OK. Jerry is Done

Rayman70

Reaction score
:facepalm:.......if JERRY won those three SB'S in the early 90's, why hasn't HE been able to win just ONE in the last 22 years?............here's a hint.....HE didn't put those SB teams together........he just happened to own the team that someone else build for him......long time fans already know that.
well said..and 100% true.

Rayman70

Reaction score
SB teams have top 10 D's. We were a playoff team.
that year,we used the rope a dope type of bending defense that you would think wouldn't be very wise..but Rod M. was smart...he knew our personel,and used them accordingly...and where I disagree is,he made that formula work..so much so we had GB on the ropes and if not for a badly botched call by a ref,we were on to Seattle for the Championship game,a team we already beat pretty soundly. IMO...we were a bonafide SB team that year. You would agree,that year felt special after we beat Seattle.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Check this out, boys. The lunatic that has had a strangle hold on power over the Cowboys the last 20 plus years regardless of success? Turns out he doesn't even use that power anymore. He lets his son do stuff.

Chest bumps all around. Go and tell the others.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could you tell me the exact date on that so I can be really informed too?
raw

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones does not run the Cowboys. Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys. Nothing gets done without the approval of Jerry. Stephen is an adviser and not a very good one considering his equally horrific track record.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Stephen Jones does not run the Cowboys. Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys. Nothing gets done without the approval of Jerry. Stephen is an adviser and not a very good one considering his equally horrific track record.

We don't know exactly what the setup is at Dallas these days. Stephen may be running things but prefers to stay in the background and let Jerry take the heat. Or Jerry could still be running things 100%. Or it could be that some things Jerry controls and some things Stephen controls. We have no way of knowing.

But as far as Stephen's "... track record", at exactly what point are you talking about? The last 2 years, 5 years, 8 years, 10 years? Even if Stephen is running things, something as large and complex as an NFL team you don't just take over in one fell swoop, it would have to be a gradual thing, barring the sudden death or incapacity of the one who was running things, and that hasn't happened.

As Jerry ages I would suspect Stephen would take over more and more control, since at some point Jerry will be gone, but again we just have no way of knowing. I'm willing to see how things pan out in the next few years, and especially if Jerry dies or gives up control of the team.

I don't foresee any way I'm not going to be a Cowboys fan as long as I'm able to understand football (at least to some degree), so whoever runs the team, I'll still be a fan...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
:facepalm:.......if JERRY won those three SB'S in the early 90's, why hasn't HE been able to win just ONE in the last 22 years?............here's a hint.....HE didn't put those SB teams together........he just happened to own the team that someone else build for him......long time fans already know that.

Winning Super Bowls is hard, if it wasn't so surely by now the Lions would have won one, they've had some very good teams in the last 20 years, so I'll partly give Jerry a pass on the no SBs, they've lost to 7 different teams in the last 22 years, could partly be due to just running into the "hot" team at the wrong time. But I digress.

It's the just two playoff wins in the last 22 years that shows Jerry was NOT much of a reason for having the 3 SB wins.

But really, even those were partly due to luck - the Walker trade was so huge, it gave the Cowboys so much influx of talent so quickly, though of course you have to be able to mold the talent and draft well with the draft picks, and for that I do credit Jimmy, and just by nature of Jerry being the hands on guy he is, he had to have SOMETHING to do with it.

Just not that much, IN MY OPINION...

JustChip

Reaction score

Spot on. And he has spent the last 2+ decades trying to dispel the thought that it was all Jimmy. The thing is, of which he is too blind to see, that every year that passes is simply further validating that it was Jimmy in spite of Jerry.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You need an ego to run and own a sports franchise,and if you don't,your prolly not going to be successful. That's the truth. You get into this business because you HAVE BALLS and the conviction it takes in the first place.Jerry was great in his day,a mover and shaker. Now he's PT Barnum... a lot of hot air,talk and pretty much the guy who delegates to others. He's a showman,period. That's him today. The real work is done over the past few years by the scouts,staff,and Stephen Jones,Will McClay and Garrett. Jerry never could evolve on the player side of it.

At some point the Cowboys turned into a business instead of a team that cares about winning.

The only way they will really care bout winning again is if business is down.

You can say a lot of negative things about Cowboys fans but we are a loyal fan base and get overly excited about any type of success.

That's why you got people on here still supporting Garrett after all of these years. 8 years for a coach that hasn't won anything is a horrible standard for this franchise.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's exactly what I expected.

Sorry that I asked you to back up your fantasy story of Stephen running the show which caused you to run out of imagination.

Jerry is the GM. Jerry makes all final decisions. Not Stephen Jones. Not Will McClay. Jerry. It's really that simple. It's in their job titles. We don't need to pretend otherwise to feel better. Stephen sucks anyway. He's no better.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry. It's really that simple.

If you simplify it to that degree, you could be correct. But you can't simplify it to that degree, and resolve the question as to whether or not the failure to win another SB after XXX is due to Jerry. And in say, 1996, at 32 years of age I doubt Stephen had as much input as he does now, at age 53, so what happened in the late 1990's may not be the same as what's happening now.

Put it this way, if Stephen and McClay and Garrett all said this draft "We need to draft Vander Esch in the first round if he's there at 19" and Jerry said "Ok, let's do it", then in the simple way you put it, yes Jerry made the "final" decision. But if Vander Esch flops, who's responsible? Again, in the simplest terms, it's Jerry.

In that instance Jerry did nothing but rubber stamp the decision of Stephen, et al. So any failure of Vander Esch is due in actual circumstances to Stephen, et al, but Jerry will of course be "responsible" because as I learned in college "You can designate authority but you can't designate responsibility".

But you can't use such simplicity to discuss how and why the Cowboys haven't been back to the SB or had much playoff success in the last 22 years, there's just more to it than who makes the "final" decision...