OK. Jerry is Done

stiletto

Reaction score
I haven't had much time the last couple of weeks to watch the Witten stuff with Jerry because of some family emergencies but I just watched a lot of the video. It is safe to say Jerry is on the "Duck Watching" side of life...

I mean I am getting old, we are all getting old...but I think it is safe to say that Stephen is now in charge and it is probably for the better. Hope everyone agrees....

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
I haven't had much time the last couple of weeks to watch the Witten stuff with Jerry because of some family emergencies but I just watched a lot of the video. It is safe to say Jerry is on the "Duck Watching" side of life...

I mean I am getting old, we are all getting old...but I think it is safe to say that Stephen is now in charge and it is probably for the better. Hope everyone agrees....
I'd rather have Jerry in charge. He won 3 rings and he earned what he has. Stephen inherited everything.

stiletto

Reaction score
It's an honor to be moved to the drama zone, the regular forums are as boring and as lifeless as it gets.. LOL

Forums likes this are dying anyways, better to talk freely.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That transition started several years ago. Stephen just didn't take over in the last few weeks or months. But yea, anyone who thinks Jerry is still calling the shots isn't paying attention.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
You guys know the Phrases: Like father like son and Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The Jones Family will run things for generations to come . They all have egos to go along with it as well . So until one of them decides to step down and just be an owner the cycle will continue. Yes Jerry was the owner when the team won 3 SBs ... but the pre cap days are long gone , you need the ability to adapt and overcome.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That transition started several years ago. Stephen just didn't take over in the last few weeks or months. But yea, anyone who thinks Jerry is still calling the shots isn't paying attention.
TRUE...Stephen took over unofficially about 5 years ago..he ,Will McClay and like it or not folks, JASON GARRETT. I think Jerry couldn't evolve with the times,as often happens in life and business...so sometimes change is a good thing. That's a case and point for this offseason. Out with the stale,in with the new. Sometimes guys you must churn the top of the roster too. That's what we have done.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Charlotte Jones handles different aspects than player movement etc..but make no mistake,she's involved in each step of the evaluation process. Mostly just listening.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You guys know the Phrases: Like father like son and Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The Jones Family will run things for generations to come . They all have egos to go along with it as well . So until one of them decides to step down and just be an owner the cycle will continue. Yes Jerry was the owner when the team won 3 SBs ... but the pre cap days are long gone , you need the ability to adapt and overcome.
You need an ego to run and own a sports franchise,and if you don't,your prolly not going to be successful. That's the truth. You get into this business because you HAVE BALLS and the conviction it takes in the first place.Jerry was great in his day,a mover and shaker. Now he's PT Barnum... a lot of hot air,talk and pretty much the guy who delegates to others. He's a showman,period. That's him today. The real work is done over the past few years by the scouts,staff,and Stephen Jones,Will McClay and Garrett. Jerry never could evolve on the player side of it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Stephen is a different beast if you will,than Daddy Jones. He chooses to have the wherewithal to actually make football decisions based on the feed back he gets from his scouts and the defacto GM ,Will MCclay. Garrett has say so..but defers to McClay. Jerrys problem was he would choose to go "off the reservation" if you will during the draft.. Morris Claiborne is a prime example.After that year Stephen Jones essentially took over along with Will MCclay. Jerry lost another power struggle the year Johnny Manziel came out. That's when Stevie said no Daddy...we will stick to our draft board. They had Zack Martin rated higher ,so they took him. WISE MOVE!!! So I think we all should be encouraged.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
You need an ego to run and own a sports franchise,and if you don't,your prolly not going to be successful. That's the truth. You get into this business because you HAVE BALLS and the conviction it takes in the first place.Jerry was great in his day,a mover and shaker. Now he's PT Barnum... a lot of hot air,talk and pretty much the guy who delegates to others. He's a showman,period. That's him today. The real work is done over the past few years by the scouts,staff,and Stephen Jones,Will McClay and Garrett. Jerry never could evolve on the player side of it.
Stephen is a different beast if you will,than Daddy Jones. He chooses to have the wherewithal to actually make football decisions based on the feed back he gets from his scouts and the defacto GM ,Will MCclay. Garrett has say so..but defers to McClay. Jerrys problem was he would choose to go "off the reservation" if you will during the draft.. Morris Claiborne is a prime example.After that year Stephen Jones essentially took over along with Will MCclay. Jerry lost another power struggle the year Johnny Manziel came out. That's when Stevie said no Daddy...we will stick to our draft board. They had Zack Martin rated higher ,so they took him. WISE MOVE!!! So I think we all should be encouraged.

