ingram scare me much more then Florida does. Ingram looks like a little Emmitt Smith.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CATCH17;3023928 said:
I agree with this but until we see it than Texas better be ready for some fights on a week to week basis.

Especially if they carry the "we're a 2nd half team" motto with them.

I think this is a bit short sided. Listen, it's not as if every game has been like the OU game. OU clearly had their way with Texas in Colt in the first half but you can't put that on Colt. That, to me, was the offensive play calling. The plays were there. We just were not executing a game plan to take advantage of what OU was doing in the first half.

Colt has had games of the following this year:

317 72.4%
337 63.8%
205 70.6%
286 80.0%
265 82.1%

Tebow's best game of the the season thus far is the Arkansas game.

255 65.4%

The rest of his season, to this point looks like this.

188 66.7%
237 62.5%
115 73.7%
103 50.0%
134 68.8%

If Colts stats looked like this, we would be screaming to have him replaced.

I think we're not really seeing how well Colt is playing because we're expecting him to put up 350 yards, 75% every game.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Great Will Muschamp quote from after the game:

"Is this is Championship defense?"

"Remains to be seen. I'll say this, come at them, and they'll butt you in the throat."

:lmao2:

LONGHORN DEFENSE... THEY'LL THROAT-BUTT YA!!! :banghead:

rkell87

Reaction score
way too many post to respond to.

hate chiles glad he has been replaces colt will be better for now on without the drops from WR.

florida is no diff from USC in '06 all speed, one mistake from them+our D coming up big + our O not turning over the ball=win for the championship. the thing about both of these teams is that they find ways to win. BAMA is what scares me but i think both F and A can beat us but it really is 50/50. our would make the difference between texas and florida who ever rushes for more yars/TDs wins the game.we match up well with anybody in the country but i agree with catch in that colt will have to step up his play and i think he will. that guy is a leader and a winner for real and if we lose any game i wsear it will not be because of him, he is for real and he can be great in the nfl if he is in the right system and i think that might be a west coast system but thats jmo

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Texas holds their own with anyone out there. Texas offense has had some problems but I think that will improve as they move forward. As far as the Texas defense and special teams I don't think they take a back seat to anyone.

StylisticS

Reaction score
CATCH17;3023827 said:
Texas is ok though. They are sitting right where they need to be but Mizzou has the best passing attack they have seen so far.

You think Mizzou has a better passing offense than Tech? I don't know about that one. Mizzou's qb is also hobbling very bad and I don't think he will be that effective considering the Mizzou's oline is worse than both Texas and OU.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
StylisticS;3025515 said:
You think Mizzou has a better passing offense than Tech? I don't know about that one. Mizzou's qb is also hobbling very bad and I don't think he will be that effective considering the Mizzou's oline is worse than both Texas and OU.

I like their talent better than Tech, yes.

I think they are a better overall team. Not by a whole lot though.

I wasn't expecting anything from Mizzou this year but I think they've improved as an entire team in all phases of the game from a year ago.

The big 12 is a better conference this year than it was last year I think. The refs have cracked down on holding and there is actually some defense being played.