Officials had a horrible game too

joseephuss

Reaction score
ghst187;1207664 said:
I thought the hands that Pierce put on Fasano were inconsequential and very weak. I would've been pissed if they had called PI on us for the same and I think everyone here would be pissed too if situation were reversed.
It was a weak call IMO.
I still think it would've been an incompletion. That's my opinion. I respect different ones.

I respect your opinion, but I didn't see it as Pierce just putting his hands on Fasano. He grabbed Fasano's arm and pulled him. Twice. That could have been the difference in Fasano getting to the ball. The ball was suprisingly close to Fasano as is.

I would be pissed if the situation were reversed in that I don't like when the defense lets the offense get behind them and they have to rely on grabbing them instead of having good position and turning to fight for the ball.

Little Jr

Reaction score
ghst187;1207664 said:
I thought the hands that Pierce put on Fasano were inconsequential and very weak. I would've been pissed if they had called PI on us for the same and I think everyone here would be pissed too if situation were reversed.
It was a weak call IMO.
I still think it would've been an incompletion. That's my opinion. I respect different ones.

I dont really see what you are seeing. It was obvious PI and probally would had been completed if he didnt PI.

khiladi

Reaction score
The refs blew , especially on the first TD pass by Eli... Dallas' defensive linemen was clearly held, and was clearly going to pummel Eli before he released the ball... They showed a replay of Ware getting double-teamed and there was a blatant hands to the face against him... And Aikman didn't even mention it... The Giants offensive line was getting away with so much crap...

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
The crackback was a bogus call.

Henry's interference call was a bad call, as was the interference call on Fasano in the endzone.

I actually thought that the RW no call was legit. At full speed, it is impossible to make that call. The super slowmo showed that Roy was a little early, but a full speed it looked like he made the hit same time as the ball.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
khiladi;1207802 said:
The refs blew , especially on the first TD pass by Eli... Dallas' defensive linemen was clearly held, and was clearly going to pummel Eli before he released the ball... They showed a replay of Ware getting double-teamed and there was a blatant hands to the face against him... And Aikman didn't even mention it... The Giants offensive line was getting away with so much crap...

You can find a holding call on nearly every passing play in the NFL. If the refs called that straight up we'd have 5 hour long games. You have to do something very serious to get called. It has pretty much always been that way.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
NorthTexan95;1207951 said:
The crackback was a correct call. Check the official rules.

Interesting....

Crackback: Eligible receivers who take or move to a position more than two yards outside the tackle may not block an opponent below the waist if they then move back inside to block.

conner01

Reaction score
the crackback was the correct call. a wr can't line up outside and block a guy on the line below the waist.

SAboys889

Houstonboys13
Reaction score
Very good post and I agree with all of your view points. Like you said, the refs were not favoring one team over another; there were just a lot of bad calls. The "holding" penalties that should have been called were ridiculous. I couldn't believe that they couldn't see the OL holding Ware on several plays.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Remember in the first game against the Skins Owens got called for the same crackback penalty.

I thought it was below the knee, but it's actually below the waist.

On the drive where NYG went down and Dallas stopped them to kick a field goal and tie the score 13-13, there were TWO blatant holding calls that went missed. One was on a blitz from Ayodele where and the other was on a screen pass to Tiki were Fergy was held really badly.

Roy should've been called for a PI on Shockey, but then again Henry should've never been called for a PI on Burress. It was pretty poorly officiated all around, but Goodell has more pressing issues to take care of, like making sure fans don't video clips on YouTube.

YAKUZA

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1208022 said:
It was pretty poorly officiated all around, but Goodell has more pressing issues to take care of, like making sure fans don't video clips on YouTube.

YAKUZA

I see the sarcasm and think you're wrong.

The online posting of copyrighted material is the major issue facing the NFL.

The NFL is as successful as it is due to fan interest thanks to gambling and fantasy. The only way to capitalize and make as much money as possible is through the ludicrous amounts of money that the networks who carry the games and DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket pay.

The NFL has to draw the line somewhere at their material being available for "free" on the internet. How many would pay for the Sunday Ticket if every game was openly available for nothing? That's what's next if the NFL doesn't crack down now.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
ghst187;1207559 said:
I really don't think the officiating was biased in any way, I really don't.
I just think it was flat out bad all around, which IMO, is becoming the norm rather than the anomaly. :mad: I think its time for the NFL to pony up the cash and pay these refs all-year round and force them to get better. They need to quit relying on instant replay and feeling like its a backstop. It seems like the refs hesitate to make calls now.

On us:
The PI call on Henry on 3rd and long was atrocious,
yet we get the no-call when RW hits Shockey a fraction before the ball does
The NYG OL held and held and held, esp held Demarcus Ware in an egregious fashion all game long but I don't remember the NYG getting any holding calls (I saw one of our DL get thrown to the ground and then it looked like the Giants OL player punched him in the throat)
I thought Plax and Shockey got away with a few push-offs
I think the hit on Romo was close to helmet-helmet, seems like they would've called it considering how bad its been called all year
I thought the false start against TO was crap, I don't know how a ref caught that at full speed.
The call that Romo threw a backwards pass to JJ was a dumb call. I'm sad that we had to challenge it to get it overturned.

On them:

the crackback block call was a really horrible call flatout
the PI that was called against whomever was covering Fasano in the endzone was a horrible call

I'm sure there were a few more but it just really seemed like there were a ton of crummy calls

As for the Personal Foul calls, I don't remember any of them not being pretty obvious and warranted. I remember thinking kudos to Keith Davis and one of our OL for NOT retaliating and making it offsetting penalties. For the first time, we looked like the more disciplined team on the field.
The officiating was bad, and in a tight game, you notice it alot more. Bad calls like that happen in most games.

superpunk

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1208088 said:
I see the sarcasm and think you're wrong.