The problem is the NFL is forever changing . You have to adapt along with it , or be left behind. Of course in Business you want an EGO and Balls ... But this is an NFL team and it take more then that. If Jerry wants to run the Business side of the team liek that awesome, he has shown that he is one of the best. Proof is the value of the Cowboys and everything Jerry touches. Jerry says all the time that the Cowboys are a family business. I agree and disagree with him some what.

With family members in all the top positions in the team no one is held accountable. In the real world a GM or other positions they are . Its either perform or die. You cant fire the GM when he is the owner. So it leaves room for the same mistakes over and over. You know in past 23 years there is only 3 NFC team to not be in a conference Championship game , Cowboys , Commanders and Lions. two of those teams have meddling owners.

The Cowboys have a roster built since 2014 that could of went to the Super Bowl EASY. You can blame Garret all you want , but he is only a small problem and honestly no one knows for sure how much. Watching All or Nothing , showed that when Jerry speaks everyone just nods and agrees.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think it is safe to say that Stephen is now in charge and it is probably for the better.

We hope so, but that remains to be seen. Who trained Stephen? Probably Jerry.

However, no two people are exactly alike, so Stephen will definitely be different, could be worse of course, though from what we've seen the last few years I'd say there's no question it's better...

Rayman70

Reaction score
The problem is the NFL is forever changing . You have to adapt along with it , or be left behind. Of course in Business you want an EGO and Balls ... But this is an NFL team and it take more then that. If Jerry wants to run the Business side of the team liek that awesome, he has shown that he is one of the best. Proof is the value of the Cowboys and everything Jerry touches. Jerry says all the time that the Cowboys are a family business. I agree and disagree with him some what.

With family members in all the top positions in the team no one is held accountable. In the real world a GM or other positions they are . Its either perform or die. You cant fire the GM when he is the owner. So it leaves room for the same mistakes over and over. You know in past 23 years there is only 3 NFC team to not be in a conference Championship game , Cowboys , Commanders and Lions. two of those teams have meddling owners.

The Cowboys have a roster built since 2014 that could of went to the Super Bowl EASY. You can blame Garret all you want , but he is only a small problem and honestly no one knows for sure how much. Watching All or Nothing , showed that when Jerry speaks everyone just nods and agrees.
great point. I agree. Jerry is still running the business side..ie promotional stuff..sales,marketing the team. That's always been his forte. The man sure knows how to sell a product.Thats never changed. That's why I call him PT Barnum. Birds of a feather really. Stephen Jones is more of a behind the scenes guy and sticks to player moves etc. He is a good mix with JG and MCclay. I like where the team is headed,altho I think behind closed doors,JG may be on a short leash this year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
They were a SB team in 2014...but to be fair, its never ever easy. But the thing is,they were out right screwed in GB by a bias that came from 1 man..Roger Goodell. Yes, the ref admitted later it was a catch...and so did Goodell. What good does that do though? IMO..we were the best team in the league in 2014 and got robbed.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'd rather have Jerry in charge. He won 3 rings and he earned what he has. Stephen inherited everything.
:facepalm:.......if JERRY won those three SB'S in the early 90's, why hasn't HE been able to win just ONE in the last 22 years?............here's a hint.....HE didn't put those SB teams together........he just happened to own the team that someone else build for him......long time fans already know that.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
They were a SB team in 2014...but to be fair, its never ever easy. But the thing is,they were out right screwed in GB by a bias that came from 1 man..Roger Goodell. Yes, the ref admitted later it was a catch...and so did Goodell. What good does that do though? IMO..we were the best team in the league in 2014 and got robbed.
SB teams have top 10 D's. We were a playoff team.