OK. Another Mcfadden thread regarding Barber

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2037302 said:
I don't think Barber will change how he runs, he ran the same way in college as he does now in the pros and that is why he is where he is right now. You don't change what works.

It's not about changing the way he runs, there have been plenty of physical runners in this league. It's about not getting gassed; better conditioning and knowing when it's better to take the 4 yards than to fight through 4 guys 5 more inches.

There's a good chance Barber MAY get hurt, which is why I am completely in favor of bringing in a guy to spell him and help him out but it's ridiculous to say that Barber is best suited as the backup to a star.

Shady12

Reaction score
I want to have another good running back, the type who can handle a lot of carries if Barber were to get hurt, but McFadden would just be crazy. I don't think he's a sure thing for one, and you can help yourself out a lot in spots needed with the picks we'd lose to get McFadden. I wouldn't mind having him if he magically fell into the 20's but otherwise I don't want him, I like other guys as much or more.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
This may sound crazy but draft a good/complimentary back and make the rook the starter. JuJo was the starter last year, did squat and we had the #2 offense and Barber going crazy. All we need is a better JuJo.

Little Jr

Reaction score
TheCount;2037271 said:
I love how any of you can proclaim Barber a career backup, and declare that is the best role for him, when he's never even had a chance to carry the load for an extended period of time. It's like some kind of bad joke.

Couldnt agree more. I really believe MBIII will get 18+ carries a game this year and will prove everyone wrong that he cant be the featured back.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2037427 said:
This may sound crazy but draft a good/complimentary back and make the rook the starter. JuJo was the starter last year, did squat and we had the #2 offense and Barber going crazy. All we need is a better JuJo.

You're right, that does sound crazy not to mention completely disrespectful to a guy that did everything that was asked of him to earn the starting job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2037322 said:
It's not about changing the way he runs, there have been plenty of physical runners in this league. It's about not getting gassed; better conditioning and knowing when it's better to take the 4 yards than to fight through 4 guys 5 more inches.

There's a good chance Barber MAY get hurt, which is why I am completely in favor of bringing in a guy to spell him and help him out but it's ridiculous to say that Barber is best suited as the backup to a star.

I agree that I would expect him to work on conditioning knowing that chances are he will have a bigger role coming into this season I think he will always be a back who will fight for every inch he can make, after all that is what got him to this point. As for what Barber is best suited for I have no problem with him being the starter or the backup for me it is all about who is producing and if Dallas brings in a young RB out of the draft and he shows that he should get the starting job then great if Barber shows he is the best then great because as I said for me it is all about production.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
What has MB3 done to merit some on here to NOT think he can carry the load as a "featured" back? The truth is none of us know how Barber would hold up getting 300+ carries in a season. Personally, I think he'll be successful as a starting back and I see no reason to chase after a McFadden unless he falls to a reasonable spot in the draft. Besides, I don't think MB3 will take a back seat and become a complimentary back any longer! I'm sure he believes he's a legit starter and wants to be paid as such.

khiladi

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2037572 said:
What has MB3 done to merit some on here to NOT think he can carry the load as a "featured" back?

Funny, because those not wanting McFadden say that the reason we shouldn't draft McFadden is because we don't know if can't carry the load in the NFL... What makes people think McFadden can't carry the load, considering his numbers in college as the featured back. Marion Barber wasn't the featured back in college and he hasn't been one in the pros.

Dallas needs a wow player to get over the hump, whether it is Roy Williams or McFadden. Role-players are not as dire a necessity considering the youth of this team.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
khiladi;2037580 said:
Funny, because those not wanting McFadden say that the reason we shouldn't draft McFadden is because we don't know if can't carry the load in the NFL... What makes people think McFadden can't carry the load, considering his numbers in college as the featured back. Marion Barber wasn't the featured back in college and he hasn't been one in the pros.

Dallas needs a wow player to get over the hump, whether it is Roy Williams or McFadden. Role-players are not as dire a necessity considering the youth of this team.
At least we KNOW Barber can play w/ the big boys! We know NOTHING about D-Mac in relation to the NFL game...it all speculation as of now!

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2037609 said:
At least we KNOW Barber can play w/ the big boys! We know NOTHING about D-Mac in relation to the NFL game...it all speculation as of now!
i guess with this thinking we should only sign FA running backs because we know they can "play with the big boys".

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
TheCount;2037322 said:

If Barber paced himself, he wouldn't be as good of a back. His best attribute is his Barberian attitude. If he changes that, he is useless to us.

BehindEnemyLinez;2037572 said:
What has MB3 done to merit some on here to NOT think he can carry the load as a "featured" back? The truth is none of us know how Barber would hold up getting 300+ carries in a season. Personally, I think he'll be successful as a starting back and I see no reason to chase after a McFadden unless he falls to a reasonable spot in the draft. Besides, I don't think MB3 will take a back seat and become a complimentary back any longer! I'm sure he believes he's a legit starter and wants to be paid as such.

