Offseason Thoughts: Cowboys should have sold high on Prescott

SDCowboy

Reaction score
No, The continued line of thought on this forum that Dak will be fine is what is disturbing.
One's opinion on Dak, and the seeming inability of some to get over Romo are two completely different things.

Swagger

Reaction score
Make a rational point and I might. Don't invoke Aaron Rodgers' absence as a reason for Dak's failing. Dak doesn't play defense, yo

How many points did Matt Ryan put on the Packers Secondary the week after? I hope this helps.

rags747

Reaction score
Anyone have a list of the top qb's coming out in the 2019 draft? We should make it a sticky because I think that is the move we are going to have to make.

Swagger

Reaction score
heck if you want a good guy and a leader, we should see if Tebow wants to come back.. I heard Tim hire a guy to fix his throws too.. :)
Quite.

Some people are so brainless to actually realise what it takes to win a Superbowl.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quite.

Some people are so brainless to actually realise what it takes to win a Superbowl.
Given the Eagles just won the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback with a taylored to fit RPO offense, I would say Cowboys just need a coaching change and Dak will be fine.

I'm happy to blame this on Jerry Jones, though. All the hot offensive mind coaches are taken.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
One's opinion on Dak, and the seeming inability of some to get over Romo are two completely different things.
Just like your inability to get over how wrong you and other Dak slobberers were about Dak? Funny how you are always the first person in these posts, feigning incredulity about how people can’t get over Romo. You’re a repetitive phony. I’m still laughing at your “I’m so glad we have Dak for the next decade” posts before the season.

MrPeanutbutter

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just like your inability to get over how wrong you and other Dak slobberers were about Dak? Funny how you are always the first person in these posts, feigning incredulity about how people can’t get over Romo. You’re a repetitive phony. I’m still laughing at your “I’m so glad we have Dak for the next decade” posts before the season.
If you come out of his first two seasons with "Dak is a bust" or "Dak is a HOFer" you are wrong.

No one is slobbering on Dak. We're telling you you're wrong in you're evaluation.

Swagger

Reaction score
Given the Eagles just won the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback with a taylored to fit RPO offense, I would say Cowboys just need a coaching change and Dak will be fine.

Did you see how many throws Foles fitted into tight windows and what was he, 9/13 on third down and 2/2 on fourth down? He was fantastic.

I agree the coaching is a joke in Dallas and better coaching would assist but you still need a QB who can make some hard throws into tight windows to get it done when it really matters. I do not believe Prescott will ever be capable of doing that even with everything he has around him on offense.

MrPeanutbutter

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did you see how many throws Foles fitted into tight windows and what was he, 9/13 on third down and 2/2 on fourth down? He was fantastic.

I agree the coaching is a joke in Dallas and better coaching would asssit but you still need a QB who can make some hard throws into tight windows to get it done when it really matters. I do not believe Prescott will ever be capable of doing that even with everything he has around him on offense.
At least you said "you do not believe". I appreciate your opinion.

Regardless, the premise of this thread doesn't really work.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every training camp should have open competition, especially for a QB who is massively more talented than your starter and has a longtime pedigree with your franchise.

As a QB mind and arm, Romo can toy with Dak worse than David Carr did.
I get what you are saying. Personally, my posts between August 2016 to present indicate I was in favor of Romo being reinstated as starting quarterback after being medically cleared.

But that's just it. There was zero chance of any competition in the summer of 2017. Absolutely no possibility whatsoever. Despite the logical of your conclusion, Romo told everyone this months in advance. He reconciled that Jones and Garrett ended his career in Dallas in November 2016.

Swagger

Reaction score
On a sidenote, Foles played a sensational game last night and even with a quality front seven to attack Brady, he had to play lights out to beat the Patriots. I haven't seen a QB play at a higher level against Brady in a Superbowl. Fair play to the guy.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
How am I a Dak slobberer? I've said multiple times now that if he doesn't bounce back next season then it's time to move on. And care to find a quote where I said what you claim?

