Officials had a horrible game too

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
stealth;1207590 said:
if they had called a fraction of the holding and illegal use of the hands that was glaring all night they woulda not scored what they did. They didn't get screwed at all the holding penalties that never got called are a testiment that we got screwed more than they did.
They say there's holding on every play, but some of the holds last night were VERY obvious and considerable. But both teams benefited from no-calls for sure

Go Cowboys!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1207611 said:
Sooner or later?? You mean like the Seahawks in the Super Bowl?

officiating cost them 15 yards in that game, and they were losing anyway. There was only one play in the SB Seattle can whine about, the penalty on Hasslebeck, everything else was legit.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
ghst187;1209275 said:
I just didn't think it was that bad. Had the ball not been thrown there, I bet there wouldn't have been an illegal contact call.
I'm also admittedly a little biased for the defenders, as a former db.
I just thought it was a weak call and watching the replays, it didn't seem to me like the hold was critical to Fasano not catching it. JMO.
I know I see worse uncalled all the time, both on us and for us.

anyway, the bottomline is that there were bad calls aplenty on both teams.
And sure, those are magnified in close games, but I really feel that the officials have sucked worse this year than any time in recent history. Seems like poor officiating has become the norm.
and as Burmafrd suggested, considering how much money the NFL makes, there is no excuse for games to be as poorly officiated as they are. The NFL can EASILY afford to pay officials 6 digits and make them year-round full-time employees, as well as include officiating training camps, exhibition games, practices, film-review, etc.
The officials showed their a** in last year's Superbowl and it changed the outcome. That's inexcusable and should've been a wake-up call to make some changes. There's too much money to have any excuses.

There probably wouldn't have been an illegal contact call because Pierce probably wouldn't have reached out and grabbed Fasano if the ball wasn't coming. It's a clear cut case of PI, it was a good call. One of few.

Bizwah

Reaction score
The PI call was not a bad call. Pierce was beaten, and clearly reached out and grabbed Fasano's arm, pulling him down. I watched that play on my DVR several times.

The play was a TD...easily...Good play by Pierce...he was beaten and did what he had to do. But it was an obvious PI.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It was an obvious PI, db/lbs just can't grab receivers, the only time they should get away with that is if the receiver is also grabbing/shoving the defender.

Aikman really misinformed a lot of fans on the crackback call, its definitely the correct call.

The PI on Henry was just awful, he never grabbed Burress, but Burress actually grabbed Henry and got away with it.

jimmy40

Reaction score
DBoys;1207639 said:
You can see the hands of the defender extend but his body is out of the picture. They had a shot of Austin on the sidelines and it looked like he said I didn't see him raise his hand.
Probably because he didn't wait till the ball was two feet above his head to raise his hand. He actually called for the fair catch the way your supposed to.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Don't know if someone has pointed it out already, but that crackback call, according to ESPN, was the correct call regardless of the commentators' yapping.

The show I was watching today lumped that block in with Plaxico's late hit and their lineman headbutting Hatcher as some of the stupid fouls by the G-Men. They said that anytime a guy lined up outside comes back inside and blocks below the waist, it is a crackback...you don't have to hit the guy in the back, and it doesn't matter that you got in front of him...when coming back inside from an outside position, you have to block above the waste...they claim every player knows that and it was a stupid mistake.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
ghst187;1207664 said:
I thought the hands that Pierce put on Fasano were inconsequential and very weak. I would've been pissed if they had called PI on us for the same and I think everyone here would be pissed too if situation were reversed.
It was a weak call IMO.
I still think it would've been an incompletion. That's my opinion. I respect different ones.

I think you should watch it again...he actually grabbed his arm and had it behind Fazano while the ball was in the air...it wasn't even questionable.

yennor24

Reaction score
About the crackback I was wondering why Troy didn't know that rule that a WR cant come inside the tackle and go low.....Come to think about it how in the hell do I know that rule??????

Kevinicus

Reaction score
yennor24;1209884 said:
About the crackback I was wondering why Troy didn't know that rule that a WR cant come inside the tackle and go low.....Come to think about it how in the hell do I know that rule??????

Probably because TO got called for it against the Skins.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Frankly, I was just pleased not to see an official taking out our defensive backs or seeing Coughlin coerse them into reversing calls.

That alone made me happy.

adamknite

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1207629 said:
I actually thought that Austin was blocked into the punt returner. I'll have to watch it again but they didn't seem to show a good angle of it.

It was close but I think it was Austin's fault, it appeared that he had his head down and just kept running, without paying attention.

However in his defence, that fair catch signal was pretty lame, just threw his arm out there real fast. When you have a blocker in your face and the guy signals for a fair catch way before the ball is even there, it's a little hard to see I'd say.

alancdc

Reaction score
I didn't understand on one of the personal fouls on the Giants why it remained 1st and 10 instead of 1st and 25? They had just made a 1st down, and after the play, I believe it was the Whittfield head butt, they called a personal foul. They moved them back 15, but didn't change it to 1st and 25? Never saw that before where they marked off the yards, but it didn't reflect in the yards to go?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
alancdc;1210252 said:
I didn't understand on one of the personal fouls on the Giants why it remained 1st and 10 instead of 1st and 25? They had just made a 1st down, and after the play, I believe it was the Whittfield head butt, they called a personal foul. They moved them back 15, but didn't change it to 1st and 25? Never saw that before where they marked off the yards, but it didn't reflect in the yards to go?

It was a dead ball foul, after the play, so they lost the yardage, but still first and 10...just like when you have a penalty on change of possession.

alancdc

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1210284 said:
It was a dead ball foul, after the play, so they lost the yardage, but still first and 10...just like when you have a penalty on change of possession.

10-4. Did not realize that.

ghst187

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1209674 said:
I think you should watch it again...he actually grabbed his arm and had it behind Fazano while the ball was in the air...it wasn't even questionable.

I think YOU should watch it again.
I'm not sure what happened between the two players prior to Fasano getting to the 5 yard line but all Pierce did was put a hand on Fasano's shoulder and hit his arm. He didn't grab jersey that I could tell, I didn't feel like he really impeded Fasano or caused him to fall.
It was pretty weak.