Yes, so did Troy Hambrick.......course I'm not saying they are the same talent, but the point is, just cause he thinks that doesn't mean thats what we should do. With Barber's style, he is best in limited carries. Hopefully we get a back that can at least cut Barber's carries in half, cause that is what is best for the team and him.

khiladi;2037580 said:

Exactly why I want to make a trade in this draft, I don't care where, up or down. Either move up a little or alot for an impact player (doesn't matter as much about who to me, preferably a CB or RB), or move down for better value in the second round.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
4lifecowboy;2037114 said:
This is only my opinion, but McFadden is potentally the next OJ Simpson(thats who he reminds me of) is that worth gambling on I'm not quite sure. But his potential ceiling is a bit higher than Barber's IMO.

Yes, that O.J. had quite a cutting and slashing style.
McFadden would probably perfer to be compared to other runnings backs.

jjktkk

Reaction score
khiladi;2037580 said:

Reguardless of whether McFadden can carry the load as the #1 guy in the NFL, the Cowboys would have to give up way too much to get him. IMO its not worth it to mortgage your whole draft and probably next years 1st rounder for a rb. Plus you said Barber wasn't the featured back in college. He shared the backfield with Lawrence Mulroney. McFadden shared carries with Felix Jones in Arkansas. So not exactly a viable argument there.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheCount;2037271 said:
I love how any of you can proclaim Barber a career backup, and declare that is the best role for him, when he's never even had a chance to carry the load for an extended period of time. It's like some kind of bad joke.

Figured this would be obvious...

Barber needs to run with wreckless abandon to be effective (in his way). He cannot stay health if he does that as a feature back for the whole season. Period.

He needs a role where he can run like that all the time, every game. That role is as a backup. Now, even if he's a backup teams will gameplan HIM if our starter is at JuJo's level. We need a starter that'll be good enough to hurt teams if they don't spend a considerable amount of time gameplanning him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheCount;2037291 said:
It's not impossible for Marion to learn to better preserve himself if he knows he's going to be THE guy. He's not an idiot.

Everytime he gets a chance to start, he runs like it's his last because he deserved the starting job we would never let him have. He wanted to wow everyone in that playoff game because his contract was up, and he didn't know if we'd resign Jujo and just keep him in the same role.

There's nothing wrong with giving him a chance to see what he can do, instead of forever classifying him as a guy too stupid to pace himself because he's some kind of crazy man.

Who the hell called MB3 stupid? Why do you feel the need to put words in peoples' mouths?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Rack;2038005 said:
Figured this would be obvious...

Barber needs to run with wreckless abandon to be effective (in his way). He cannot stay health if he does that as a feature back for the whole season. Period.

He needs a role where he can run like that all the time, every game. That role is as a backup. Now, even if he's a backup teams will gameplan HIM if our starter is at JuJo's level. We need a starter that'll be good enough to hurt teams if they don't spend a considerable amount of time gameplanning him.

Neither you, nor anyone else, knows if Barber can carry the load. So you'll excuse me if I politely disagree with your opinions on the matter.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheCount;2038011 said:
Neither you, nor anyone else, knows if Barber can carry the load. So you'll excuse me if I politely disagree with your opinions on the matter.

Politely? That would certainly surprise me in this case.

And regarding whether or not MB3 can carry the load, I didn't say he couldn't. I said he couldn't do it with his "Barbarian" running style. Sure he can "Pace himself" but then he wouldn't be the same runner, would he?

DFWJC

Reaction score
You need two good RBs in todays NFL. The linebackers are bigger and faster than many of the RBs just 10 years ago (or in Emmitts day) let alone back in the "old" days. In fact, some of the DE fit that category.

Count on it, even San Diego will be looking for a good RB to pair with LT. It protects your assets and prolongs careers.

khiladi

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2037671 said:
Exactly why I want to make a trade in this draft, I don't care where, up or down. Either move up a little or alot for an impact player (doesn't matter as much about who to me, preferably a CB or RB), or move down for better value in the second round.

Jerry was trying to plug holes long enough, and he learned his lesson. We saw how big the impact of a 'wow' player was to this team when Jerry brought in T.O. When T.O. went down our offense sputtered, even with a franchise QB and Pro-Bowl tight-end, and our role players couldn't get the job done.

You crush teams and leave no doubt with talent, not role-players.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;2038030 said:
Jerry was trying to plug holes long enough, and he learned his lesson. We saw how big the impact of a 'wow' player was to this team when Jerry brought in T.O. When T.O. went down our offense sputtered, even with a franchise QB and Pro-Bowl tight-end, and our role players couldn't get the job done.

You crush teams and leave no doubt with talent, not role-players.

Very nicely put.

We're solid at WR so we don't "Need" a WR out of this draft (not to mention this is a sorry year for drafting WRs).

If we get pacman *gag* we'll be solid at CB (assuming he stays out of the many millions of strip clubs in Dallas) so we won't NEED to draft a CB early.

We have people complaining about Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter.... well guess what we're gonna get with the #22 and #28 picks? That's right, another Marcs Spears and Bobby Carpenter. Would anyone be against trading Spears and Carp RIGHT NOW for, say, Ladanian Tomlinson? Of course we'd have to trade a little more than that for DMAC (and I do mean A LITTLE), but you get the point.

That said, I'm not one of the people complaining about Carp. The dude can't be expected to compete for a starting job when you keep changing his position every year and teach him a new defense his first two years in the process. Seriously, be realistic people.