OK. Another Mcfadden thread regarding Barber

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Is McFadden that much better than what we have in Barber? I mean, worth all the speculation of trading both #1s to get him? Then what about Barber? What role does he have if we do get McFadden? Does barber go back to being a third down back? I'm sure he would not accept that role well.

Just doesn't make sense unless DMC is all that and a bag of chips. Honestly, I didn't see allot of McFadden at Ark so I am relying on second hand accounts and highlight reel stuff.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think only Hos can answer the questions you seek grasshopper.

Peace to you.

:)

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
This is only my opinion, but McFadden is potentally the next OJ Simpson(thats who he reminds me of) is that worth gambling on I'm not quite sure. But his potential ceiling is a bit higher than Barber's IMO.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
4lifecowboy;2037114 said:
This is only my opinion, but McFadden is potentally the next OJ Simpson(thats who he reminds me of) is that worth gambling on I'm not quite sure. But his potential ceiling is a bit higher than Barber's IMO.

The next OJ Simpson? I'm not even sure what that means.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
4lifecowboy;2037114 said:

His off-field behavior isn't THAT bad.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
He is going to Miami while according to the media he was :laugh2:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2037069 said:
Is McFadden that much better than what we have in Barber? I mean, worth all the speculation of trading both #1s to get him? Then what about Barber? What role does he have if we do get McFadden? Does barber go back to being a third down back? I'm sure he would not accept that role well.

Just doesn't make sense unless DMC is all that and a bag of chips. Honestly, I didn't see allot of McFadden at Ark so I am relying on second hand accounts and highlight reel stuff.
i approve of this thread. but seriously the role barber would have would be the best role for him which is goalline/closer type of back. but that all depends on 2 things #1 if we draft McFadden and #2 if barber want to get a huge deal(which i don't see jerry giving him whether we draft McFadden or not)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2037069 said:

From the aspect of getting from point A (handoff) to point B (endzone) in a timely manner--Yes Siree!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Barber needs a complimentary back. IMO, we need NOT be trading up and losing picks on ANY complimentary back when you have holes at CB, S, WR.....it's just stupid.....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MB3 is a just above average runner. His value to the team is his "Get the F off me, BOY!" attitude.

That attitude makes his running more effective, but he'd be even MORE effective as a backup with a "Superstar" as the starter.

Look how our offense did with MB3 as the backup last year... now imagine D-Mac starting in place of JuJo.

Nuff said.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Rack;2037199 said:
MB3 is a just above average runner. His value to the team is his "Get the F off me, BOY!" attitude.

That attitude makes his running more effective, but he'd be even MORE effective as a backup with a "Superstar" as the starter.

Look how our offense did with MB3 as the backup last year... now imagine D-Mac starting in place of JuJo.

Nuff said.

Never heard your opinion on this, but I can't disagree, Barber is best in his role as a backup really. Yet people want us to just get a complimentary back, and Barber be the feature back. I don't think he is best suited for this role, but if we have to do it, hopefully I am wrong.

Guess this is my problem with the situation. Barber being the feature back is a problem when you have to think about drafting a RB in the first round to go with him. Just doesn't make sense financially.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I think that because of Barber's running style, his chance of injury increases. With him being the feature back and taking the load of the carries, that injury risk increases even the more. While Barber is an asset to this team, we better have someone that can step in and start in the event that he does go down with injury. Such RB can be had in either the first or second round. I don't know if we need to have McFadden, but I would definitely want the best that we can get considering our draft slots. I would hate to have to go for an extended period of time with the likes of Tyson Thompson or worse Aveon Cason starting.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Sarge;2037191 said:
Barber needs a complimentary back. IMO, we need NOT be trading up and losing picks on ANY complimentary back when you have holes at CB, S, WR.....it's just stupid.....

I agree. If we didn't have such a dire need at cb, even if we do trade for Jones, that it doesn't make sense to trade away so much to get a luxury player. McFadden is a great talent but we already have a pro bowl caliber rb.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I love how any of you can proclaim Barber a career backup, and declare that is the best role for him, when he's never even had a chance to carry the load for an extended period of time. It's like some kind of bad joke.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
TheCount;2037271 said:
I love how any of you can proclaim Barber a career backup, and declare that is teh best role for him, when he's never even had a chance to carry the load for an extended period of time. It's like some kind of bad joke.

I agree, he hasn't had the opportunity to do so yet, however, his running style isn't conducive to holding up over a full season at 20+ carries a game. I think if we tried that, he would end up like Earl Campbell, who was bigger than MB3 and took a hellacious pounding.

Primetime0201

Benched
Reaction score
Well you see the kinda year that Peterson had? Well McFadden had a better college career in a tougher defensive division with NO other weapons besides himself. McFadden also had a more impressive combine. So you can only imagine what he will bring to the NFL. I can garuntee he will have a bigger impact then any WR CB combo in the draft.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2037274 said:
I agree, he hasn't had the opportunity to do so yet, however, his running style isn't conducive to holding up over a full season at 20+ carries a game. I think if we tried that, he would end up like Earl Campbell, who was bigger than MB3 and took a hellacious pounding.

It's not impossible for Marion to learn to better preserve himself if he knows he's going to be THE guy. He's not an idiot.

Everytime he gets a chance to start, he runs like it's his last because he deserved the starting job we would never let him have. He wanted to wow everyone in that playoff game because his contract was up, and he didn't know if we'd resign Jujo and just keep him in the same role.

There's nothing wrong with giving him a chance to see what he can do, instead of forever classifying him as a guy too stupid to pace himself because he's some kind of crazy man.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the starter is. They will still run a platoon system with Barber and a high round draft pick. How many carries Barber gets as the starter will depend on how good the draftee is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2037291 said:
It's not impossible for Marion to learn to better preserve himself if he knows he's going to be THE guy. He's not an idiot.

Everytime he gets a chance to start, he runs like it's his last because he deserved the starting job we would never let him have. He wanted to wow everyone in that playoff game because his contract was up, and he didn't know if we'd resign Jujo and just keep him in the same role.

There's nothing wrong with giving him a chance to see what he can do, instead of forever classifying him as a guy too stupid to pace himself because he's some kind of crazy man.

I don't think Barber will change how he runs, he ran the same way in college as he does now in the pros and that is why he is where he is right now. You don't change what works.