The online posting of copyrighted material is the major issue facing the NFL.

The NFL is as successful as it is due to fan interest thanks to gambling and fantasy. The only way to capitalize and make as much money as possible is through the ludicrous amounts of money that the networks who carry the games and DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket pay.

The NFL has to draw the line somewhere at their material being available for "free" on the internet. How many would pay for the Sunday Ticket if every game was openly available for nothing? That's what's next if the NFL doesn't crack down now.

Ridiculous. Noone's gonna stop tuning in and paying for sunday ticket because they can see clips in a homemade highlight reel posted days later on the internet, from people making no money off of it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The months between Feb and July they can actually be taught what to do and what not to do. As much money as this game generates there is no excuse for the lousy job they do.

ringmaster

Reaction score
ghst187;1207559 said:
I really don't think the officiating was biased in any way, I really don't.
I just think it was flat out bad all around, which IMO, is becoming the norm rather than the anomaly. :mad: I think its time for the NFL to pony up the cash and pay these refs all-year round and force them to get better. They need to quit relying on instant replay and feeling like its a backstop. It seems like the refs hesitate to make calls now.

On us:
The PI call on Henry on 3rd and long was atrocious,
yet we get the no-call when RW hits Shockey a fraction before the ball does
The NYG OL held and held and held, esp held Demarcus Ware in an egregious fashion all game long but I don't remember the NYG getting any holding calls (I saw one of our DL get thrown to the ground and then it looked like the Giants OL player punched him in the throat)
I thought Plax and Shockey got away with a few push-offs
I think the hit on Romo was close to helmet-helmet, seems like they would've called it considering how bad its been called all year
I thought the false start against TO was crap, I don't know how a ref caught that at full speed.
The call that Romo threw a backwards pass to JJ was a dumb call. I'm sad that we had to challenge it to get it overturned.

On them:

the crackback block call was a really horrible call flatout
the PI that was called against whomever was covering Fasano in the endzone was a horrible call

I'm sure there were a few more but it just really seemed like there were a ton of crummy calls

As for the Personal Foul calls, I don't remember any of them not being pretty obvious and warranted. I remember thinking kudos to Keith Davis and one of our OL for NOT retaliating and making it offsetting penalties. For the first time, we looked like the more disciplined team on the field.
That PI on Antonio Pierce, was legit had he not held Fasano in the endzone that was a sure TD pass from Romo.

Even a blind man would called that PI you also say that you would've been pissed if it were a Cowboys player and if it was that would be the correct call on the Cowboys defender too.

I saw the play apparently you didn't to come with such a weak conclusion you cannot convince me otherwise about that call Pierce, held Fasano, in the endzone twice end of story.

ringmaster

Reaction score
joseephuss;1207625 said:
Why do you think the pass interference call was bogus on the Fasano play? The guy grabbed him twice. You can't do that. I thought it was a very obvious call.

The crack back block was an easy call as well. Aikman and Buck were confused and focused on the whether the block was in Ware’s back or front. That doesn’t matter. It is the below the waist part that matters.

4. Crackback: Eligible receivers who take or move to a position more than two yards outside the tackle may not block an opponent below the waist if they then move back inside to block.​

I didn't think the refs missed much at all. Even the lateral call to Julius was close in live speed.
I was thinking the same thing on the PI call on Pierce, we all seen it at least some of us and the camera doesn't lie he held Fasano twice now how was that a weak call as 187 suggest.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ringmaster;1209121 said:
I was thinking the same thing on the PI call on Pierce, we all seen it at least some of us and the camera doesn't lie he held Fasano twice now how was that a weak call as 187 suggest.

I watched the replay again and Pierce's tug on Fasano is what caused Fasano to trip. Fasano still almost got his hands on the ball. If Pierce doesn't grab his arm and pull him, Fasano gets to the ball and who knows, he may catch it and score a TD. Maybe he doesn't and then the Giants have just stopped a TD drive and Dallas has to settle for a FG. It was a bad play by Pierce.

ringmaster

Reaction score
joseephuss;1209139 said:
I watched the replay again and Pierce's tug on Fasano is what caused Fasano to trip. Fasano still almost got his hands on the ball. If Pierce doesn't grab his arm and pull him, Fasano gets to the ball and who knows, he may catch it and score a TD. Maybe he doesn't and then the Giants have just stopped a TD drive and Dallas has to settle for a FG. It was a bad play by Pierce.
It would've been a TD, Romo had good placement with that pass it was on a rope.

ghst187

Reaction score
joseephuss;1209139 said:

I just didn't think it was that bad. Had the ball not been thrown there, I bet there wouldn't have been an illegal contact call.
I'm also admittedly a little biased for the defenders, as a former db.
I just thought it was a weak call and watching the replays, it didn't seem to me like the hold was critical to Fasano not catching it. JMO.
I know I see worse uncalled all the time, both on us and for us.

anyway, the bottomline is that there were bad calls aplenty on both teams.
And sure, those are magnified in close games, but I really feel that the officials have sucked worse this year than any time in recent history. Seems like poor officiating has become the norm.
and as Burmafrd suggested, considering how much money the NFL makes, there is no excuse for games to be as poorly officiated as they are. The NFL can EASILY afford to pay officials 6 digits and make them year-round full-time employees, as well as include officiating training camps, exhibition games, practices, film-review, etc.
The officials showed their a** in last year's Superbowl and it changed the outcome. That's inexcusable and should've been a wake-up call to make some changes. There's too much money to have any excuses.