Also, how the hell am I a phony? You sure talk a lot of **** without backing it up with anything.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Wentz isn't a sure thing and neither was Goff, especially after both of their rookie seasons. What changed? Coaching...... Dallas keeps the same coach and well now we get dumb thread after dumb thread about Dak

At the time of the draft, Wentz and Goff were about as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to get. If the Cowboys felt franchise QB was a priority, they'd have moved up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He drew no interest from anyone. Let that sink in.
That's not remotely true.
He just had a VERY short list of places he MIGHT be willing to play.

His top choice was by far to stay in Dallas and compete for the starting job, fair and square.

All other choices were far below that and may have all come up short of getting a once in a decade rare lead commentator role.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The eagles should sell "high" on Foles right now while wentz is recovering in the off season. They could get some good picks for him. I have no doubt

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I strongly believe the Cowboys should have sold high on Prescott last year.

When Romo was healthy and able to return last year, he should have been reinserted into the starting position and I believe we would have gone further in the playoffs as a result. More importantly though, this team that was built around Romo should have sold Prescott to the highest bidder while they could. You probably could have gotten two first round draft picks or a first and a second for Prescott last year.

That would have gone a long way towards infusing talent into the defense.

Instead, we ended up getting nothing for Romo except his dead money against the salary cap. Regardless of how you felt about Romo and Prescott, this was the worst possible outcome. The team went all in on Romo (drafting a running back 4th overall is going all in) and then decided to deviate because of some success Prescott had early in his career. Financially, that was a huge gamble, and while this story has yet to be written, I'm convinced it won't pay off.

I don't want to belabor this argument, we've discussed this ad nauseam, but you now have an offensive crisis where we're saying our receivers and offensive line aren't any good. The same units who in 2014 were among the best in the league and improving.

The offense is extremely cap heavy and isn't nearly as productive as it needs to be (14th in the NFL). Many people will blame the suspension and injury to Smith. So, we're now wholly reliant on two players being healthy and available in order for this team to operate (Elliott and Smith).

Elliott is a running back and is not likely to stay healthy for the duration of his time with the Cowboys. Smith and his back will ONLY get worse. Now we're in a position where we're going to have to re-sign Zach Martin and the offense will become even more salary cap heavy...

Is Prescott going to turn into Brees overnight? If your answer is no, you have to realize this front office needs to make some hard decisions and quickly. Even with improvement, if he can't carry an offense minus a few star players, you can't expect to build around him and have a stout defense.

I think this defense has a lot of potential, but the timing hasn't exactly been perfect. Rather than putting all of our eggs in one basket with Lawrence and Irving, I think it would be prudent to instead focus on rebuilding the defensive line through the draft, similar to what we did with the secondary. Money should be spent on highly reliable free agents. The front seven should be the primary focus on this draft.

Depending on what it would cost to trade for and sign Earl Thomas, I would take a serious look at getting him and moving Jones back to corner. Under Richards, our secondary could become a legitimate unit in the NFL.
a very good observation. I made the same argument last year wanting for Romo to take his starting job back. there is a reason in the NFL, no rookie has ever found success in the playoffs and been to the superbowl. Marino went in his second year, but we are talking about Marino. they got enamoured with winning during the season and forgot about post season. even if Romo played and the winning streak would end, we would have had a better chance in the playoffs, going against a veteran team. very short sighted.

this team is a mess. not sure who to credit any success we have to (luck)?. but the roster is not overly talented. the coaching is stale. the FO is a mess. this defense has huge holes to fill, it has a couple of stars, but the rest of the roster seriously lacks. the offense is predictable, stale. outside of Commanders and browns, not sure who else is worse running a team than Jones and Cowboys.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Will Foles play for another team, though?
Idk. I don't what's in his heart, now he was depressed and even considered retiring to pursue a career as a pastor. Heck after being with Fisher, lots of players turn to God for answers.

My bet is that he wouldn't mind giving it another shot at being the man for some team that's not in shambles. B